Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors???
Quote | Reply
I upgraded the thermostat in my place for the sole purpose of using air conditioning at night to create a cool sleeping environment and to keep it constant for the best recovery sleep possible. I have been following the technology from about 40,000 feet for the past few years and the killer use-case for me was these thermostats with remote sensors. I purchased an Ecobee4 and it comes with a remote sensor by default. So far I have noticed that it is either not wildly accurate or just takes too long to connect with the Ecobee and the temp it says is never what the temp actually is. I have another device which measures temp and humidity with a display and I know for sure the Ecobee is measuring too high. I am not sure if I got a dud or what, but something makes me question how good these remote sensors are.

Anyone else have one and use it? If you aren't using an Ecobee thermostat what are you using?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two Ecobees in my house, each with a remote sensor. By default, it averages the temperature at the remote sensor with the sensor built in to the thermostat. You can modify that in the settings if, for example, you don't care about the temp by the thermostat itself, but want it to go by the remote sensor temp only. If that temp seems to consistently be off by a few degrees warm, or a few degrees cool, you can adjust your desired temp range to account for that. If the remote sensor is off in an inconsistent manner, then yeah, maybe you got a dud and should contact Ecobee for a replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors??? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
I have two Ecobees in my house, each with a remote sensor. By default, it averages the temperature at the remote sensor with the sensor built in to the thermostat. You can modify that in the settings if, for example, you don't care about the temp by the thermostat itself, but want it to go by the remote sensor temp only. If that temp seems to consistently be off by a few degrees warm, or a few degrees cool, you can adjust your desired temp range to account for that. If the remote sensor is off in an inconsistent manner, then yeah, maybe you got a dud and should contact Ecobee for a replacement.

I have it setup to use just that one sensor and not average it so sounds like maybe I have a dud sensor. I am planning on giving their CS a call tomorrow.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recovery sleep? Take that shit to the other forum!

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have an ecobee. Our t-stat upstairs is located in the small hall off the master. We put the sensor in the back bedroom because both rooms are above the garage and often experience a 5-7 degree swing compared to the hall. We've been pleased. It seems that most of the time the sensor reads 1-2 degrees different now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got two ecobee's each with a remote, my remotes seem to be pretty close. When I first got them I put a separate thermometer next to the remotes to check their accuracy and they were pretty spot on.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors??? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a pair of Ecobee's, no remote sensors tho. The Ecobees will let you adjust their calibration tho.

The Ecobee's help me hold my ground in the "spousal HVAC challenge". Wife wants lots of AC in Summer and lots of heat in Winter. Costs me a fortune because it's a big old house so high HVAC costs. Ecobee will happily returned to the programmed setting after 2hrs so each time my wife monkeys with the thermostat, 2hrs later the Ecobee goes back to it's programmed setting. The Ecobees paid for themselves in a couple weeks.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors??? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
We have a pair of Ecobee's, no remote sensors tho. The Ecobees will let you adjust their calibration tho.

The Ecobee's help me hold my ground in the "spousal HVAC challenge". Wife wants lots of AC in Summer and lots of heat in Winter. Costs me a fortune because it's a big old house so high HVAC costs. Ecobee will happily returned to the programmed setting after 2hrs so each time my wife monkeys with the thermostat, 2hrs later the Ecobee goes back to it's programmed setting. The Ecobees paid for themselves in a couple weeks.

Ha, ha, ha. Good story. You are King of your castle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should also look into one of these

https://www.chilitechnology.com/...ube-single-zone-full

Total game changer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Honeywell redlink capable stats work well with the wireless sensors. I have them in some of my clients buildings where they ant the stats out of sight. They have good range.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YXT60V2/ref=asc_df_B00YXT60V25287798/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00YXT60V2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167138746282&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3627323468054227639&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005523&hvtargid=pla-340687270724

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-C7189R1004-Wireless-Indoor-Sensor/dp/B005Y0VTB0/ref=pd_sim_60_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B005Y0VTB0&pd_rd_r=4WD08J5K83APR7QFM9GF&pd_rd_w=uTGsf&pd_rd_wg=JTbak&psc=1&refRID=4WD08J5K83APR7QFM9GF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a nest at the Black Friday price. Kinda not worth it since we dont have AC (not much use in Vancouver except for like 5 days a year).

But it looks pretty badass on the wall. And I can talk to my freaking thermostat!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors??? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
You should also look into one of these

https://www.chilitechnology.com/...ube-single-zone-full

Total game changer.

Wow, thanks for the recommendation. This works great in Tucson I imagine. I do need to clear the air of moisture being in Florida so there are other reasons to run the ac.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors??? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

I likewise participate in the "spousal HVAC challenge". I'd be happy if she could just settle on a "temperature". But, in the summer she wants it like 62...and in the winter anything under 75 she's going to freeze to death. I don't have an ecobee, but our new 18 SEER HVAC with multistage compressor and heat-pump came with a Nexia thermostat and whole home control system---I guess that's what you get for $12,000. It does a similar thing...and I can remote login and check the setting from my phone anywhere in the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bedjet which blows cool (room temperature) or heated air under the sheets - works really well.

BedJet
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors??? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

I likewise participate in the "spousal HVAC challenge". I'd be happy if she could just settle on a "temperature". But, in the summer she wants it like 62...and in the winter anything under 75 she's going to freeze to death. I don't have an ecobee, but our new 18 SEER HVAC with multistage compressor and heat-pump came with a Nexia thermostat and whole home control system---I guess that's what you get for $12,000. It does a similar thing...and I can remote login and check the setting from my phone anywhere in the world.
Dang, 18 SEER is serious.

We're in the deep South. Lots of thunder storms. Last Feb a nearby lightning strike took out one of our two >15yr old HVAC units. Insurance covered the new unit. Very nice. Now we just need lightning to take out the other old unit.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Dang, 18 SEER is serious.

We're in the deep South. Lots of thunder storms. Last Feb a nearby lightning strike took out one of our two >15yr old HVAC units. Insurance covered the new unit. Very nice. Now we just need lightning to take out the other old unit.

I'm in Dallas. Plenty of thunderstorms, tornados, etc....but I cant even get enough hail damage to have the roof replaced.

With incentives and what not the 18 SEER was cheaper than the 15 SEER over 10 years (longer warranty, longer interest free payment plan, lower usage, etc). The unit is also multi-stage and has a 6 SEER heat pump, so it has a better efficiency across the operating range, too. Previous unit was resistive heat, and 6 SEER AC. The payment is offset by my drop in usage from the decrepit 19 year old unit it replaced. My average electric bill was cut in half pre/post. We've now had the unit for 18 months. So, I can say that honestly.

Hmmm....I might have been tempting to take an ARC welder to the other unit...and just have a freak-of-nature event that took BOTH units out at once.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors??? [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
microspawn wrote:
I have a bedjet which blows cool (room temperature) or heated air under the sheets - works really well.

BedJet

On the surface it looks interesting. So like the other link for the different product above, does it actually cool air or does it just recirculate air that happens to be cooler based on location.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it just recirculates room temperature air. hence why we went with the chilicube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, the bedjet just warms the air or circulates the room air. however, you would be surprised how effective a cool breeze is under the sheets. It allowed for us to change the night summer temperatures from 68 (what my wife wanted) to 76.

I also like the white noise of a fan so that helps as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a wireless thermostats and use it with remote sensors??? [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
microspawn wrote:
yes, the bedjet just warms the air or circulates the room air. however, you would be surprised how effective a cool breeze is under the sheets. It allowed for us to change the night summer temperatures from 68 (what my wife wanted) to 76.

I also like the white noise of a fan so that helps as well.

Thank you for the follow up. I am going to have to try one or both of these out.

Quote Reply