Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Title Games/CFP Prediction Thread [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
I think the committee nailed it. Every argument I read here contains only a subset of the relevant facts. The more sophisticated your reasoning and the more you take into consideration, the better the committee's decision looks.

For instance why Alabama over Auburn? Because Auburn just took it's 3rd loss of the season against Georgia. Auburn just had its chance to stay in and wasn't able to convert. It's tough, but it makes sense.

Nope.

Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 all play 9 conference games.

SEC and ACC both bitch out and play 8 conference games.

Which conferences have been left out of the Playoffs since their inception? Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12. Why are these conferences being penalized for playing an extra conference game? Or more importantly, why the fuck is the SEC being rewarded for playing 1 less conference game?

Why is Alabama being rewarded for not playing in a conference championship game? Or, if 'Bama is so good they HAD to be in, then why is Georgia being rewarded for not having to play them? There is absolutely, positively, no justification for two SEC teams being in. None. Neither a 2-loss Georgia nor a 2-loss Alabama would have gotten in. Had Georgia played Alabama, one would have been left out. But, they did not play and the SEC got rewarded for it? Really?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Title Games/CFP Prediction Thread [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know what else wears a team down? Playing halfway decent opponents week after week. I will be the first to eat crow if Alabama does it. I think they are overrated this year and others deserve the chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Title Games/CFP Prediction Thread [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
You know what else wears a team down? Playing halfway decent opponents week after week. I will be the first to eat crow if Alabama does it. I think they are overrated this year and others deserve the chance.

Agreed. See my post above. SEC only plays 8 conference games. B10, P12, and B12 all play 9 conference games. How can anyone claim running through the SEC is a huge challenge when they play 1 less conference game than the other conferences?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
SH wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
SH wrote:
For instance why Alabama over Auburn?

Auburn beat Alabama NINE days ago!!! Hahahahaha

That's a great isolated fact. Alabama is 11-1 and has been Top 1 or 2 every week except last week. And I'm the biggest Auburn homer imaginable. As much as I hate Bama I think you're kidding yourself if you think they're going to show up with a healthy team and be outclassed on the field.

What if? What if Hilary ran a semi-competent campaign? Fact is Alabama lost to auburn NINE days ago. Maybe Alabama was 1 and 2 because they were completely overrated playing a horrid schedule? I bet OSU and others are wishing they had Fresno State, Colorado State, and Mercer as their OOC opponents. Can't wait till next year when Alabama takes on the powerhouses of Louisville (without Jackson), Arkansas State, UL Lafayette, and The Citadel. Hahahahaha.

Current line Tide -2.5 over Clemson.

and Hilary was a 3/1 favorite. That just means there are a lot of Alabama nut huggers out there. Can't wait to see Clemson wipe their asses with Tide rolls and me paying off my craps losses for the last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
SH wrote:
For instance why Alabama over Auburn?

Auburn beat Alabama NINE days ago!!! Hahahahaha

That's a great isolated fact. Alabama is 11-1 and has been Top 1 or 2 every week except last week. And I'm the biggest Auburn homer imaginable. As much as I hate Bama I think you're kidding yourself if you think they're going to show up with a healthy team and be outclassed on the field.

You have consumed the SEC kool aid.
Quote Reply
Re: Title Games/CFP Prediction Thread [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Agreed. See my post above. SEC only plays 8 conference games. B10, P12, and B12 all play 9 conference games. How can anyone claim running through the SEC is a huge challenge when they play 1 less conference game than the other conferences?

What? You'd rather play Mercer than Michigan? Ok, that might be a bad example, how about Mercer instead of Northwestern.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Title Games/CFP Prediction Thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

What? You'd rather play Mercer than Michigan? Ok, that might be a bad example, how about Mercer instead of Northwestern.

Pink?
Quote Reply
Re: Title Games/CFP Prediction Thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Apparently results on the field don't count. Just what we think we see.

I think it's subjective by design. Even with two losses I think OSU beating two top 4 teams presents a stronger case than AL who's best win was over #16 LSU. It would appear that the committee, at least this year, thinks OSU's second loss out weights the wins over top 4 opponents. Somewhere in there your opponents matter or UCF would be in the mix.
Quote Reply
Re: Title Games/CFP Prediction Thread [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I wish could have happened is another team besides OSU or Bama get the #4 spot and then have Bama and OSU play each other in one of the bowl games. That way, you get a head to head battle to see who would have been more deserving
Quote Reply
Re: Title Games/CFP Prediction Thread [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
What I wish could have happened is another team besides OSU or Bama get the #4 spot and then have Bama and OSU play each other in one of the bowl games. That way, you get a head to head battle to see who would have been more deserving

This would be a great solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Which conferences have been left out of the Playoffs since their inception? Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12. Why are these conferences being penalized for playing an extra conference game? Or more importantly, why the fuck is the SEC being rewarded for playing 1 less conference game?

Why is Alabama being rewarded for not playing in a conference championship game? Or, if 'Bama is so good they HAD to be in, then why is Georgia being rewarded for not having to play them? There is absolutely, positively, no justification for two SEC teams being in. None. Neither a 2-loss Georgia nor a 2-loss Alabama would have gotten in. Had Georgia played Alabama, one would have been left out. But, they did not play and the SEC got rewarded for it? Really?

Weak conferences play more conference games to make their schedules appear tougher to people who are unknowable about college football. Why should they be rewarded for that? ACC and SEC have won 9 of last ten national championships.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iowa 55
OSU 24

It's done. Your facts are nice and important. Normally they might carry the day. But this year there are important other facts. OSU is a two loss team with an ugly, ugly loss late in the season. Bama has but one loss, on the road, to a damn good football team.
Last edited by: SH: Dec 5, 17 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Iowa 55
OSU 24

It's done. Your facts are nice and important. Normally they might carry the day. But this year there are important other facts. OSU is a two loss team with an ugly, ugly loss late in the season. Bama has but one loss, on the road, to a damn good football team.

It's pretty easy to take part of the picture and make an argument for one team. Wisconsin has but one loss to a better team than Alabama, can't they make the same argument. Hell, UCF doesn't have any losses.

I think Alabama is probably the better team but I'm sure I'm subconsciously including previous seasons and recruiting rankings in developing that opinion. Those things shouldn't count. Even the eye test is suspect. If Alabama had a bunch of guys that knew nothing about football and ran around bumping into each other, they would still look bigger, faster and stronger than other teams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Iowa 55
OSU 24

Clemson lost to Syracuse. They were 4 TD favorites and they lost.

Oklahoma lost to Iowa State. They were 2 TD favorites and they lost.

The SEC was rewarded for playing 1 less conference game and for not requiring its two best teams to play each other and one knock out the other. It is ridiculous.

Quote Reply
Re: Title Games/CFP Prediction Thread [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

Weak conferences play more conference games to make their schedules appear tougher to people who are unknowable about college football. Why should they be rewarded for that? ACC and SEC have won 9 of last ten national championships.

Yeah, ACC is a really tough conference ...

SEC has 3 tough teams. That's it. It is no longer the toughest conference, not by a long shot. B10 had 5 teams ranked in the top 10 at one point.

Quote Reply
Re: Title Games/CFP Prediction Thread [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

Is that supposed to be in PINK? When you play weak ass FCS teams like Mercer you do not get to talk about strength of schedule. Play James Madison or North Dakota State and MAYBE talk about schedule strength, play another FCS team then STFU. Now that being said, bama is a better choice than the top two, two loss teams, USC then osu.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply

Prev Next