Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garrison Keillor...
Quote | Reply
https://www.npr.org/...ta-public-radio-says

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Garrison Keillor... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He sounds like a monster.

The radio personality later told the Star Tribune that he was not, in general, physically demonstrative, and that the incident that led to his firing involved touching a woman's bare skin. "I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches," he said. "She recoiled. I apologized."

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Garrison Keillor... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are times we live in.

My advice? Never apologize.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Her shirt was open in the back, and that constitutes harassment?
Quote Reply
Re: Garrison Keillor... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. He groped her. He's a world class perv. If you disagree then you are a misogynist and are aiding and abetting the rape culture.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Yes. He groped her. He's a world class perv. If you disagree then you are a misogynist and are aiding and abetting the rape culture.

Reign of Terror, boys. The Revolution always eats its own. The guilty AND the innocent inevitably find themselves swept up.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what you get when you don't leave room for the Holy Ghost.

BLeP wrote:
He sounds like a monster.

The radio personality later told the Star Tribune that he was not, in general, physically demonstrative, and that the incident that led to his firing involved touching a woman's bare skin. "I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches," he said. "She recoiled. I apologized."
Quote Reply
Re: Garrison Keillor... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't mean to suggest one way or another whether he's guilty of being a creep or not, as I honestly have no idea and don't follow him enough to form any opinion on his off-air character... only that the quoted story/explanation doesn't seem to add up very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garrison Keillor... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Garrison Keillor... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Her shirt was open in the back, and that constitutes harassment?

She could have come up with something better than that. Was she 14 years old?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keillor published this in the WaPo last night. If that isn't cosmic irony I don't know what is. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Garrison Keillor... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that contributed as much to his firing as his own conduct did.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Garrison Keillor... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
My guess is that contributed as much to his firing as his own conduct did.

Fired for exercising his First Amendment rights!

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just was looking at the announcement that NBC made about firing Matt Laurer. "Our first priority is creating a safe and comfortable work environment" That is all well and good but they admitted it was the first complaint about the guy and that they had just received it. What about some kind of due process? Free speech isn't always safe and comfortable either.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Garrison Keillor... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is all well and good but they admitted it was the first complaint about the guy and that they had just received it. What about some kind of due process?//

Something tells me this is not the case, but several they kind of knew about, and now the lid blowing off. No doubt that they at least called him for a comment and he probably just collapsed knowing the gig was up. If I'm wrong I expect to see his lawsuit soon against the network for wrongful termination.. (Thats a good one!!)
Last edited by: monty: Nov 29, 17 14:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I just was looking at the announcement that NBC made about firing Matt Laurer. "Our first priority is creating a safe and comfortable work environment" That is all well and good but they admitted it was the first complaint about the guy and that they had just received it. What about some kind of due process? Free speech isn't always safe and comfortable either.

There have been plenty of other stories noting that several news organizations had been working on Lauer stories for weeks (if not months) before the complaint was filed. I'm only speculating, but I'd guess that NBC had its lawyers or HR investigators working on this issue well before the complaint came in, and that they had plenty of corroborating information once it was filed. Lauer has also apologized, apparently, which suggests that he may have admitted to some of the conduct, although I would bet that he wouldn't characterize it as sexual assault, but rather a misunderstanding about what he thought was consensual conduct. Purely speculating, but it makes sense to me.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

News this morning says that one of the women claiming harassment had saved several very damning texts from Lauer, and when NBC saw them they decided they had no choice in the matter. Apparently, when the confronted Lauer with that evidence, he didn’t protest the firing.