Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crack pipe for Zipp 900
Quote | Reply
I've got one of these crack pipes, but I need to put pressure on it with one hand otherwise it doesn't inflate, so only leaving one arm for pumping. And I now have little girls arms so can only inflate to around 90psi. Is there a crack pipe that can lock on better or am I doing something wrong? Or should I just smash the roids and pump with one arm.

Quote Reply
Re: Crack pipe for Zipp 900 [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I've got one of these crack pipes, but I need to put pressure on it with one hand otherwise it doesn't inflate, so only leaving one arm for pumping. And I now have little girls arms so can only inflate to around 90psi. Is there a crack pipe that can lock on better or am I doing something wrong? Or should I just smash the roids and pump with one arm.

Your not doing anything wrong...that's an issue with the 900. You can help the process somewhat by "dremeling" the opening to make it bigger. But, it's typically a two person job....or smash the roids.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

Do you have the actual crack pipe in your photo? Black with red composite seal? This is the new Silca crack pipe and it typically can be used without having to hold it in place. The older Silcas that used to ship with Zipp discs were silver in color and had black rubber gaskets. These always required an extra set of hands.
Quote Reply
Re: Crack pipe for Zipp 900 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Do you have the actual crack pipe in your photo? Black with red composite seal? This is the new Silca crack pipe and it typically can be used without having to hold it in place. The older Silcas that used to ship with Zipp discs were silver in color and had black rubber gaskets. These always required an extra set of hands.

Not sure actually. I'll check. That's just from google. It definitely seems like I have to jam it on and hold it there hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These work great

https://www.backcountry.com/...P_ID=App_BC_2015_PDP

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Crack pipe for Zipp 900 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

$100!

I'll just get some horse steroids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....are you sure this works with a Zipp disc? I have a Zipp Super 9 disc and recall being told it would not work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too think $100 is a lot of money for such an insignificant piece of gear; however, I broke a valve core off the morning of my last race because of shoddy pumpmanship with a silca crack pipe.

I wouldn't mind paying $100 to forego the fear I felt that morning not knowing whether the tire would hold pressure the entire 56 mile journey.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Crack pipe for Zipp 900 [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cgrubb wrote:
....are you sure this works with a Zipp disc? I have a Zipp Super 9 disc and recall being told it would not work.

V1 was a bit wider, but V2 fits just fine. I have a Super9 and use it all the time. Yes, $100 is quite a bit of money, but WELL worth it in this case

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to struggle with a crack pipe on my 900 too when no one was around to hold it in place (the old silver Silca referenced above). One day I decided to try threading a long valve extender onto the tube valve so that it extends outside the disc cutout. This way you can just attach the pump directly to the extender and not use a crack pipe at all. Works great and you can inflate by yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

$100!

yeah, I know it's expensive. but if I lost mine I would have no problem replacing it they work so well

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
zedzded wrote:

$100!

yeah, I know it's expensive. but if I lost mine I would have no problem replacing it they work so well

I agree, I could never get the newer black pipe to stay on, but this side-locking rig works like a champ.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Crack pipe for Zipp 900 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I too think $100 is a lot of money for such an insignificant piece of gear; however, I broke a valve core off the morning of my last race because of shoddy pumpmanship with a silca crack pipe.

I wouldn't mind paying $100 to forego the fear I felt that morning not knowing whether the tire would hold pressure the entire 56 mile journey.

ha ha good point!

Piece of mind is priceless.
Last edited by: zedzded: Nov 28, 17 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also scoffed at the $100 price tag. But I took advantage of the black Friday deals and bought one for just under $71 total (coupon and a referral website rebates along with my cash back credit card). Received it last week and it works great on my disc (HED Jet+). I got sick of using a threaded schrader version of the 90 degree adapter (bought the wrong one on Amazon). So I had to thread on a presta-schrader adapter then my 90 degree adapter. It is a PITA in that tight space especially when hunch over when the bike is on regular ground (hanging on a rack or something is a little easier on my back only).

There are cheaper alternatives like a KCNC metal pump head that goes for around $50 or so on ebay that I watched or the original Japanese version that the Silca copied (those I've found for about $70 or so on eBay too and maybe Amazon....been awhile since I checked though).

Plus I am going to try out latex tubes next season and don't want to mess with mangling the valve stems too much to avoid premature wear on the fragile latex. Tested it out and it is so much easier to use and worth the money (at least what I paid but still not sure I'd pay $100 though).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have that one too and a Zipp 900.

You can adjust the tension of the seal by dialing the bezel. Takes a little bit of finesse, but once you figure it out, you should be able to lock it on and pump with two hands. Mine typically blows off above ~110psi, but that's ok with me.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Crack pipe for Zipp 900 [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
I have that one too and a Zipp 900.

You can adjust the tension of the seal by dialing the bezel. Takes a little bit of finesse, but once you figure it out, you should be able to lock it on and pump with two hands. Mine typically blows off above ~110psi, but that's ok with me.

Sweet! This works. Loosened it a little bit and it holds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply