Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fuji Norcom 2.3 (2014) bearings upgrade and what else..
Quote | Reply
Hello Experts,

Im not total happy about my tt fuji bike. After bike fitting I dont fill like its fully comfy to ride and I'm not sure why is that..
I'd like to update my bike by some non-expensive upgrades to race a lil easier and faster. Except: wheels with hubs and tires I'm thinkin about to change the bearings in the BB. I have heared that it helps in cervelo bb's to get more smooth and stiff rotation and get more "confident".

1. Can anyone tell what which exactly bearings goes to BB86 pressfit as default (OD=30 mm Non-drive and OD=28 mm drive side)? Which bearings are the best for rolling resistance (RR) and durability in this case?
2. Is there somewhere rolling resistance test comparison for hybrid bearings vs sealed machine bearings? I've heared that hybrid brg's characteristics are sloping a lot after some mileage?

3. I've swap seat to ISM, armrests to PDesign and pedals to Favero. I thinking about to change chainrings to 54 or even 55 or oval. Can anyone reccomend any other changes in fuji bike?

Frame carbon C5 HM
Fork FC-330 carbon aero monocoque
Crank Oval 520 52-36
BB Pressfit BB86
Chainrings Praxis rings, 52/36
cassette SRAM PG-1050 (11-26) 10-rz.
Chain KMC X10
Front d. SRAM Rival
Rear d. SRAM Rival
Shifters SRAM SL-500 aero TT
Brakes Oval 701 / TRP aero TTV
Wheels Oval 527
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick 700x23
Oval 750 + 750 S-bend
Oval 760 aero
FSA No.36 1i1/8"
Oval aero carbon

Thank you very much for constructive feedback.

Regards,

Alec
Last edited by: cbdu: Nov 22, 17 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Norcom 2.3 (2014) bearings upgrade and what else.. [cbdu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2015 norcom and can't say I am too happy either after 2 fittings. D6 was a way better bike IMHO.
get a different frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Norcom 2.3 (2014) bearings upgrade and what else.. [cbdu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
N=1 here, and full disclosure, I work as a mechanic/fitter at a Fuji dealer.

I've had my 2017 Norcom 1.1 since May, and I love it. I bought it as a frameset after getting my fit coordinates figured out on an Exit bike. I went with a full Shimano drivetrain - Ultegra Di2 with an Ultegra crankset and Stages left crankarm. I used a Shimano BB86 pressfit BB in my frame and have had no issues. I also built my own wheels with DT Swiss hubs, and am using the Prfile Design T3+ Carbon aerobars on a PD Prosvet basebar.

Having said all that, in your situation I would upgrade both the BB and the crankset. I am not terribly impressed with the Oval 520 cranks. Any crankset that employs the opposing pinchbolt design for attaching the non-drive arm would get my vote. Honestly, I'd look into saving up to make the switch to a Shimano groupset eventually. I'd probably also switch out the wheels - the Ovals are OK, but they are heavy.

I don't know as much about the 2014 frame, but the bike was designed to have a lot of front-end adjustability - relative to other superbikes - for fitting purposes. Perhaps your fit is a factor?

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Norcom 2.3 (2014) bearings upgrade and what else.. [Alex E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sir, Thank you for your answer. I dont want to change to shimano hardware cause it will be expensive switch. Most 2017 PRO's has it.

Which budget crank and bottom bracket (bb86 pressfit) or just bearings you sugest to apply? I have heard SRAM make poor cranks and Rotor and FSA make the best..
Maybe I will look for 2nd hand crank.

Thank you.

Regards, Alec
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really want to switch out the crank and aren't getting a power meter, then Shimano 105 or Ultegra, whichever one fits your budget. No need to look further than that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Fuji Norcom 2.3 (2014) bearings upgrade and what else.. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Experts,

I deeply hope that my Fuji problem -lack of power on high speeds coming from the crank..I would like to swap my crappy crankset (from oval 520) to one of these:
- sram red 22 -172/53
- rotor flow mas -170/crappy 52
- ultegra fc-6800 -170/53. Should work with fd sram rival?

And bottom bracket bearings. Which brg's you reccomend currently as the best for tri racing? (except ceramic brg's). I've heard NTN brand has the best.

Which of these cranks (with bb brg's) you suggest to apply?
Thank you for constructive feedback.

Regads,
Alec
Last edited by: cbdu: Dec 28, 17 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbdu wrote:
Experts,

I deeply hope that my Fuji problem -lack of power on high speeds coming from the crank..I would like to swap my crappy crankset (from oval 520) to one of these:
- sram red 22 -172/53
- rotor flow mas -170/crappy 52
- ultegra fc-6800 -170/53. Should work with fd sram rival?

And bottom bracket bearings. Which brg's you reccomend currently as the best for tri racing? (except ceramic brg's). I've heard NTN brand has the best.

Which of these cranks (with bb brg's) you suggest to apply?
Thank you for constructive feedback.

Regads,
Alec
In all honesty, I don't think you'll get the expected return that you're hoping from a new crank. Take the chain off and spin the crank, if there is no resistance from bearing binding you're good to go. If the crank is too long/short that it is impacting your ability to ride in a proper position, get a new crank. If you want a power meter to train and get faster, get a new crank. If you are having significant binding from the BB bearings, get new bearings.
Quote Reply