Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Torn labrum recovery? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant,

Good luck buddy. I played juniors and college hockey at UNH. Tore my labrum in 2008. Not lucky enough to live in CO. Traveled to Vail to have surgery with Dr. P. Healed up quick enough to qualify and do Kona in 2009. Then tore the other side. surgery again in November and healed up quick enough to qualify and do Kona in 2010. Dr. P. said it may have been a result of old injury during my hockey days. The great thing is you can make a full recovery. Good luck and stick to the rehab.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn labrum recovery? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Have you scheduled your surgery? How are you feeling these days?

Yeah it is scheduled. It’s August 24th. Pretty rough right now, I’ve had some okay days but it’s painkillers at least once or twice a day and if I move it wrong it really goes downhill quick. Sitting in a car is just awful. I can last about 30 mins if I’m lucky before it starts hurting.

Swimming is about the only thing that isn’t too bad. I tried to ride tonight for about 30 mins, it was fine while riding but I feel like that might have been a poor choice by the end of the night.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn labrum recovery? [greggtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I’m just ready to get this done with. The off and on training and pain for the last year has been miserable. I’m hoping they have a last minute cancellation to bump me up but that’s pretty unlikely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just add this to the OP when I’m done, to make it easier to read. Hopefully this will help some people in the future when they have questions as it’s definitely not uncommon.

Day 1- Surgery went great this morning. I’ll try to get some of the hip arthroscopics up later up later. It was tore up pretty bad but didn’t have issues beyond the tore labrum so that was a plus.

I start the CPM machine tonight and can start biking on my road bike tommorrow on the trainer. My Ortho has every 20 mins on the bike is equal to an hour on the CPM a machine and that is supposed to be 4-6 hours a day so I’ll definitely prefer the biking. I had to swap stems and turn it up to make sure I didn’t go past 90 degrees

Beyond that nothing really special today. I need to lay on my stomach for two hours to stretch the hip. Hip brace limits motion to 90 degrees, they don’t want you going past that for a couple weeks. Crutches will be for 3 weeks.

The Ortho I went to trained under the Dr. who pioneered this procedure at Steadman clinic in Vail and it’s about all he does so he’s really good at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was part of your femur or acetabulsr shaved down as a part of the procedure?

Best of luck with the recovery. I will caution you and say it is very slow. Do not be in a rush. And follow the doctors orders to the T. Let the body heal on its own.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Torn labrum recovery? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah he rounded it, also had FAI.

Already talked to him on the biking so that part he said is fine, much to my wife’s dismay haha, obviously I’m not gonna really be using my left leg. However it’ll be a lot nicer than sitting in CPM for 1/4 of the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same thing.

Doc had me biking pretty quickly as well. Biggest thing is just not exceeding that hip flexion he has you limited to.

Biggest struggle for me was sleeping the first few weeks. I sleep on my side/back and I wasn’t allowed to internally or externally rotate the hip so was forced to sleep on my back. Barely slept for 2 weeks.

Also... once the doc clears it, start getting some massage work done to break up all the scar tissue and get the muscles firing again.

Best of luck!!

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Torn labrum recovery? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have to sleep in a brace they didn’t mention the rotation piece sleeping. They basically just said don’t sleep on my left side because it’ll hurt a lot if I do. Also mine could have torn in a different spot.

We have a section on our couch that will lay almost flat. I may use that because I can lift my upper body up without straining my core. That was worth all the money in the world when I broke rips because it was impossible to sit up.

Thanks for the recommendation on the massage didn’t even think about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I had a brace that I had to wear for a while. I did get to the point where I didn’t wear the brace around the house once I got comfortable being on crunches and the flexion restriction. But anytime I left the house, I had it on just in case. I remember hobbling through airports with that thing on.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a labrum reconstruction. They thought it was just a tear and then then got in there and it was hashed and had to be given donor tissue. My rehab was good. I was very patient and did not rush anything at all, I can't remember the timeline but I want to say after about 3.5 months I was back to doing pretty much everything I wanted. The biggest thing is research your surgeon, find a PT that specializes or knows their stuff, and be patient.
Quote Reply

Prev Next