Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Where Does Triathlon Fall Among Sports [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alistair Brownlee is probably Triathlons biggest ever star with 176k Twitter following.

Cristiano Ronaldo is arguably currently Football's/Soccer biggest star with 64.3 million!

Ronaldo will probably earn in a month what Ali will earn in his career.

Im the only person I know that could tell you the difference between an Ironman and an Olympic distance Triathlon.

Triathlon has an awful long way to go...
Quote Reply
Re: Where Does Triathlon Fall Among Sports [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
The only thing I know about cricket is that it is just as boring as baseball.

No, it's like a baseball game stretching over 3 days but that's including tea breaks so it's not as long as it sounds.

Not quite. 5 days with lunch and tea breaks. Though shorter formats are also commonly played. As little as 3 hours.

Baseball is an extremely simple game compared to cricket.
Quote Reply
Re: Where Does Triathlon Fall Among Sports [dasOlind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dasOlind wrote:
One unique aspect of Tri that very few other sports seem to replicate is the competition among adult amateurs, in most sports the amateurs are kids/juniors & many just have their parents living vicariously through them and/or at the pro/adult level if it’s a mainstream sport is people just following the pros because they have no life. Tri seems uniquely outside this mold, maybe only running, surfing, and some others (I don’t know what others) replicate it.

No, triathlon definitely isn't unique in that regard. That is true for so many, possibly most sports in many countries.

Sure, formal sport participation is definitely lower in adults. Adults have more responsibilities and are often too disinterested or lazy to engage in sport. Conversely, participation in some level of sport or exercise is widely considered a normal part of a child's development.

I think where triathlon is different is that it originated as an exclusively adult sport. The distances were unsuitable for children and you had to be over 16 or 18 to sign up for any race. It then had to adapt the sport and develop a junior program.

Correct me if I'm wrong with the following though. I'm under the impression that the US has a culture of non-professional adult sport that is quite different to many countries.

In many other western countries there are flourishing competitions for adult amateurs in just about any sport that has a reasonable junior following. As an adult, I can't think of any sport that I couldn't just join a club and play in a local graded competition. And I'm over 50.

The concept of having no option but to retire from your chosen sport after college (unless you become pro) seems alien to me. Equally the idea of a sport having no structure or pathway for adults outside of a college system seems detrimental to the sport.

Can adults of average ability just sign up with a club to play football (of any code), ice hockey, baseball, etc in any reasonably sized US city?
Quote Reply
Re: Where Does Triathlon Fall Among Sports [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems in the continental europe countries and scandinavia sports like triathlon are club based. Almost everyone is affiliated with a club. You look at the race list and everyone has their club name beside theirs. If you do a half ironman you are a straggler if you come in over 6 hrs. I think one strength of the club system is you can have the same coach for a long time. Someone doing athletics could have the same coach from mid teens to their twenties or thirties.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Nov 23, 17 18:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next