Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your feel-good gun story of the weekend [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
So a 13 year old comes through your window on a dare to steal some beer and you remove his head with your manly man firearm and you really wouldn't feel bad about it? Really?

I don't think Greg realizes that it's a rhetorical question. You know he doesn't feel bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Your feel-good gun story of the weekend [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Is the 13 year old armed? //

Yes he has a condom in his wallet and a tube of Clearasil, so he is ready to take a shot....

Serious question. I would feel bad either way but if it boils down to the 13 year old or myself or one of my family....it's a really easy choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Your feel-good gun story of the weekend [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Serious question. I would feel bad either way but if it boils down to the 13 year old or myself or one of my family....it's a really easy choice. //

No I get it, but you sound like you would just blast first and ask questions later. (am I misconstruing your thoughts on this?)

I live sometimes in a rural area and have more than once though I heard something lurking outdoors, with my shotgun in hand pumped and loaded. But I have never had the mindset of just shooting at anything that climbed through a window or a forced open door. Once in that protective position I would make every effort to first protect myself and be in a position to ascertain what type of intruder is coming in. But I do have somewhat of a law enforcement background and 30+ years of dealing with life and death situations, so I may have a different view than some in these situations.

I've had a gun put in my face twice in my life and looking back am very glad I did not have one of my own on me at the time. Of course both diffused as I'm here to talk about it, most likely would not be had I been armed and felt an escalated confrontation was in order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Serious question. I would feel bad either way but if it boils down to the 13 year old or myself or one of my family....it's a really easy choice. //

No I get it, but you sound like you would just blast first and ask questions later. (am I misconstruing your thoughts on this?)

I live sometimes in a rural area and have more than once though I heard something lurking outdoors, with my shotgun in hand pumped and loaded. But I have never had the mindset of just shooting at anything that climbed through a window or a forced open door. Once in that protective position I would make every effort to first protect myself and be in a position to ascertain what type of intruder is coming in. But I do have somewhat of a law enforcement background and 30+ years of dealing with life and death situations, so I may have a different view than some in these situations.

I've had a gun put in my face twice in my life and looking back am very glad I did not have one of my own on me at the time. Of course both diffused as I'm here to talk about it, most likely would not be had I been armed and felt an escalated confrontation was in order.

Yep. Misconstruing my thoughts indeed. I would never shoot 1st and ask questions later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
So a 13 year old comes through your window on a dare to steal some beer and you remove his head with your manly man firearm and you really wouldn't feel bad about it? Really?

Do you know what his intentions are at the time you have to make the decision? Is there a way to know when it is a mostly harmless 13 year old versus one who is intent on committing violence?
Quote Reply
Re: Your feel-good gun story of the weekend [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Thom wrote:

Do you know what his intentions are at the time you have to make the decision? Is there a way to know when it is a mostly harmless 13 year old versus one who is intent on committing violence?

I don't care what his intentions are, only a monster would "feel good" about being put in a position to have to kill him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

You have substantially changed the scenario I was commenting about. I provided three links to scenarios that would provoke any armed homeowner. Did you read any of the stories at any of the links? Or, are you just contriving a completely different scenario so that you can cast me as some sort of 'manly man' blah, blah, blah.

If someone forces his way into my house through a door or a window, I will not know if he is 13YO, or if he is 'on a dare to steal some beer', or if he has a condom and some Clearasil in his pockets, or if he has a pistol and wants to shoot everyone in the house. I only know he has forced his way into my house fully knowing he is breaking the law and could encounter an armed homeowner.

You are free to hope this never happens to you and I am free to be prepared if it ever happens to me. Also, this isn't a rhetorical question as far as I am concerned. In most cases, my wife and two kids would be at home if this happened and I would want to be certain it was the home invader that had a bad day, not me.

I am always amazed at gunphobic people that get wrapped up in some sort of emotionally laden assessment of a situation like this using terms like 'feeling bad about it,' 'remove his head,' etc, and finish up with a derogatory reference of the person directed at the person that doesn't agree...like 'manly man.' What are you going to do when this person breaks into your house waving a gun around at you, give him a big bear hug and tell him he can take anything he wants and you promise not to report him?

Prepared for your response claiming you have your own firearms, you have been around them all your life, etc.....

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Your feel-good gun story of the weekend [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:

Prepared for your response claiming you have your own firearms, you have been around them all your life, etc.....

Greg

Glad to oblige, I own 2 guns. A .410 bolt action shot gun and a 22 semi-auto rifle and I was about 12 years old when I started shooting guns. Feel free to call me gun phobic if it makes you feel better.

Certainly there are instances where people are are put in a situation where deadly force is rightfully used to protect lives. If I were ever put in that situation, I would do what I needed to do. There certainly wouldn't be anything, "feel good" about it. I suspect having to resort to taking another life would lead to lots of sleepless nights.

I have a problem with the "feel good" gun stories because they are part of the American gun culture glorification of guns that leads someone with some mental issues to stockpile automatic weapons in a Las Vegas hotel room. I'm done, if it makes you, "feel good", fire away.
Quote Reply
Re: Your feel-good gun story of the weekend [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone breaks into your house and is armed,

Has that ever happened to you?

I'm not sure where you live but not only has that never happened to me, I don't know anyone who knows anyone who that has happened to.

You guys must have a really serious crime problem if you feel the need to arm yourself over things like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

http://kdvr.com/2017/11/26/13-year-old-suspect-in-manual-high-school-parking-lot-shooting-arrested/

Here you go, 13 year old presumed gang banger shoots 3 other people in high school parking lot. Rumor has it he was at a party with 15 other people, all who possibly had guns.

Nothing like a 9MM condom.

Last edited by: summitt: Nov 27, 17 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Your feel-good gun story of the weekend [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I'm not sure where you live but not only has that never happened to me, I don't know anyone who knows anyone who that has happened to.

You guys must have a really serious crime problem if you feel the need to arm yourself over things like that.

This is really a worn out comment. Taking precautions to protect yourself and your loved from being the victim of a violent criminal is not different than smoke detectors or a seat belts, well except the government forces those protections on you in the unlikely event you get in an accident or have a fire in your house.

I'm trying to think of who I know who's had a fire in their house?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Your feel-good gun story of the weekend [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

So, you think people should wait until this happens to them before they should take any action to protect themselves? I don't live in a bad area, but it is somewhat rural with lots of homes on acreage and no neighbors close by. Many are surrounded by woods. In the past 5-6 years, two homes like that and within a mile and a half of mine have been invaded by armed intruders during the day. One intruder was shot, but not killed. My home is in a neighborhood, but with a wooded area very close by. Our home has a private entrance from our open back porch that takes you right into our bedroom. It would be the most likely entry point for an intruder that didn't know which door was 'best'.

I have never been hit by another car and seriously injured either. But I have been wearing a seatbelt for 44 years. Maybe I can quit now?

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply

Prev Next