Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming after ankle sprain- your experiences?
Quote | Reply
Just rolled on a rock on a trail run and gave myself a bad ankle sprain. Swelling and bruising but Doc say no broken or torn away bone. He advised the classic RICE short term and I don't plan to walk/run or cycle until the pain has completely gone to avoid aggravating it. Does anyone have any knowledge of how soon I can swim without harming recovery? The sprain was lateral so I assume swimming with minimal kick should not affect it too much, but you know what assuming does. Any experience or knowledge to share? Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming after ankle sprain- your experiences? [ironwoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a very bad sprain a couple years ago. I swam with a pull buoy for about a month before returning to normal swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fortunately for you but unfortunately for me, I am going through the same thing.

I had the worst ankle sprain of my life a few weeks ago. Walking boot for three weeks. Doc said I could immediately swim if I wanted whenever I wanted. That surprised me. Part of my therapy was an ice bucket each night with foot flection up and down like a swimming kick for 20 minutes.

I decided not to swim given the pain (and swimming sucks anyway so I really didn't need an excuse). But, if I did, I was planning on using a pull buoy for the majority of the session to take some pressure off the foot.

First and foremost, take enough time off for it to heal. My take is you know when it's right to get back in. Then, when you get back in, be smart.

Even now that I am in PT the doc says I should expect minimal pain while cycling and moderate pain while running for the next 3 weeks or so. The most important thing, though, is that if the pain/discomfort gets worse, STOP. Stiffness and soreness in to be expected. Progressively worsening pain is not.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a really bad ankle sprain when I was swimming back in Uni. Our athletic therapists and doctor said "Ideally, you stop doing anything and let it heal but we know that isn't going to happen". The alternative was I wrapped the foot/ankle in kin tape in a locked position so I could swim with minimal pain. I did pull in place of kick sets for a little while and I had to be pretty ginger with my flip turns for 2-4 weeks before I could start building up the speed intensity. I would ice the ankle after practices as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had more ankle sprains than I can count (stupid hypermobile joints) and I usually waited for a month to go back (as per physio's instructions), I never really felt pain! In the meantime if you want to keep swimming, you can try with a pull and see if it feels okay (it might still be slightly painful because your ankle moves a little bit whether you kick or not but it's worth trying). Btw it might be worth a few sessions with a physio therapist just to make sure you strengthen the ankle!
Last edited by: Frenchietries: Nov 22, 17 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a stress fracture in my foot earlier this summer. I couldn't stop swimming - but the doctor was very specific on "no flip turns / wall push-offs", so I picked up breastroke and open-water turns instead. I did those for the first month. Then on the second month I learned to flip-turn w/ a single foot pushing off the wall. That took a little while to un-do but this helped me avoid loosing everything fitness wise while I recovered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry about your nasty sprain. You'll want to confirm this but...

I've broken both ankles and rolled them a million times. And, have found (once the acute stage is over) that doing some kicking with fins is good "therapy." I do 200yds every swim now as preventive for strength and flexibility. I haven't rolled my ankles in like for-ever. But, to be fair, I don't get on trails like I used to - so the opportunity to roll them is decreased.

wishing a speedy recovery 2 U

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply