Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road trip USA West Coast
Quote | Reply
Hello collective wisdom of the LR!

The girlfriend and I are planning a 5-week road trip this summer. West Coast.
Besides the obvious places/hotspots, what do you recommend?

Are there less well known places which we should absolutely visit? Cities we really can't drive by?
Things we certainly must do? Other things which make our trip more fun?

Really interested to hear your thoughts!
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip USA West Coast [Joca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’re hitting up Oregon Coast, check out Manzanita. It hasn’t been too overrun by tourists yet, so it’s very refreshing compared to Cannon Beach for example. We always rent a house from VRBO or whatever it is.

If you go, do the Neahkahnie Hike. It’s only a couple of miles, but the views are alright. It’s the typical post card picture of the crescent-shaped beach.

Go to Marzanos Pizza. Get the cheese bread. Damn. Go to the little Apple. It’s the grocery store in town. The Coffee/ice cream shop.
All of Laneda (ave?) (Blvd?) (honestly I don’t know) is a cool little stretch (:
Another option is the campground just outside of town.

That’s been our go to spot for years and years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on up to Valyermo!! Best riding and running in CA and you can do some serious shopping from our latest acquisition. Have a coffee with the man himself, and get some of his secret spot destinations around the state.. As long as I don't have any camps, will get you a nice view room really cheap too... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
5-week road trip

Fianlly someone who’s willing to take what I’d consider the minimum amount of time to di this.

Tell me what you interested in doing and I can give you some recommendations....

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip USA West Coast [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
If you’re hitting up Oregon Coast, check out Manzanita. It hasn’t been too overrun by tourists yet, so it’s very refreshing compared to Cannon Beach for example. We always rent a house from VRBO or whatever it is.

If you go, do the Neahkahnie Hike. It’s only a couple of miles, but the views are alright. It’s the typical post card picture of the crescent-shaped beach.

Go to Marzanos Pizza. Get the cheese bread. Damn. Go to the little Apple. It’s the grocery store in town. The Coffee/ice cream shop.
All of Laneda (ave?) (Blvd?) (honestly I don’t know) is a cool little stretch (:
Another option is the campground just outside of town.

That’s been our go to spot for years and years.

Thanks for the advice, it sounds good.
But our plan (for now), is to keep San Francisco as the most Northerly city, if that changes, we will certainly visit the places you recommend!
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip USA West Coast [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Come on up to Valyermo!! Best riding and running in CA and you can do some serious shopping from our latest acquisition. Have a coffee with the man himself, and get some of his secret spot destinations around the state.. As long as I don't have any camps, will get you a nice view room really cheap too... (-;

Sounds like a plan! We will most likely be in the USA from mid July untill the end of August.
Not sure yet when we will be around your area. Will give you an update, when the plan is confirmed.
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip USA West Coast [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
5-week road trip

Fianlly someone who’s willing to take what I’d consider the minimum amount of time to di this.

Tell me what you interested in doing and I can give you some recommendations....

It's our first time in the USA. We would most likely rent a large SUV, buy a small tent, and combining that with sleeping in hostels if neccesary.
We planning to visits some National Parks, nice cities, and we are thinking about driving from LA to SF via Highway Nr1. So, all the usual tourist stuff :)

We are interested in your local knowledge, from activities, places to stay or restaurants.
Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joca wrote:

Are there less well known places which we should absolutely visit? Cities we really can't drive by?

Let me put San Francisco, Carmel, Pt. Reyes, Napa, Yosemite and Lake Tahoe on your obvious CA hot spot list.

Let me add the Redwood National Forest, Death Valley, Truckie, Mt. Shasta, Sequoia National Park, Joshua Tree, Lassen Volcanic Nat. Park, McArthur Birney as lesser known places to camp.

If you get near Sacramento and want to crash for free let me know.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We planning to visits some National Parks, nice cities, and we are thinking about driving from LA to SF via Highway Nr1. So, all the usual tourist stuff :) //

You might be out of luck on that drive, think the road is still closed but haven't checked lately. But there are work arounds that are pretty nice, you can even visit the Woodstock of triathlon, Lake San Antonio. If you are flying into LA and the timing works out for me, I would loan you some camping gear like tent and a few other essentials. OF course you can buy it all new for probably under $400, depends on your budget..
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip USA West Coast [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
If you’re hitting up Oregon Coast, check out Manzanita.

My mom just moved there! So I'll be there soon to help her get all settled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joca wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
5-week road trip

It's our first time in the USA. We would most likely rent a large SUV, buy a small tent, and combining that with sleeping in hostels if neccesary.
We planning to visits some National Parks, nice cities, and we are thinking about driving from LA to SF via Highway Nr1. So, all the usual tourist stuff :)

We are interested in your local knowledge, from activities, places to stay or restaurants.
Thanks in advance!

Yep
:-)
drive a large RV thru LA, looking for a camp ground, then into Sf for same :-0

Be sure to get video, that will be hilarious.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip USA West Coast [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He said SUV not RV. Although the RV would be great if you stuck to the open roads and hugged the coast most the way. But may as well stay in 5 star hotels for what they get you for renting newer RV's these days..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sant Barbara is really nice and very tourist friendly. I can give you lots of recommendations for things to do and places to eat here.

Would recommend 3 nights here depending on what you want to do. You’ve pretty much seen all the tourist stuff in that time so unless you just want to relax and do nothing it’s best to move on.

Plenty of non-tourist stuff here too.

It’s 2 hours out of LA and on the way to SF.

Hwy 1 may not have through access by then or it might. Hearst Castle in San Simeon is pretty cool. Nearby is Cambria (small town with antique shopping) and Morro Bay (a fishing town that tries to be a tourist town.

Hit me up if you come to SB and I’ll steer you to the best mexican food.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would be better served keeping San Fran as your southernmost destination and visiting the PNW instead, especially if you are camping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
We planning to visits some National Parks, nice cities, and we are thinking about driving from LA to SF via Highway Nr1. So, all the usual tourist stuff :) //

You might be out of luck on that drive, think the road is still closed but haven't checked lately. But there are work arounds that are pretty nice, you can even visit the Woodstock of triathlon, Lake San Antonio. If you are flying into LA and the timing works out for me, I would loan you some camping gear like tent and a few other essentials. OF course you can buy it all new for probably under $400, depends on your budget..

If you're going to be that far south, start in San Diego instead - there's plenty to see there before you work your way up to L.A.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second Duffy's rec on the central coast area. Check out Pismo Beach or Avila Beach. Classic old school CA beach towns. A little busy on weekends in the summer.

If you make it to Morro Bay as Duffy suggested, make a trip to the Taco Temple. You can thank me later.

If you like wine and cant make it to Napa-Sonoma, the area between Santa Barbara to Paso Robles along the 101 is nearly one continuous wine region.

Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

To not have to spend $400,- on camping gear and also to meet you would be great! When we booked our tickets, i will let you know to see if we can work something out.

An RV would indeed be nice, but as you say, it is extremely pricey. And quite a challenge in the busy cities i guess..
Quote Reply
Re: Road trip USA West Coast [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Joca wrote:

Let me put San Francisco, Carmel, Pt. Reyes, Napa, Yosemite and Lake Tahoe on your obvious CA hot spot list.

Let me add the Redwood National Forest, Death Valley, Truckie, Mt. Shasta, Sequoia National Park, Joshua Tree, Lassen Volcanic Nat. Park, McArthur Birney as lesser known places to camp.

If you get near Sacramento and want to crash for free let me know.

Thanks for the tips, we will look into it! When we get to go to Sacramento, i will contact you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Sant Barbara is really nice and very tourist friendly. I can give you lots of recommendations for things to do and places to eat here.

Would recommend 3 nights here depending on what you want to do. You’ve pretty much seen all the tourist stuff in that time so unless you just want to relax and do nothing it’s best to move on.

Plenty of non-tourist stuff here too.

It’s 2 hours out of LA and on the way to SF.

Hwy 1 may not have through access by then or it might. Hearst Castle in San Simeon is pretty cool. Nearby is Cambria (small town with antique shopping) and Morro Bay (a fishing town that tries to be a tourist town.

Hit me up if you come to SB and I’ll steer you to the best mexican food.

Santa Barbara and Morro Bay were already on our short list, and now with the added bonus of very good Mexican food, both certainly stays on it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're willing to venture outside of the USA then definitely hit up Vancouver Island. You can catch a ferry from Seattle to Victoria. The ferry ride from Victoria to Vancouver is especially scenic. Could do that and then drive south back into Washington state.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a somewhat example of a trip I did last year. Definitely encourage you to go north of SF. This is just a point-point example. Lots of stuff to do in between

https://roadtrippers.com/...z=3.9678325974032203
Quote Reply
Road trip USA West Coast [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tickets are booked, we're flying to Vegas (much cheaper for both flight tickets and car rental then both SF and LA). Arriving on the 14th of july. When we visit SB, Valyermo and Sacramento, i will let you guys know! We want to go there, but we don't know yet when exactly we will arrive in these places.

Thanks a lot for all the good advice and suggestions guys, really appreciated!
Quote Reply