Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: And Cam Wurf is ready to throw down [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:
Personalities like his are good for the sport. Will be interesting if Cam does make the front pack next year on the swim. Wonder if he and Starky work together.

If Sebi/LS spot those guys 5 min out of the water, doubt they catch them by T2.

That would be interesting and I think you are right. I think Cam will do just that. It is clear from that interview and others I've seen that he was in no way prepared for getting kicked around during the swim start. He has shown to have some good swim chops. If he is prepared to go out and hammer the start of the swim to be in that front group, everyone should beware. He has been putting in more run mileage than before and I suspect with nutrition, experience and another year of work his run will be good enough to at least podium. I'm looking forward to his next IM. He seems to be aware of the consequences of going deep and knowing that he only needs like a top 4 in his next race to KQ, I doubt he does go deep, but I still want to pay attention to that swim and run. He won't screw up a swim start again and his running is only going to get better.

I know people seem to think Talansky has a bigger engine, but Cam just seems like a worker who can just go on and on. He is a better all around athlete and I suspect we are just seeing the beginning of what he is going to do.

The assumption is that as he puts in more swim and run training, his biking stays the same. This is almost NEVER true....that's the fine balance of the three. How much of your strength do you give away to prop up your weaker areas?

In terms of the other statement on this thread about going for a world record at Western OZ, the numbers for Cam need to be 50+4:00+2:55+4 to get in the range. With this being his 5th IM this year, what do you guys think the chance of the 2:55 are? I'd say it is low, but I really wish he can pull it off. I loved how he raced in Kona.

Very much agreed on the balance and I do expect his bike training and power to be slightly affected. With someone who has as much sporting background as he does, I still don't see his biking being noticeably affected. I think he might already be close to hanging on the FOP, he just needs to be aggressive at the start and remember what that start at Kona taught him.

Also, I'm not anyone advocating he can break a world record. I do see a Sub 8 or near there sometime in the next year though.

I definitely think Cam has a shot at Sub 8 at Western Oz. It is a salt water wetsuit swim or no wetsuit? If the former, not only is the swim faster, you have more legs left over for a fast ride. After that, he really only has to run 3:00 to hit 8 hours (50, 4:05, 3:00, 4) = 7:59. Those numbers seem reasonable range. By the way, my previous math was wrong....to hit Frodo's time you really cannot give away any time on any event. You need to be world class in all three (which is Why Lionel in Arizona 2016 was off Frodo's record....all in the swim).
Quote Reply
Re: And Cam Wurf is ready to throw down [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is a extraordinary cyclist, but his running skills are quite lacking. Until he can run sub 3 hours off the bike he should probably not talk about "riding away" from his competitors. The best triathletes always save something for the run, and I don't think Cam Wurf truly had a great marathon in him after that bike, no matter how many GU shots. If I were him I would bike 1-2x per week and put in some big running miles and some fast running to improve his running economy. Maybe he is already planning on doing that...
Quote Reply
Re: And Cam Wurf is ready to throw down [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check his run from Cairns. It's not bad. Also cut the guy some slack. He was on his 4th IM for the year at Kona. Lionel was on IM number 1. Patrick was on IM number 2. That's a completely different world. I think Lionel's approach now is the right one.....go to Kona get some good KPR points and validate after Kona and don't do any IM's all year leading into Kona and rip it up. That's what guys like Mark Allen got to do previously doing only Kona. Now what we see is guys all beaten and battered by the time Kona comes around. I would not judge too much yet what Cam Wurf's IM run can be.....probably best benchmark would be his 5K run times to see where his ceiling is, not judge by his IM run splits (yet).
Quote Reply
Re: And Cam Wurf is ready to throw down [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has mentioned several times post Kona that he is now running big mileage. Iirc he's mentioned peaking at 100mpw. Cam is methodical and has a monster engine plus incredible core strength to help. I really think he can be a contender in the next couple of years, if he makes front pack in the swim and still bikes 4:12 he will be in t2 in 5h+around 4 min for t1/t2, and a 2:55 would get him slightly under 8 and a def podium. Both Cam and Lionel will be really dangerous to the rest of the field in the future, because if they make the first pack, I don't see anyone catching up to them.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: And Cam Wurf is ready to throw down [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
He has mentioned several times post Kona that he is now running big mileage. Iirc he's mentioned peaking at 100mpw. Cam is methodical and has a monster engine plus incredible core strength to help. I really think he can be a contender in the next couple of years, if he makes front pack in the swim and still bikes 4:12 he will be in t2 in 5h+around 4 min for t1/t2, and a 2:55 would get him slightly under 8 and a def podium. Both Cam and Lionel will be really dangerous to the rest of the field in the future, because if they make the first pack, I don't see anyone catching up to them.

The new Hawi train would be a set of uberbikers with Cam, Starky, Lionel and Sebi!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: And Cam Wurf is ready to throw down [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think so, Cam wouldn't want to be near Lionel in t2 and would prob want a few min lead, same with Sebi. I think next year Cam will push the pace even more and possibly bring down the bike record further to get a 5 min lead on the rest of the guys. This year Cam needed experience and the best way to get it was to ride with Sebi, next year he will know at least a little more what it takes on the big island which leads me to believe he will solo from the turnaround.
Im guessing he makes front pack, catches amberger after 30 miles, and drops the hammer at the turnaround.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: And Cam Wurf is ready to throw down [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice interview, and thanks.

It's worth listening to his Bob Babbit podcast interview also, it sheds a lot more light on his Kona thoughts - he's very honest. Knows where he's strong, and where he's weak.

Before I didn't think much about him at all, positive or negative, but that interview really changed my perception in a positive way. We need characters in IM.

With Sebi, Lionel, McNamee (the Oxygen addict interview was great) it's going to be (hopefully) entertaining for a while.

More please, I say.
Quote Reply

Prev Next