Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reishi mushrooms and autoimmune disorders (specifically celiac)...
Quote | Reply
...anyone with any info about this?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Reishi mushrooms and autoimmune disorders (specifically celiac)... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No

Re: Reishi mushrooms and autoimmune disorders (specifically celiac)... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theres a whole lot of pseudoscience practitioners who think they cure stuff. That doesnt mean they dont have some therapeutic effect, but it doesnt look great. Looks like your wife will have celiac to deal with for a while, unfortunately.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
...anyone with any info about this?
been using them for years now. Chinese medicine. Make a broth with them( you canÂ’t really eat them, tough as leather)...use the broth in tea or whatever else . More is not better . Not sure if theyÂ’ll do what you want , but fun to play around with. I add some of the broth to miso soup. I like to soak a couple slices of the mushroom with whole ginseng root in a liquor and keep it forever in the fridge for extra kick in soups or stir fry.
The mushrooms come dry at oriental stores....pretty cheap.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Reishi mushrooms and autoimmune disorders (specifically celiac)... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Theres a whole lot of pseudoscience practitioners who think they cure stuff. That doesnt mean they dont have some therapeutic effect, but it doesnt look great. Looks like your wife will have celiac to deal with for a while, unfortunately.

IÂ’m actualy wondering if they will make it worse.

Mrs. Duffy wants to start using these (some things that I think are poppycock I let her just do if she thinks itÂ’ll improve her life) and IÂ’m concerned about the possible immune system effects.

It doesnÂ’t really seem like a good idea to increase oneÂ’s immune responses when you hav an autoimmune disease.

If the claims are pure bullshit (which is what I suspect) then IÂ’ll just let her do it.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know about Reishi mushrooms but I've heard pig whip worms be advocated as a benign immunosuppressive treatment for those with autoimmune diseases.

Of course most people would balk at the idea of giving themselves worms and I have no idea where you'd procure pig whip worms...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

It doesnÂ’t really seem like a good idea to increase oneÂ’s immune responses when you hav an autoimmune disease.

Yeah I thought the standard approach was to suppress the immune system, which of course always runs the risk of getting infections or even cancer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whatever you do , donÂ’t take a medication that allows the body to ingest gluten. No gluten is not such a bad thing.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Reishi mushrooms and autoimmune disorders (specifically celiac)... [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
whatever you do , donÂ’t take a medication that allows the body to ingest gluten. No gluten is not such a bad thing.

It can be actually. Avoiding gluten makes it difficult to ingest whole grains and that can lead to cardiovascular problems.

Quote Reply
Re: Reishi mushrooms and autoimmune disorders (specifically celiac)... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
mustangchef wrote:

It can be actually. Avoiding gluten makes it difficult to ingest whole grains and that can lead to cardiovascular problems.

No.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
mustangchef wrote:

No.
vega nerd, there are plenty of other wholegrains without gluten ....

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two books for your wife. Blue zones
Plenty more

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Reishi mushrooms and autoimmune disorders (specifically celiac)... [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
mustangchef wrote:

No.

Sure there are, but most arebt eaten regularly by most americans. Unless you count tubs of movie theatere popcorn ;)

Still, the evidence is showing its probably bad for most people to avoid gluten because they limit their varied diet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
Plenty more

No.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
mustangchef wrote:
Duffy wrote:
veganerd wrote:
mustangchef wrote:

No.

Sure there are, but most arebt eaten regularly by most americans. Unless you count tubs of movie theatere popcorn ;)

Still, the evidence is showing its probably bad for most people to avoid gluten because they limit their varied diet.

Since my wife was diagnosed with celiac about 9 years ago both of our diets have become much more varied and healthy.

And I attribute that directly to having to avoid gluten.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
mustangchef wrote:
Plenty more

No.
let her decide

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mustangchef wrote:
Duffy wrote:
mustangchef wrote:
Plenty more

No.
let her decide

I ainÂ’t no bitch!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply