Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP Malcom Young: Dementia Claims AC/DC Co-Founder at Age 64
Quote | Reply
Way, way too young. Young, who along with brother Angus, co-founded Rock & Roll Hall of Fame band AC/DC in Australia in 1973, nailed down the rhythm guitar parts, providing the group's rock-solid power-chord backing to Angus's all-world, searing guitar leads. He'd been suffering from dementia for the past three years and his sudden departure from the group in 2014 as their "Rock or Bust" tour loomed came as a shock to hard-rock fans the world over.

Malcom was also preceded in death by his older brother Georgie -- who was guitarist for the 1960s rock band The Easybeats as well as AC/DC's longtime producer -- in October.

Today, it's time to dust off the Strat and play a range of power-chord AC/DC licks in Malcolm Young's honor.

AC/DC guitarist Malcolm Young dies at 64 - BBC News

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Nov 18, 17 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Malcom Young: Dementia Claims AC/DC Co-Founder at Age 64 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, I had hoped these guys would be rockin until thier 80's

I'll be listening to a heavy rotation of AC/DC today.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Malcom Young: Dementia Claims AC/DC Co-Founder at Age 64 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Way, way too young. Young, who along with brother Angus, co-founded Rock & Roll Hall of Fame band AC/DC in Australia in 1973, nailed down the rhythm guitar parts, providing the group's rock-solid power-chord backing to Angus's all-world, searing guitar leads. He'd been suffering from dementia for the past three years and his sudden departure from the group in 2014 as their "Rock or Bust" tour loomed came as a shock to hard-rock fans the world over.

Malcom was also preceded in death by his older brother Georgie -- who was guitarist for the 1960s rock band The Easybeats as well as AC/DC's longtime producer -- in October.

Today, it's time to dust off the Strat and play a range of power-chord AC/DC licks in Malcolm Young's honor.

Only 64 and gets dementia. My mother passed away with this two years ago but she was 90. I wonder if the rock n roll lifestyle had anything to do with it? But then maybe not as Keith Richards would have been gone years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Malcom Young: Dementia Claims AC/DC Co-Founder at Age 64 [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Only 64 and gets dementia. My mother passed away with this two years ago but she was 90. I wonder if the rock n roll lifestyle had anything to do with it? But then maybe not as Keith Richards would have been gone years ago.

And we really do need to start thinking about what sort of world we're going to leave for ol' Keith, eh? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: RIP Malcom Young: Dementia Claims AC/DC Co-Founder at Age 64 [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I know he had a drinking problem but as far as I know no drugs, so it's hard to say if his drinking played a roll, just way to young. RIP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, another good one gone. RIP

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fuck

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I first saw them at The Spectrum back in '77 when they opened for The Nuge

I was just listening to this while in the weight room yesterday, a show I saw in MD a couple years later

Mal was a solid rhythm player, just chugging along over there on the left

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man that sucks. RIP Malcom.

AC/DC had a special place in my heart growing up and still does. I still listen to a wide selection of their songs daily on my workout playlist.

I didn't get a chance to see them way back in the day, but did see them circa 1988 in Birmingham, AL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sucks. Highway to Hell was the record that really got me into metal. Was my first vinyl I think. Also inspired to learn to play guitar since I could pick up most of the cords by ear and the tuning was easy enough to figure out. Thanks for riffs, Malcolm...

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Malcom Young: Dementia Claims AC/DC Co-Founder at Age 64 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Sucks. Highway to Hell was the record that really got me into metal. Was my first vinyl I think. Also inspired to learn to play guitar since I could pick up most of the cords by ear and the tuning was easy enough to figure out. Thanks for riffs, Malcolm...

Yeah, totally sucks. Highway to Hell was definitely my first vinyl. I still remember my Mom's disgust at the album cover when we bought it at the record store--with the horns and tail and all. She did say I could buy anything. lol. I love AC/DC.

RIP Malcolm.
Last edited by: zed707: Nov 18, 17 22:21
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Malcom Young: Dementia Claims AC/DC Co-Founder at Age 64 [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
AC/DC had a special place in my heart growing up and still does.

"You don't bring girls that listen to AC/DC home to meet Mom ... but you do bring them home"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Malcom Young: Dementia Claims AC/DC Co-Founder at Age 64 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Endo wrote:
AC/DC had a special place in my heart growing up and still does.

"You don't bring girls that listen to AC/DC home to meet Mom ... but you do bring them home"

Especially if you can play AC/DC songs on the guitar. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: RIP Malcom Young: Dementia Claims AC/DC Co-Founder at Age 64 [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Yeah, totally sucks. Highway to Hell was definitely my first vinyl. I still remember my Mom's disgust at the album cover when we bought it at the record store--with the horns and tail and all. She did say I could buy anything. lol. I love AC/DC.

My mom took a look at the album and said, "You know that AC/DC means they are bisexual, don't you?" HAHAHA
Quote Reply