Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Injured and picky - help to choose new running shoes?
Quote | Reply
Hi all.

Have been running a couple of seasons in Kinvara 7.
I really like them for road running, since they´re light and works ok with my feet.
But they are a lousy alternative for wet and slippery Swedish winter roads and wears too fast.
Now - have problems with my hips (overstrained) and forefeet that wants a soft, cosy feeling on the impact.
So I need new alternatives for both road running and one pair for more various terrains/trail.
Tried Saucony Peregrine but felt they were too stiff/hard on impact and ground contact.

So basically I ask for advice on light but sufficiently cushioned/soft feel road shoes and also for mixed terrain shoes.
Thanks guys.

Ps. Training for a couple of HIM:s and IM Kalmar next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Injured and picky - help to choose new running shoes? [brandt_mattias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brandt_mattias wrote:
Hi all.

I really like them for road running, since they´re light and works ok with my feet.
But they are a lousy alternative for wet and slippery Swedish winter roads and wears too fast.
Now - have problems with my hips (overstrained) and forefeet that wants a soft, cosy feeling on the impact.
So I need new alternatives for both road running and one pair for more various terrains/trail.
Tried Saucony Peregrine but felt they were too stiff/hard on impact and ground contact.

So basically I ask for advice on light but sufficiently cushioned/soft feel road shoes and also for mixed terrain shoes.
Thanks guys.

What about something like the Hoka Clifton. Very cushioned, plus lightweight (ish) - 280grams. The soles aren't as big as something like the Stinson, and look and run like a normal running shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Injured and picky - help to choose new running shoes? [brandt_mattias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike zoom fly. Go to a store and try them. I used to run in Newton and this is my favorite shoe. Its cushioned but responsive So it won't feel like you're running on sand like Hoka. Best I can compare it is to running on a treadmill.with a nice flexible deck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big fan of adidas ultra boosts here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of the kinvara that I rotate in and I like them. I’m also using the Hoka Speedgoat on the trail (and roads) which has some cushioning and grip. I haven’t had a chance to try the hoka speed instinct which is an even lighter trail shoe, but worth looking into.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off I see a lot of people who want light and low cushioned. Then when they get into something a bit more cushioned and therefore somewhat heavier their complaints go away. Then bc their complaints are gone they go back to lightweight/low(er) cushion and then their complaints come back. It's a vicious cycle that they refuse to break.

That being said since you say they "works ok" with your feet and that you want a soft cosy feel underfoot then I'm going to suggest that the Kinvara's should not be your daily shoe.

Here is a list of shoes off the top of my head I'd try.

Saucony:
Freedom ISO
Ride ISO

Hoka:
Clifton
tracer

Asics:
Roadhawk
DynaFlyte
Gel Quantum (this a f*cking great shoe, maybe Asics best neutral trainer, pricey)
Gel Pursue 3

Brooks:
Levitate
Ghost
Glycerin if you really want to go plush

Nike:
Vomero

Adidas:
Supernova (great wet weather traction)
Boston

361 Running:
KGM2 -2
Spinject

Based on what you've said the 2-4 shoes I'd try right off the bat would be the Saucony Freedom ISO, Brooks Levitate, Asics Roadhawk, Adidas Boston. These are somewhat in the order I'd rank them based on what you've said. You should try them all on at once if possible take them for a short test run, :20-:30s. If they don't feel good they're not going to 8k down the road. Then select the 2 you think feel the best and pit them against each other on a short test run. That's your shoe.

Trail shoes aren't my specialty.

If you ever make it to Tucson lmk. I'll take you into The Running Shop and fit you to a shoe.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out New Balance Zante v3 and Gobi v2.
Quote Reply
Re: Injured and picky - help to choose new running shoes? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
brandt_mattias wrote:
Hi all.

Thanks guys.

What about something like the Hoka Clifton. Very cushioned, plus lightweight (ish) - 280grams. The soles aren't as big as something like the Stinson, and look and run like a normal running shoe.

/thread
Quote Reply
Re: Injured and picky - help to choose new running shoes? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
No one who isn't used to the look of a Hoka shoe would dare say that, ahah.
Regardless, I wouldn't buy a Clifton 4. The 3 had major defects and the 4 is a much worse shoe all-round.
Quote Reply
Re: Injured and picky - help to choose new running shoes? [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s hard to recommend a particular sneaker to anyone. I usually explain what makes it supportive and suggest they try models from several of the major companies.
Then I tell them to pick the one that’s the most comfortable.

Dr Jay
http://www.Tri-Pod.net
Quote Reply