Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iranian wrestler throws the match...
Quote | Reply
....not the first time. Wish politics could be kept out of sports. Feel sorry for the guy because it seems that he didn't want to take the dive but was ordered to.

http://nationalpost.com/...li-in-the-next-round
Quote Reply
Re: Iranian wrestler throws the match... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrestling is fake.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Iranian wrestler throws the match... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Wrestling is fake.

Well this match was and its not even WWE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of going for the gold for Iran, you possibly give the gold to Israel? Conceding is a strange way of competing with your enemy who you, outside of sports, want to defeat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn, he is more racist than Trump. I bet Trump would wrassle a Jew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the solution to this is to throw the entire team out of the tournament.

I generally feel this way about all tournaments. It should be a condition for entering to commit to fair play and to compete in good faith throughout, regardless of who the opponent might be. If a team or competitor isn't willing to make this commitment, they should be excluded from the tournament.

So absent some internal Iranian policy change, this would apply to Iranian athletes if there's a chance that they might face an Israeli in the tournament.

The same applies to that Christian school a few years ago that forfeit a high school playoff baseball game because the other team had a couple girls on it.

I think it also applies to teams that refuse to play on Sunday or some other religious day, with the exception for situations where the team can be placed in a bracket that has no scheduled Sunday games.
Quote Reply
Re: Iranian wrestler throws the match... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if instead of an Isreali wrestler or a boy's baseball team with girls on it, you're asked to compete against someone with a handicap?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your TDS is showing again. Wait, wrong thread.

cerveloguy wrote:
....not the first time. Wish politics could be kept out of sports. Feel sorry for the guy because it seems that he didn't want to take the dive but was ordered to.

http://nationalpost.com/...li-in-the-next-round
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

I generally feel this way about all tournaments. It should be a condition for entering to commit to fair play and to compete in good faith throughout, regardless of who the opponent might be. If a team or competitor isn't willing to make this commitment, they should be excluded from the tournament.

So absent some internal Iranian policy change, this would apply to Iranian athletes if there's a chance that they might face an Israeli in the tournament.

The same applies to that Christian school a few years ago that forfeit a high school playoff baseball game because the other team had a couple girls on it.

I think it also applies to teams that refuse to play on Sunday or some other religious day, with the exception for situations where the team can be placed in a bracket that has no scheduled Sunday games.

How many countries should be tossed from the soccer World Cup because Israel is in the European zone?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Iranian wrestler throws the match... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
What if instead of an Isreali wrestler or a boy's baseball team with girls on it, you're asked to compete against someone with a handicap?

Not quite sure what you mean by handicap? Physical or something else?

Anyway, if the handicapped person is otherwise eligible to compete in or has qualified for the tournament, then I don't see a difference. Although I can see a potential exception for a charity case, such as when the opposing team allows the last minute substitute in a blowout to score a touchdown because the kid his mentally disabled and has never had a chance to get in a game. But I also think those are entirely different cases.
Quote Reply
Re: Iranian wrestler throws the match... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

How many countries should be tossed from the soccer World Cup because Israel is in the European zone?

I think you can make a distinction between qualifying rounds and the finals.

So none for 2018, as Israel didn't qualify. I'm not aware of any team in UEFA that refuses to play with Israel, so it's not an issue in qualifiers. There are teams in the AFC and perhaps the CAF that won't play against Israel, but it doesn't become an issue unless and until they qualified for a finals in which Israel also qualifies.

The only time Israel qualified for the finals was 1970. In that tournament, they were placed in a different group than Morocco for the group stages because Morocco had threatened not to participate if they would have had to play against Israel. I don't think different groups are a reasonable solution, as there's still would have been a chance of them playing each other if both had progressed to the knockout stages. To Morocco's credit, they at least threatened to pull out of the tournament rather than compete and then forfeit a game. I think they should have been taken up on their threat with a replacement team instead..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
klehner wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

I think you can make a distinction between qualifying rounds and the finals.

So none for 2018, as Israel didn't qualify. I'm not aware of any team in UEFA that refuses to play with Israel, so it's not an issue in qualifiers. There are teams in the AFC and perhaps the CAF that won't play against Israel, but it doesn't become an issue unless and until they qualified for a finals in which Israel also qualifies.

The only time Israel qualified for the finals was 1970. In that tournament, they were placed in a different group than Morocco for the group stages because Morocco had threatened not to participate if they would have had to play against Israel. I don't think different groups are a reasonable solution, as there's still would have been a chance of them playing each other if both had progressed to the knockout stages. To Morocco's credit, they at least threatened to pull out of the tournament rather than compete and then forfeit a game. I think they should have been taken up on their threat with a replacement team instead..

Israel doesn't qualify because it got stuck in the European zone (you know, with France/Spain/England/Germany/Italy) as opposed to its natural geo-zone to face all those Middle Eastern powerhouse teams. That's why it doesn't face the teams that won't play Israel in qualifying.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply