Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hed jet 6/9 flamme rouge. thoughts?
Quote | Reply
hi everyone -

am looking for a versatile race wheelset (clincher) with aluminum brake tracks and have got a line on the above. the hed website ain't great, but from what i can tell the flamme rouge is just their lightweight version, correct? ie., with lighter hubs?

i suppose 6/9 might be a little bit deep, especially on the front, but i'm 6'0 and about 165-170 at race weight, so i'm not too worried about control. i live in a hilly area, so weight is sort of important but i've got old, old training wheels at the moment so anything will be an upgrade.

it's a 10-speed compatible set, and i still run 9-speed, so i guess i'll want a spacer.

finally, it's a 23mm rim. anyone know if that'll be a good fit in an old aluminum cervelo soloist?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: hed jet 6/9 flamme rouge. thoughts? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the wheelset I've run for a few years now. I race about 143# these days and have gone from short course to long course Tri now worked up to Cat 2 roadie. So the wheels have done it all.

I have had zero trouble with the wheels. Never trued, bearings are still perfect (all checked at HED last spring). I believe mine are the 2012 version. First year of unidirectional carbon. There's no question they are fast. The FR hub is the higher end hub correct.

Mine are actually the stallion version because that's what I could afford at the time. They might not be super light but they are light enough to hold some KOM's (and several 2nd's) on some of the most famous climbs in the Rockies including Pikes Peak and Going to the Sun Road.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Awesome wheels!

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a solid set that worked well do me. The sidewalls feel a little flimsy, but tvthey are just a fairing.

You don’t need a spacer for a 9s cassette. They are actually wider than a 10s.

23 wise wheels worked well in a p2, and I would imagine that the aluminum soloist would have same or more clearance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before picking up a Jet 9 front I raced on a 6/9 for two seasons and a 6/6 before that. I have been very happy with them, never had to true even after some considerable hidden potholes and an unexpected mile of road repair in the middle of East Bumble. Weight has not been an issue and I tend to ride hilly courses. I have 23s on a 2012 Argon frame. No rubbing on my TT. On my 2011 road bike I have had some rubbing with the same wheels under extreme load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a set of FR Jet 6's for a few years now, flawless, hubs still spin like new.

THAT said, sounds like you are buying used? So no one can tell how harshly they've been treated by the original owner...
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Nov 21, 17 6:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheels are abuse proof, i ride flame rouge blacks, jet 6+ and Ardennes. I know a guy who rides the Ardennes FR and is 200 lbs and they run true as the day they were born.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: hed jet 6/9 flamme rouge. thoughts? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, looking at them second-hand! the price is especially good, so i'd be willing to live with them not lasting years and years as a tradeoff. probably in a few years' time i'll be upgrading the whole rig anyway - standards have moved on a lot in terms of headset/stem/bar/BB dimensions, transmissions, etc.

i'll be giving them a close eyeball, but i guess the fact that they can be readily trued argues in their favour too. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply