Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Inverted progression: Pace before base
Quote | Reply
I am getting back into marathon training but due to some social conditions will likely end up training for pace before building a deep base. By that I mean the way I have done it in the past is to build up to doing longer distances (12-20 mile runs) and then incrementally increasing the pace of those long runs. Now I am looking at training on mid distances (7-10) with a goal of increasing pace and then will be extending the length of those runs in the future and trying to hold that pace over increasingly longer distances.

I'm sure there are some people that would advise against this, but let's say it's a given that I am going with pace before base. Any advice on how to maximize progress or things to consider when structuring a program like this?

Thanks much!

ERG
Quote Reply
Re: Inverted progression: Pace before base [ERG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get injured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend 6 weeks of 5-7 days a week just running easy to build up connecting tissue strength. If you've already done that then skip it.

Add a day of speed work for 5-6 weeks. What that is depends on you. 15 min of effort at VO2 or 40 min of Threshold.

Add another day of speed work for 5-6 weeks.

Don't go crazy and add intensity really quick. See how you respond and adjust the next week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is preventing you or encouraging you to pursue this reversed approach (particularly when it seems that you have experience with, and presumably success, with the alternative)?

My suspicion is that that build rate to prevent injury and the injury prevention miles and “base” stuffers that you will put in there will probably get you to a base->to->pace outcome anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Inverted progression: Pace before base [Testament TN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testament TN wrote:
What is preventing you or encouraging you to pursue this reversed approach (particularly when it seems that you have experience with, and presumably success, with the alternative)?.

The new GF. I am starting off training for faster shorter distances to match up with her and then going to extend distances to shoot for a personal goal. Face punch me or whatever, but yeah at my age the GF is more important than another PR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ERG wrote:
Testament TN wrote:
What is preventing you or encouraging you to pursue this reversed approach (particularly when it seems that you have experience with, and presumably success, with the alternative)?.

The new GF. I am starting off training for faster shorter distances to match up with her and then going to extend distances to shoot for a personal goal. Face punch me or whatever, but yeah at my age the GF is more important than another PR.

You and she train at the same pace and at the same time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you? Might be relevant for injury risk. Honestly I think you'll be fine. Just take it one race at a time. Train for your shorter distance races like you want to, then go long. I've heard that this approach might be better anyway, because speed lasts longer than endurance does. As long as you don't get hurt, that is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be totally fine. The Hanson marathon training plan (another lower mileage plan) does exactly this, running @ MP or faster right off the bat and only then increasing the distances run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put together a write up for some local guys and gals that wanted advice on training for the marathon a few weeks ago. Maybe it will give you some ideas. The paces noted are likely a little quicker then you want, but focus on the % pace. Also this is geared to a runner and you are a triathlete ??? so keep that in mind. Basically, don't try to do this, just use it for ideas. Most likely the weekday workouts will be your weekend workouts adjusted to your paces. This is based on what my wife did in 2007 and 2008 back when we put a lot of energy into this stuff. Also had another women run well (2:40) and two guys 2:15 & 2:17. I have coached 4:30 marathoners as well. To say the least they do nothing like what is below so be careful. Anyway you will see I believe in being in good 5k-10k shape before starting marathon training and working hard.

Don't forget to put just as much effort into recovery as you do into your training ...

Marathon Training Outline
¡ REST, 1-2 weeks do anything you want, just don't run
¡ BASE / Not Marathon Training!, 2-4 Months
o Don't think about the marathon
o Run shorter races, road, track, xc, etc.
o Have fun and start getting fit.
o Add a core workout 5:00 3x per week – simple easy, stick with it
o No mileage goals, no stress, just enjoy running.
o Only race goals you set for yourself (multiple 5k-10k races are good idea though)
¡ TRANSITION, 1 Month
o Increase long run to 18-20 mile range
§ This is a focus on increasing duration. At this point it has nothing to do with marathon training. It is more training to train for the marathon.
§ Don’t do a long run every week. Goal is to get in 2-3 runs of 18+ in 4 weeks.
o On an easy days add 6-8 x 10 sec short STEEP hill sprints w/ 1:00+ rest.
o Otherwise continue doing what you were doing before. Race, have fun
¡ EASY WEEK, 1 week
o Consider a day off.
o A longer run is ok, but no workouts other than strides or very short hill sprints.

¡ MARATHON TRAINING BEGINS EVERY RUN HAS A GOAL
¡ Things to keep in mind
o If you are running slower than 80% of race pace you are NOT training for the marathon you are recovering so JOG. The cut of is ~6:20/mi for a 2:19 marathon.
§ If easy runs start a 8:00 pace and finish around 7:30 that is fine. If you start running 7:00 pace on easy days and your workouts suck as a coach I would ask you to slow down the easy days. If your workouts are fine then I wouldn’t say anything.
o The workout days will be challenging mentally and physically. You will get tired. You will have success and failure in training. You will want to quit, but you will be ready to race a marathon if you stick with it.
§ You will never see me suggest a “long run” the workouts will take care of that.
§ If you are doing long warmups and cool downs for “mileage” your workout was not really focused on the marathon

¡ BLOCK #1, 3 WEEKS
o One easy day each week do strides around 20 seconds at 5k pace or a bit quicker
o One easy day each week do 6-8 x 10-15 sec STEEP hill sprints all out will full rest
o In general mileage per week will increase about 10mi/week from week 1, 2 and 3
o Goal: Marathon Pace Focus Block.
o WEEKDAY (“Wednesday”) Workout: Goal start hitting 100% race pace and extending time. “Rest” is not slower than 80% or race pace for these workouts.
§ Examples:
¡ Week 1: 10 x 1000 @ 100% w/ 1000 rest @ 80%
o For 2:19 that is 3:17 w/ 3:57 for the rest or 20k @ 5:50/mi avg.
¡ Week 2: 8 x 1mi @ 100% w/ (0.5 mi rest @ 80%)
o For 2:19 that is 5:18 and 3:11 on the rest or 12 mi @ 5:39/mi
¡ Week 3: 7 x 2000 @ 100% w/ 1000 rest @ 85%
o For 2:19 that is 6:35 w/ 3:47 rest or 21k @ 5:34/mi
o WEEKEND Workout: Extending duration at paces that matter 80-90% mostly and extend up to 100% race pace
¡ Week 1: 2 mi jogging, 13 mi @ 80%, 5 mi @ 95-100%, 1 mi jogging
o For 2:19, 6:21/mi & 5:34-5:18
¡ Week 2: 4-5 x 3 mi @ 85-90% (6:05 - 5:34) w/ 1 mi rest @ 80% (6:21)
¡ Week 3: Really HARD
o AM: 1-2 mi jogging, 6mi or 10k @ 80% + 6 mi or 10k @ 97-100%, 1 mi jogging cdn
o PM: 1-2 mi jogging, 6mi or 10k @ 80%, 2:00 rest, 6-10 x 1000 @ 100% w/ 2:00 rest (standing walking trotting around)
¡ REST + Race, 1 WEEK
o You MUST recover if you do the week 3 weekend workout above. Jog slow and short for at least 3 days. Add strides on day 4. Mileage for the week does not matter. It will be much lower than the previous three weeks. Remember the goal for the week: RECOVER.
o On the weekend find a race of 10k-1/2 marathon and do it at max effort.
§ It may go great, it may not. It does not matter.

¡ BLOCK #2, 3 WEEKS
o One easy day each week do strides around 20 seconds at 5k pace or a bit quicker
o One easy day each week do 6-8 x 10-15 sec STEEP hill sprints all out will full rest
o In general mileage will decrease 5-10 mi each week. Start at about Block #1 Week #2 mileage
o Goal: Refine race pace, but also add some faster running to peak your fitness
o WEEKDAY (“Wednesday”) Workout: Goal start running faster than race pace, but don’t “stress” about how much faster – Fartlek runs are a good idea, but track workouts are fine. You can Jog the rest now J
§ Examples:
¡ Week 1: 2-3 sets of [5:00, 4:00, 3:00, 2:00, 1:00] fast w/ 1:00 jog rest, 5:00 jog between sets (that is likely 8-9 miles of hard running)
¡ Week 2: If you need a mental recovery day take it now, add strides, otherwise do a fartlek workout getting in 30-45:00 to hard running or 6-8 x 1 mile @ 105% (5:02/mi) w/ a 3:00 jog rest
· Week 3: Fartlek [9:00, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1] HARD w/ 2:00 jogging rest – push yourself!
o WEEKEND Workout: Keep the long workout going, but not so hard that it makes you excessively tired.
§ Examples:
· Week 1: 6 x 2mi @ 80, 85, 90, 90, 95 and 100% pace w/ 1 mi easy (< 80% pace) rest – sometimes this weekend can be hit and miss
· Week 2: 5 mi @ 80% + 10-15 mi @ 95-100% (a ½ marathon race w/ a fast warmup can be a great help …)
· Week 3: Starting to back off a little, 12 miles easy + 4-5 miles progressive from 90% to 105% of race pace – consider doing this on a track (5:50 down to 5:00 pace)
¡ TAPER 2 weeks
o Week 1:
§ Mid Week 6-8 mi @ 90% + 2 miles of 20 second stride / 40 sec easy run
§ Weekend – 12 miles w/ 6 miles (on the track @ 100% race pace)
o Week 2:
§ 5 days out: 3-4 miles progressive from 90% to 100% race pace or just quicker
§ 2 days out: 1mi or 2k at 100% race pace (5-6 mi total run)
§ 1 day out: 3 mi jogging, JOGGING
§ RACE!

Ed Alyanak

Quote Reply
Re: Inverted progression: Pace before base [ealyanak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reasonable and flexible...little bit of Canova in there😀?

Cheers,
Quote Reply