Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there a triathlon equivalent? The Last Great Race: Running the First Six 100-Milers in the US in One Summer
Quote | Reply
Congrats to my buddy Chris Jones. What he didn't mention in this article is that he also attempted (and finished) his first triathlon - Santa Rosa 70.3 (on a borrowed road bike). Is there an equivalent challenge in triathlon?

https://ultrarunning.com/...he-us-in-one-summer/
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a triathlon equivalent? The Last Great Race: Running the First Six 100-Milers in the US in One Summer [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after the first of the six 100 milers,
" Upon arriving home, we both went to the hospital. I had an ulcer that had made me anemic and Ace had severely torn his calf muscle."

you have to have a.. complicated.. relationship with pain, to do this sort of thing..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a triathlon equivalent? The Last Great Race: Running the First Six 100-Milers in the US in One Summer [camtdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no answer to your question but I am totally wowed by those guys running six, 100 milers in 14 weeks. That is the kind of epic accomplishment that has recently gotten more attractive to me than simply finishing another Ironman.

Thanks for linking to this.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dating back to the '80s, the 100 Mile Grand Slam used to be well regarded and recognised. Western States, Angeles Crest, Leadville and Wasatch, all in about 3 months. Not sure how that has changed with the number of races available now.

There was an IM world circuit culminating with Kona, back in the early to mid '90s. Scott Tinley took out the title a few times.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a triathlon equivalent? The Last Great Race: Running the First Six 100-Milers in the US in One Summer [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Angela's Crest is not and had not been part of the slam.

The original races were:

Western
Wasatch
Old Dominion
Leadville

Over the years Old Dominion has changed a few times and come on and off the list. It was replaced by Vermont. Today you can choose any of the three plus Wasatch and still slam.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a triathlon equivalent? The Last Great Race: Running the First Six 100-Milers in the US in One Summer [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the correction. I sure I would've known it was Old Dominion many years ago, but it's been a while since I've run in the US.

Can I plead ignorance by being a foreigner?
Quote Reply