Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help finding Osaka running groups and drop in fitness centres/gym
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I’m going to Osaka for 10 days and am trying to find a group to run with and a gym to drop in for some cycling. It is impossible to find any info!! I’ve tried scouring the internet and there’s nothing.
Anyone have any experience or info they can share with me?
I know about the Castle and Nagai Park but would like to see what else there is.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Help finding Osaka running groups and drop in fitness centres/gym [soya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, hope you enjoy Osaka, my second favourite city in Japan. Usually gyms allow for one day pass, though the fares should be quite high. Osaka is really big, so it really depends on where you will be staying. Banpaku koen is really nice to run. One thing you should note is that if you have tattoos, the gyms may not allow you to get in. Also gyms in Japan are mostly for older people, and they all have a big ofuro where you can relax after your workout. Try to enjoy that experience!
Quote Reply
Re: Help finding Osaka running groups and drop in fitness centres/gym [ABSURDO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions! I’m staying in Namba area. Pretty much right in the mix of things (Dotonburi, Shinsaibashi).
No tattoos here so no worries! Any suggestions on which gyms? I’ve found a few but can’t navigate the website as it’s all in Japanese. I’ve read Golds Gym but it’s like $30USD per entry of 5hrs. A bit rich for me.
I wouldn’t even mind paying for a one week pass if it were an option.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Help finding Osaka running groups and drop in fitness centres/gym [soya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe try contacting Namban Rengo, the Tokyo-based running group with plenty of resident ex-pats. There should be some Osaka knowledge among them.

It may be worth asking them about local races too. They are often a cultural insight as well as an athletic event. Enter early, many fill quickly. As a gaijin, you will be treated especially well, particularly if it is a small or obscure race.

Consider finding out if there is a Osaka chapter of the Hash House Harriers. I had some enjoyable runs with Nagoya Hash when I was working there a couple of decades ago.

Finding running routes in Japanese cities is generally similar to other unfamiliar cities around the globe. look for green spaces on the map, follow riverside paths, head to the nearby hills/mountains. You're bound to find the local runners. Just be aware that some major parks or gardens may be closed on Mondays.

And yes, as mentioned, Osaka is a large and sprawling city. Run early to avoid traffic (both car and pedestrian).

Gambate kudasai.
Quote Reply