Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ESPN Fires Another 150 People Today
Quote | Reply
And not for sexual harassment, either. Also, this round of employee cutbacks (there have several previous ones in the recent past) was mostly centered on studio production, digital content and technology, with very little, if any, of the on-air talent getting the ax this time.

Looks like the sports channel is still not performing as well as it should financially, and it's also still paying out big on various broadcast rights (such as to the NFL and the NBA) and not generating the viewership/ad revenue it needs. The subscriber base, which is large, has been steadily declining, too, and I think in some regards it's only because the typical cable subscription package almost always comes with ESPN's various channels -- whether you want them or not -- that's it's making the kind of money it does.

You have to pay for the channel, which is bundled in with your cable package fee, in other words, or you don't get the package. There's also a growing number of people who are cord-cutting, unsubscribing from cable and going with digital streaming services for their viewing needs. ESPN was late to that game but is trying to catch up on its digital programming, hoping to sell itself to viewers as a standalone product (unprotected, though, by being buried in the aforementioned cable TV subscriber package).

John Skipper's memo to ESPN employees - ESPN Front Row

ESPN layoffs: Network cuts about 150 more jobs - Nov. 29, 2017

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Fires Another 150 People Today [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope Dick Vitale was one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kinda get the whole big-picture decline in viewership as a function of cable packaging vs a la carte streaming, but the part that still puzzles me is I'd gladly pay for a stand-alone ESPN viewing service (streaming or not hardly matters any more since I can stream web content directly to my TV through the same cable internet bundle as the TV package)... but instead I gotta pay an extra $100 or whatever for all the other HGTV, Lifetime, & shopping channel horseshit or else the streaming ESPN content is blocked on my web devices too without a cable provider access key.

I don't think the problem is the content, as live sports is still the one premium property that you can't really 'store' very well for on-demand consumption like movies or serial shows; they just need to figure out a better way to charge customers for it rather than being beholden to Comcast and satellite providers, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Fires Another 150 People Today [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

x2 he has got to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MAGA! Thanks, Trump.

Actually, I get no pleasure out of watching the decline of ESPN. Before the internet, things like "Baseball Tonight" and "Sunday Countdown" were really neat. Some of their talking heads were really good. But I rarely watch ESPN any more, and I only occasionally listen to ESPN radio.

Can't say I miss the poker and spelling bees though.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Fires Another 150 People Today [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I can't stand these commentators that are loud and in your face. Maybe Dickie V. and Stephen A. Smith can share a moving truck and pick up Shannon Sharpe from the FS1's offices.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

x2 he has got to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is ESPN still relevant?
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Fires Another 150 People Today [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:
Same here. I can't stand these commentators that are loud and in your face. Maybe Dickie V. and Stephen A. Smith can share a moving truck and pick up Shannon Sharpe from the FS1's offices.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:

x2 he has got to go.

What really annoys me is his loud in your face act really seems like he is trying too hard. He says baby about 3x in each sentence. If you made it a drinking game you would be passed out on the floor before halftime.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Fires Another 150 People Today [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Is ESPN still relevant?

No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cable companies need to change their business model. Even without net neutrality, the days of being forced to buy channels you don't want are numbered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Looks like the sports channel is still not performing as well as it should financially, and it's also still paying out big on various broadcast rights (such as to the NFL and the NBA) and not generating the viewership/ad revenue it needs.

Yeah, we kept up on things even when you were not here. See here. ;)

Interesting financial analysis in the articles I linked. ESPN's basic problem is long term fixed content supply contracts and steady decline in subscribers.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply