Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone use a garmin 935?
Quote | Reply
Hi. Does anyone here use a garmin 935? What do you use for triathlons on a pool ,open water or pool swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use a garmin 935? [jacobpeacock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pool, open water uses gps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what the question here is - can the 935 be used for an indoor tri?

If that is the question, you can change the type of activities in the triathlon activity.
The default is OW swim, outdoor bike, and outdoor run, but you can switch them to pool swim/indoor bike/treadmill - or other combo.

If the question is if the watch can be used for OW or pool swimming, then go to http://www.dcrainmaker.com

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use a garmin 935? [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my question is, what should I use for a pool swim triathlon ( run and bike outdoor)? Pool swim mode or open water. I'm asking this because I'm worried that if I hit someone midway a lap and stop while using pool mode, it will count it as a finished lap meaning wrong total distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I leave it as OWS because you dont hit the end of the pool. I just accept that the distance wont be accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use OWS, then the distance will be totally screwed because there’s no GPS indoors.

Unless you’re trying to use the watch to keep track of your total distance in the swim leg, it really doesn’t matter if you’re off. (My point of reference are indoor tris where the swim league is for certain duration of time versus distance.)

If it is indeed a fixed distance, you’re better off just counting your laps than relying on the Garmin.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well there you go. Every pool triathlon I've done (Australia) has been in outdoor pools where the GPS works.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use a garmin 935? [Slunnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
January triathlons in New Jersey equals indoors all the way! As much as I detest treadmills, I’m happy with the format

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's an outdoor pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use a garmin 935? [Slunnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the first time I've heard anyone say that they have been able to accurately measure lengths in an outdoor pool using GPS. Not that I disbelieve you, but would you post an activity to demonstrate? The GPS does work, but I question whether it works accurately enough to exactly determine the turns at each end of the pool.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jacobpeacock wrote:
it's an outdoor pool.

I personally don’t use “triathlon” mode for race. But if you do, you might want to set it to “pool swim” for the swim portion.

Worst case scenario is stop and use individual bike/run for the latter legs if someone screw up your swim recording.

(Just ordered my 935 this afternoon. Can’t wait.)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone use a garmin 935? [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
That's the first time I've heard anyone say that they have been able to accurately measure lengths in an outdoor pool using GPS. Not that I disbelieve you, but would you post an activity to demonstrate? The GPS does work, but I question whether it works accurately enough to exactly determine the turns at each end of the pool.

If that was my post you're commenting on, I was saying that the distances are inaccurate:
Slunnie wrote:
I leave it as OWS because you dont hit the end of the pool. I just accept that the distance wont be accurate.

tie3 wrote:
jacobpeacock wrote:
it's an outdoor pool.

I personally don’t use “triathlon” mode for race. But if you do, you might want to set it to “pool swim” for the swim portion.

Worst case scenario is stop and use individual bike/run for the latter legs if someone screw up your swim recording.

(Just ordered my 935 this afternoon. Can’t wait.)

I was the same with my previous 910, but I now use Triathlon mode on the 935 because it is significantly slower and requires a lot of looking to end a workout, change sport and restart. Nowhere near as good as the 910 for doing a quick change. The 935 is much better in seperating the workouts in Triathlon mode also which was always a problem for me with the 910.
Quote Reply