Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another example of the toxic political correctness at our universities. [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big Jordan Peterson fan. I'm looking forward to reading his book.
Quote Reply
Re: Another example of the toxic political correctness at our universities. [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Jordan was the guest on a recent Joe Rogan podcast. Great interview. I hadn't heard of him before his appearance on Sam Harris' podcast, which, at least part one of two, was maddening in how it bogged down on the definition of truth. But he's a brilliant mind who, like Harris, is insidiously and reliably misrepresented by the left in his views, which are anything but controversial in the conventional sense.

Anyway, I came across another reference to Peterson in a recent David Brooks column focusing on his new book, which is now in my Amazon shopping cart. It referenced a recent TV interview in the U.K. which at once reminded me of your typical heated Lavender Room discussion, and our public political discourse in general. Worth the 30 minutes, when you have the time.

"So what you're saying is...."

Wow. You have to give him credit for not completely losing it during that interview. Talk about twisting words.

That video is a perfect example of almost any conversation about Peterson. The outrage is completely based on misrepresentation of what he is saying.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Another example of the toxic political correctness at our universities. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was bound and determined that she had all the right answers and he had all the wrong ones, facts be damned.
Quote Reply
Re: Another example of the toxic political correctness at our universities. [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
She was bound and determined that she had all the right answers and he had all the wrong ones, facts be damned.

I lasted about 3 minutes watching that. I can’t stand when interviewers constantly interrupt their guests, and that their entire demeanor is hostile.

Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Wow. You have to give him credit for not completely losing it during that interview. Talk about twisting words.

That video is a perfect example of almost any conversation about Peterson. The outrage is completely based on misrepresentation of what he is saying.

I'd never heard of Peterson before, but that lady was pretty out of control. She was so full of venom. Hard to tell if she was deliberately misunderstanding his carefully made points in order to set up her attacks, or if she just wasn't bright enough to precisely understand his responses.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Another example of the toxic political correctness at our universities. [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Does it bother you that your audience is primarily male? Isn't that a bit divisive?" I wonder if she'd ask the same of Oprah.

"But you're saying that battling for a(n elite employment) position is good?" Maybe that came out wrong, but...yes, generally speaking, people should have to work hard to achieve success in any facet of life.

"Here's a radical idea: why don't bosses adopt some female traits so that women don't have to fight for pay raises?"...after dismissing the notion of "female traits" as sexist.

"Why should your rights to freedom of speech trump a trans person's right not to be offended?" Probably because one is real and one is imaginary.

"You've also called trans activists (who successfully advocated for a law requiring PC pronoun usage) 'authoritarians' haven't you?" Is there a better term for people who want their pet preferences imposed by force of law?

I don't agree entirely with everything he lays out, but it's abundantly clear that he's articulating data points that she is incapable of or unwilling to assimilate into her navigation of those topics...and that she's not a very thoughtful person, if she still struggles with some of those concepts quoted above.

It's very typical of debates on these subjects in general, and I don't mean to imply that the right is always the ice cold logical yin to the red hot emotional yang of the left. Very often the inverse is true, which is why we absolutely need more exposure to (and less suppression of) intellectual dialogue between the opposing camps.

When was the last time you've seen someone of Peterson's intellectual caliber square off against an equal from the left? Media is chock full of ideologues waging war and treating their opponent's arguments with the same sloppy and dishonest disregard. It's not only unproductive, it's counterproductive.

I forget who said it, but someone in that public intellectual realm (I believe I heard it on Sam Harris' podcast) said recently that he only wants to deal with an opponent's most compelling argument, and to be sure that he understands it fully, before attempting to rebut or deconstruct it. Imagine if that were the rule, rather than the almost nonexistent exception.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Feb 4, 18 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: Another example of the toxic political correctness at our universities. [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I'd never heard of Peterson before, but that lady was pretty out of control. She was so full of venom. Hard to tell if she was deliberately misunderstanding his carefully made points in order to set up her attacks, or if she just wasn't bright enough to precisely understand his responses.

If you're in to podcasts, listen to Joe Rogan's podcast with Peterson and Bret Weintstein. Or watch it on youtube. It is very interesting, and deeply disturbing.

Peterson does have a somewhat angry, prickly, combative personality. I can see how he is not very likeable, but, it is hard to disagree with his very well made arguments, most of which are based on empirical evidence and not simply his opinion. It seems people hear what he says and simply project and set up strawmen that are leaps and bounds further then the point he was trying to make.

How that interviewer has any credibility left after that 30 minutes is beyond me.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Another example of the toxic political correctness at our universities. [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

I lasted about 3 minutes watching that. I can’t stand when interviewers constantly interrupt their guests, and that their entire demeanor is hostile.

I can't stand interviewers like that either, but I liked the way Peterson handled it, so I watched it all the way through.

If you only watched 3 minutes you missed the best part, what they're calling the Gotcha' moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Another example of the toxic political correctness at our universities. [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Kay?
Quote Reply

Prev Next