Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fat Bike front suspension?
Quote | Reply
I was in the market for a Farley 5 (2018). Trek is sold out, but my dealer can get a Farley 7 and is offering me a really good deal on it. The Farley 7 has everything I want.....and something I have no idea if I do or don't want.......front suspension.

I'll ride it in the snow 1-2X/yr. I'll ride it on the beach 4-5X/yr. The rest of the time, it'll be ridden like a mountain bike (non-competitively).

I want to do the fat bike CX event at Wrightsville Beach.....and there's a fat bike triathlon I want to do. Fork good or bad for beach riding? I have someone who would like to trade a Haru Pro fork for the mastodon......if that would make my riding more enjoyable. I just don't know the differences. Can you lock out a suspension fork and it act like a solid........or, is the extra weight a nuisance?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike front suspension? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stay with the Haru Pro Fork. Riding rigid - it is a fat bike, after all - will provide you the best overall handling for the terrain you mention. Of course, you don't need suspension for the beach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No suspension or lock it for sand, snow, or climbs. You only need suspension for downhill if there are drops. I have a FAT CAAD with OLAF front suspension, which I use as my all around MTB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't really need rear suspension on a fat bike, but having a front fork for really big hits is nice. Usually fat bike forks only travel 110 to 120mm. But, like anything, if you have good bike handling skills, you can get away with rigid. It's all a matter of taste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Farley 6 with an aftermarket Bluto fork. I use it as a hardtail MTB. Just use the lockout most of the time except for when you need the extra suspension.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I bought a rigid Fatboy and used it for exploratory riding and did not really feel the lack of suspension, but once you start to use it for somewhat more typical mountain bike riding then it can get a little rough. I bought a second fat for my son to ride and it has a Bluto and he would roll away from me on crazy descents so I swapped him a few times and decided that I did prefer the suspension.
IÂ’ve been riding fat for the past few years and when I recently took out my bike with 2.2 tires I was a little surprised how little I liked them. Oh, they roll faster certainly, but I felt much less sure on the downhills and the difference in traction on the uphills was pretty obvious. On the 2.2 you had to be pretty careful with your line and seek out the best footing. On the 4.5 tires you just went where you want and the back tire rolled up and over if you have the power.
Now I want to try the 27.5 x 3 inch tires to see if they split the difference nicely, but that is for a future day. If you are going to use if for a lot of regular riding I would get the fork. The weight is a vastly over-rated drawback.
Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who has owned 5 different fat bikes, some with suspension forks and some without, I'd say go with the suspension fork if you can get it. Lock it out for winter and beach days. It will make a difference on the trails. Prior to getting my first fatty with bluto I would have said what some other folks are saying. That being that the rigid fork is fine and I have no problem riding trails with it. Your body will thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, not a fan of the Bluto but that was gen 1 ~2yrs ago. Waaaayy too flexy for my taste. I have a Wren but they're more expensive and don't have a big presence yet. Also consider the manitou mastodon, I dont' have any experience with this fork but friends and friends of friends that I trust are pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike front suspension? [adktriguy46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adktriguy46 wrote:
As someone who has owned 5 different fat bikes, some with suspension forks and some without, I'd say go with the suspension fork if you can get it. Lock it out for winter and beach days. It will make a difference on the trails. Prior to getting my first fatty with bluto I would have said what some other folks are saying. That being that the rigid fork is fine and I have no problem riding trails with it. Your body will thank you.

I have just been renting them locally for the last few years, but this matches my experience exactly. The stars don't align enough times in a year to justify owning one when I can rent the most recent Farley 7 for $50 a pop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Salsa Mukluk with a Bluto fork. I feel it's much better for cross country riding than the rigid. I can always lock it out when needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size Farley 5 do you need and where do you live? I have a 2016 Farley 5 that I've only ridden 4 times that I want to sell, comes with flight case and all.
Quote Reply