Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 vs Boardman Air TTE 9.2
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone. I am about to buy my first tri bike after 4 years competing on road bike then Canyon Aeroad with or without tri bars depending on course. Shortlist is the Boardman TTE 9.2 or Speedmax 8.0 and both coming in around ÂŁ2500. I will do Ironman Wales next year which is main reason for purchase (general view is this is a tri bike course although rolling / hilly) as long as your bike handling okay, and will also do other sprint / 1/2 IM distance next season. Both bikes fits look okay for me in a Small. Wondered if
anyone has either bike or can give me a view based on their knowledge and experience? I did look for a thread on this and couldn’t find one but apologies if repeating. Many Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 vs Boardman Air TTE 9.2 [bickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No experience with either, but my $$$ is on the Canyon being more aerodynamic. It's what I'd choose between those two.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 vs Boardman Air TTE 9.2 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks natethomas.

Yes the Canyon offers great value and the wheel spec with Mavic Comete Carbon 62mm in there makes it ready to go.
I was trying to find some information on what kind of gain you have from more of the 'super bike' style which the Boardman is with the integrated cockpit, brakes etc. They claim 5% aerodynamic gain (13 minutes in an IM!) versus their non-integrated version the ATT which is a hell of a lot.

The Canyon CF is less integrated (this is not the more expensive SLX) and has standard Ultegra brakes.

I found a thread on ST that uses the Canyon CF as the 'base' model compared to a number of super bikes and the figure of 1 minute over a Canyon CF SLX for a 1/2 IM distance comes up. If that's all the difference will be then will likely go with the Canyon and be 2 minutes slower than the Boardman but will not need to also factor in cost of a good set of deep section wheels.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Canyon Aeroad with or without tri bars depending on course.
How do you achieve this?

On topic, if anything, the Canyon is more integrated. It takes into account stuff you'll need mind such as nutrition, for instance. The aero penalty of adding that to the Boardman should be taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 vs Boardman Air TTE 9.2 [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Thorax - thanks for your feedback.

What I mention is for my Canyon Aeroad road bike (not the Speedmax in the picture that am considering buying) I use clip on aero bars on a standard aero road bike.

Good point that there is the nutrition store behind the stem on the Speedmax and would need to add a bento box for the Boardman TTE.
I think what really got me thinking was the Boardman claim of 5% aero / time gain for the TTE which is their integrated bike vs the ATT which is non-intergrated, exposed front brake and stem etc., and if that's the standard difference then that's about 13 minutes over 180km!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At that price point, you really need to consider the Trek SC 7 series. You can get a 7.0 for that price if you hunt on the web (integrated brakes but std bars), and there's at least one place showing the fully integrated 7.5 for under ÂŁ3k

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 vs Boardman Air TTE 9.2 [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jorgan - given me something else to think about.

I've just looked now at an Speed Concept 7.0 which is on sale and in my size so well within price point (I have some Cosmic Carbone's from my Aeroad that could use with this to replace stock wheels).
Do you ride a SC? Looks very aero and integrated, and wonder how it handles on technical, hilly courses as that is a factor. If you're in the UK then you know what a lot of our bike legs look like!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the 7.0 is very versatile as you can use whatever bars you want, but get all the other integration. I (still) ride a 2011 SC7 with a Tri Rig brake, and it has served me very well. I have used the Trek on all sorts of courses; Blaenavon is the only course in the UK that's been hilly/rough enough that I've used a road bike over a TT bike. With coastal courses like Tenby, you're going to have to think carefully about front wheel depth, whatever bike you choose. I've had a few 'moments' over the years in places like Weymouth and Cornwall with the onshore winds, which are exacerbated by terrain i.e. descents.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jorgan.
Funnily enough I frequently ride around Abergavenny and went for a ride over the Tumble and Llangynidr on Friday so know the Blaenavon tri route very well.
Don't know how I missed the Trek Speed Concept but looking at spec, and info from website does look like a lot of thought has gone into aerodynamics and seems to be pretty flexible for fit too. Also the add on storage options look well though out. Will give the shop a call and just double check on fit.
Yes wheel choice for Tenby will be important depending on the day, although I know a few guys went with discs still this year which I was surprised with as it was howling. If the winds up I'll look at another option to my cosmics as they don't like a crosswind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old Blaenavon route made the Tumble look easy ;-) (it joined the top of the Tumble, but via Oak Lane which is a very rough & steep back lane & we then did 'The British' climb after that).

Hope you have success with the Trek if it fits.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bickster wrote:
What I mention is for my Canyon Aeroad road bike (not the Speedmax in the picture that am considering buying) I use clip on aero bars on a standard aero road bike.
Which clip on bars do you use? Do you have the H11 cockpit or standard round bar?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 vs Boardman Air TTE 9.2 [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I should have picked-up on that too, as I have an Endurace with the H31 cockpit. The only thing that might fit that I've seen is the Giant bar mount for the Propel. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...ro-clip-on-bar-clamp

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi guys.

Thanks again for your views and input.

No I have the entry level aeroad without the H11 cockpit.
Just a standard bar set up so I just used a standard set of clip on tri bars straight onto the handlebar.
While the Aeroad is great to ride and okay to push hard on the shorter tri's I don't think I'll get the position or set up for the run on the longer distance tri's planning for next year so looking for a dedicated tri bike.

Speed Concept 7.0 does look a good option with good storage and fuelling options and all reviews I've read say how great it handles too which will be ideal for the rolling courses around Wales / UK.
Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 has added benefit of a decent set of wheels (Mavic Comete Carbon 62mm) which are meant to be more stable in crosswinds than the older Cosmic Carbon's I currently have which can make the bike move around a lot.
Boardman remains a bit of an unknown so have put that out of the running.

I'm sure I'll pull the trigger and buy something the next few days just still digesting all the information at the moment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Yeah I should have picked-up on that too, as I have an Endurace with the H31 cockpit. The only thing that might fit that I've seen is the Giant bar mount for the Propel. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...ro-clip-on-bar-clamp

They now have two different clip-on bars that are compatible (advised) only for the Ultimate SLX cockpit. Apparently the H11 has carbon walls that are too thin and have broke once they tested the combo.
Anyway, they're available on their website and are made by profile design.
Last edited by: Thorax: Nov 21, 17 12:26
Quote Reply