Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar extension preferences?
Quote | Reply
In the market for new aerobars. I like the new Profile Design's options and updated hardware, and am weighing between the T3+, T4+, and T5+ extensions. My local shops aren't very try-before-you-buy friendly and/or don't carry them all.

My current bars are old Profile Design Split Second extensions with old T2 brackets (kinda like the T4, but with _very_ long upturns). They're tolerable. I have T2's and don't like them (too flat and strain wrists).

Anybody evaluated between these shapes and found one to be Goldilocks?
Any fitters seen preference trends in your clients?
Would you suggest an alternative?

Thanks in advance! -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar extension preferences? [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used the T2+ for ever but after using a set of Profile ZBS clip-ons on my road bike for Ironman Wales last year, found I like the ski-bend shape better than the shape of the T2+ - arms/wrists/hands are in a more natural and comfortable position for me.

The T4+ seems to be identical to the ZBS in terms of upturn angle so I just bought a set of those - still need to install them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently switched from easton attacks to the old style vision clip ons - ski bend version.

The eastons are similar to the T5+, very shallow ski bend, the visions are closer to the T4+ with more of an angle to the bend.

I much prefer the visions.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto others: the choice should be driven by comfort and position, more than anything else. I had the Felt "f" bend bars, and I went with Profile's T1+ Carbon. I absolutely love them, but I figured out that the ski bends are far more comfortable for my and my natural wrist position.

Also, I highly recommend the carbon bars. Those have the elongated end. They look super cool. They are more comfortable to hold. And who knows, they may even be more aero.

I do not have grap tape on my T1+ Carbon bars, because they just look way to cool as pure carbon. Plus, I really do not see a need for grip tape on the extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Split Second angle would be most closely replicated by the 50degree T1 extensions.
The T4 are 30deg
T3 are 40deg
Very few people like the 13deg of the T5

30deg is the minimum I fit people with unless they insist on lower and I can't persuade them that the shallow bend is creating wrist tension.
Most people are happy with 40-50deg.

The T3 carbon would be a fairly safe bet - you get the more solid bracket and nicer armrests than the alloy version and the 40deg angle that works well for most people.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar extension preferences? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input everyone! I was curious if the T5 had promise but doesn't sound like it. I'll start looking for the T3/4 and see which works best.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone! I was curious if the T5 had promise but doesn't sound like it. I'll start looking for the T3/4 and see which works best.

Another brand to look at - U.S.E. Tulas are available in 20, 30, 40 and 50° bends, but you'll likely need to get them shipped from Europe.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar extension preferences? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would also look at the new tririg offerings, they now have a 24 degree and a ski bend extension.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The TriRig bars are amazing

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drag2Zero makes the coolest extensions. Lots of rise options, but definitely not a budget item.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar extension preferences? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not all that convinced by the concept of 'coolest' for extensions. Length, angle and rise are what you want to choose on. Maybe lateral shift if it's an option.
Handy list here
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar extension preferences? [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are the Tririg bars so amazing? Like, what specific feature(s) in terms of the extensions or other parts make them stand apart that I cannot get on another setup? I admit the total setup is hella cool.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the list--that will help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great list! But note Gamma 24 goes up to 102mm rise (when inserted short end first).

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar extension preferences? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Great list! But note Gamma 24 goes up to 102mm rise (when inserted short end first).

I didn't include that as I didn't know if you'd tested that orientation (formally, to ISO or better). If you have I'll add it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is also the Zipp Vuka Evo Extensions which I am big fan of and if you are really looking into marginal gains, the Drag2zero extensions while pricey are probably the most aero optimized in the market especially since there is so many options that you can choose from. Tim Don and Lucy Charles uses it on their bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes they are indeed tested to better than ISO.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar extension preferences? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Yes they are indeed tested to better than ISO.

Good job. I'm not aware of anyone else having done that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm no help - I went from ski bend to Zipp r bend (?) and finally to profile T2+ as that matched my fit coordinates exactly, and I hated the ski bends.
Quote Reply