Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kombucha
Quote | Reply
Love the drink, not the price. Anyone brew their own ? If so, any experience / recommendations on a decent starter kit ?
Quote Reply
Re: Kombucha [Double-Double] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we were given this kit as a gift-
https://www.thekombuchashop.com/...mbucha-brewing-kit-1

and have been very happy with it. We add our own flavoring to it . . . most liked is carrot juice/ginger/turmeric

You can DIY without a kit if, even just from buying a living bottle of kombucha alone . . . but most I've spoken with that tried it without a kit was making mistakes and their brew sucked. Follow directions in kit and you get great hooch.

Drinking some right now with just a dash of pear juice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made it for awhile. When I started, I just bought a starter scoby. I believe the one linked below.

You don't really need to spend extra $on a "kit".

Go to the store and buy some black tea and buy some 1-2 gallon glass jugs to brew and store in. You may have some laying around the house.

If you want your kombucha fizzy, ive found that the liter plastic soda bottles work fine, the kind that come with soda water or soft drinks, because they have the stronger caps made to hold contents at pressure. Just let them continue to ferment until the feel nice and hard to the touch (giggidy), then store in the fridge and will stop the fermentation.

https://www.amazon.com/...=1511620800&sr=1

Last edited by: Endo: Nov 25, 17 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Double-Double wrote:
Love the drink, not the price. Anyone brew their own ? If so, any experience / recommendations on a decent starter kit ?

I've been buying the big bottles at Sprouts for minimum $/ounce, but, yeah, it is expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd second Endo on not needing to buy a kit and just ordering a mother culture (ie scoby). Compared to brewing beer it's a pretty forgivable process from a bacteria control perspective. Read a few blogs to get the process/best practices down and you'll be all set.

You can try going the route of growing a scoby using store bought bottles but it will take some time. When kombucha first hit the market there was much more culture in the bottle, but also higher alcohol ( a whopping 1% if memory serves ). Some people did not like that and now the producers of these drinks have to dial up the filtration of the stuff at packaging to prevent the bottle fermentation going too far keeping the alcohol % in whatever the allowable range is now.
Quote Reply