Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More road trip advice: Colorado/Utah
Quote | Reply
The wife and I are planning a 4-week road trip through the western USA in the second half of May / first half of June next year. Our son is doing two semesters as an exchange student at the University of Utah at the moment, and we'll take the opportunity to visit him in Salt Lake City. We'll be flying into Denver (best flight connection for us), so these are the two fixed points. Everything else is flexible and can be planned around these two destinations.
What are the must sees around that area, what should we avoid because it's too touristy?
We're definitely more interested in the outdoors/national parks than in visiting cities. We'll rent a car/SUV and will probably organize camping gear to take along. That said, overnight stays on campgrounds are fine, but the wife is no fan of extended camping trips below a certain level of comfort :-)
Quote Reply
Re: More road trip advice: Colorado/Utah [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryce, Zion, Arches and Grand Canyon are all touristy for a reason, but in early June (except for memorial Day weekend) you should be okay. I was at Bryce last 4th of July and it was like Disneyland. The rangers said that memorial Day and the 4th are their busiest times. But even then if you get into the park at sun rise and you would be a step ahead of the crowds.

We did enjoy rt 12 in Utah and I have heard that the San Jaun Skyway is also really nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Sand Dunes NP and Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. I'd doubt that either would be crowded. The drives to/from can be phenomenal! Could head to SW Colorado (Durango way) and hit Mesa Verde. That place is amazing!! Ancient cliff dwellings. See how the Ancient Puebloens (formally known as the Anasazi's) lived.

If you head this way, stay in Crested Butte or Telluride, not Montrose. Too many amazing places closer to those towns whether camping or hoteling it.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In May the temps will be awesome in Utah.
Moab is a mountain biker/kayaker/4 wheeler paradise.
For the less adventurous, Arches National Park is beautiful. There are short hikes in the park.
If you have a day to rent mountain bikes and you have average/advanced skills, the Whole Enchilada is amazing.

Bryce Canyon is more spectacular than Zion Canyon only because of the hudus and stark, red rock. Zion is worth the trip and will put you moderately close to the north Rim of Gran Canyon, which should be open by May.

To continue the mountain bike theme, Fruita in Colorado has a number of great trails.

I am also partial to Salida, CO because a buddy rents a house there every summer so I have a free place to stay. There is kayaking right in town.

Expect cool mornings with afternoon highs in the 70s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great suggestions already, I really appreciate it!
Good point about 4th of July, we'll need to keep that in my mind in our planning.

ETA: just realized we'll be there in May/June, not July, so we should be safe from the 4th of July crowds :-)
When exactly is memorial day (excuse my ignorance)?
Last edited by: malte: Nov 30, 17 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can probably stay AirBNB for about 20-30 more than a campground costs, with more comforts. I stayed in several nice places in Colorado Springs for 50-60 a night.

We rented an entire condo in Brians Head Utah for 60-70 a night (through AirBNB) if memory serves. It was within 60-90 minutes of several of the big parks, and was in a pretty area in and of itself.

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun. If your wife likes hiking, climb a 14er in Colorado - though you will need to take some time to get used to the altitude.
Quote Reply
Re: More road trip advice: Colorado/Utah [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moab is awesome and you could rent bikes for Mt biking, slick rock trail is touristy but great if you've never done it before. The hikes in Bryce can be anywhere from one mile to 20 but hit the trail at sunrise and you can stay and eat at the park or up the road at a bigger resort and camp there too. Dinner at Sundance is nice and scenic too with great hikes from the resort and only about 60 mins from the U.

'STICK EM UP PUNK ITS THE FUN LOVING CRIMINAL'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
Great suggestions already, I really appreciate it!
Good point about 4th of July, we'll need to keep that in my mind in our planning.

ETA: just realized we'll be there in May/June, not July, so we should be safe from the 4th of July crowds :-)
When exactly is memorial day (excuse my ignorance)?

If you're going to be in CO in May, plan on one good snow dump. Either plan on Netflixing out the storm, or bring your cold weather gear and snow chains. Other than that, the weather is generally awesome that time of year.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: More road trip advice: Colorado/Utah [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
We did enjoy rt 12 in Utah

X2 on Route 12. We drove from Zion to Bryce to Staircase Escalante to Capitol Reef then on to Moab for Arches and Canyonlands a few weeks ago. Spectacular!

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you do not drive faster than the speed limit in Utah.
Quote Reply
Re: More road trip advice: Colorado/Utah [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:
Great Sand Dunes NP and Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP. I'd doubt that either would be crowded. The drives to/from can be phenomenal! Could head to SW Colorado (Durango way) and hit Mesa Verde. That place is amazing!! Ancient cliff dwellings. See how the Ancient Puebloens (formally known as the Anasazi's) lived.

If you head this way, stay in Crested Butte or Telluride, not Montrose. Too many amazing places closer to those towns whether camping or hoteling it.

May in CB and/or Telluride? Bring your mud gear (not snow, mud). We get people roaming this way every May thinking it will be green and warm. Even some from the Denver area who don't get it. We normally don't see real Spring till mid-June and sometimes not really what most would classify as Spring, till late June.

To the OP, Salida is ok because it is on the warmer side of the divide and is at a much lower elevation. Durango is pretty in May, Mesa Verde is good to go in May and the Sand Dunes are great in May. Otherwise I would stick around a day in Denver, hit Boulder and head to Rocky Mountain National Park. Then I would go west. Colorado Monument outside of Grand Junction is beautiful in May as are all the northern Utah parks mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: More road trip advice: Colorado/Utah [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
RockyMtnChic wrote:

May in CB and/or Telluride? Bring your mud gear (not snow, mud). We get people roaming this way every May thinking it will be green and warm. Even some from the Denver area who don't get it. We normally don't see real Spring till mid-June and sometimes not really what most would classify as Spring, till late June.

To the OP, Salida is ok because it is on the warmer side of the divide and is at a much lower elevation. Durango is pretty in May, Mesa Verde is good to go in May and the Sand Dunes are great in May. Otherwise I would stick around a day in Denver, hit Boulder and head to Rocky Mountain National Park. Then I would go west. Colorado Monument outside of Grand Junction is beautiful in May as are all the northern Utah parks mentioned.

Good points to consider! This is the kind of information I was hoping for. Thanks to everybody for the replies!

Cheers,
Malte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably should have included that it may be on the cold side still in May/early June here in CB and in the Telluride area. Though it is a great time/stop to get a cheaper condo or hotel if the wife or you wants to take a break from the camping gear. I

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply