Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what kind of bike do i want/need
Quote | Reply
My uses for the bike would be to commute to work a day or two a week (8.5 miles each way). Ride with the kids when they want, they are young and just starting so not much there. And maybe ride on some trails by me once or twice a month. The trails are mostly gravel or dirt with some rocks and roots. When bike commuting I would have to leave the bike locked up outside so I do not want to spend very much at all. The work commute rides will be recovery rides mostly, I run commute the other days, but maybe a harder ride in place of a run workout if I feel I need a break. I guess I am between a cx bike and maybe a fat bike. Looked on bikesdirect and they have both for around $400. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: what kind of bike do i want/need [bfinz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A secondhand Specialized Tricross or similar?
i.e. something like a CX or "gravel bike" but ensuring it has the ability to take mudguards easily if you want to use it in wet weather for the commute.

I haven't tried a fatbike. Could be fun in the right conditions, but I suspect i'd find it frustratingly heavy and cumbersome for commuting or other non-extreme rides!
Quote Reply
Re: what kind of bike do i want/need [bfinz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own both types of bikes from bikes direct. fantom cross and a sturgis fatbike. Both great bikes for the price, I have no issues with them and their business model (some people do and some LBSs will not like you). For everything besides the trails (with rocks and roots) the fantom cross bike would be perfect. If your for sure going on the rocks and roots, get the fat bike.You might want to up your budget to say $800 as you can get some nicer upgrades at that price such as hydro disc brakes.

I would also recommend going to their sister site, bikeisland.com, its their scratch & dent site. My fatbike is from there and it was $150 off because of some scratches on the chain stays. I have yet to find those scratches but added plenty of my own. downside with that site is you will have to dig to find what you want (sometimes they sell 3/4 of a bike).
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Dec 1, 17 8:14
Quote Reply