Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tri bike for 6'7" please help
Quote | Reply
I have been using my road bike for the last couple months as I got deeper into the sport. I have signed up for the Hawaii 70.3 in June, and would like to get into a tri bike as I train.

I have done a lot of research, but have really only found the 2018 Felt B14. Can anyone recommend another manufacturer or specific bike I should be looking at?

Any recommendations for the used market would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike for 6'7" please help [mclayton_1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a bike fit. Do not assume what size bike you need. I am 6'5 and can fit on lots of bikes with tweaks.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'6" 187lbs, relatively flexible, on a 2009 Specialized Transition Pro in XL. (or whatever was largest back then). The seat post is maxed out with an adapter rather than the stock aero carbon seatpost, and my weight is way forward, but I fit. 200mm crank helps counteract the seat and leg length. ISM saddle.

It was a huge difference to get aero extensions extra long, and actually fit my arms. Much more comfortable - I had to modify a set of Zipp extensions to fit on a HED aerobar. My fitter focused on legs and knee angles and basically just shrugged at the forearm position which turned out to matter.

Get a fit, if you really really trust the fitter. If not, they will squeeze you on to what you got and make the best situation out of your bike. The Felt is a good choice as it is long, and the Canyons look good too. Frodo is 6'4" on a Medium, I think. You can find a bike and make it fit.

2nd tallest finisher of IM LP in 2013 (he had a Guru), and tallest at IM Tremblant 2017. I hear USAT is getting rid of Clydesdales and adding a Giraffe category.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Dave, get a fit. But I'll tell you, I'm 6'7", 185 pounds, 38" inseam (jeans size), and I ride a Cannondale Slice. Great value, comfortable, and easy to adapt for tall guys.
Oh and CHEAP!

NO
Last edited by: Alabama Viking: Nov 17, 17 18:16
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike for 6'7" please help [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What crank arm length do you recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike for 6'7" please help [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What crank arm length do you recommend?

Clearly you have mot been on st long. ;)

Search on velotron and see the testing i am doing on crank length. I road 200mm for years. But my testing am finding shorter is better for me. Have tested down to 145mm cranks so far.

I have ridden and played with crank length for years. And doing very structured testing to see how short i can go without losing power. So having a good bike fit if you are new is important. But you need a fitter that understands shorter cranks rather than just telling you to ride 175s.

Will see how it goes in my first races. The shorter than cranks the less our long legs get bent way up

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shiv xl is bigger than most stock xl's from ohter brands. should be good up to 86-87cm saddle height
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Get a bike fit. Do not assume what size bike you need. I am 6'5 and can fit on lots of bikes with tweaks.

Have you gotten a fit yet?
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike for 6'7" please help [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Yep, as I posted, I got a fit weeks ago

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Yep, as I posted, I got a fit weeks ago

Ok got it,

I was only on those threads for mechanical implications. Ie 220 cranks will basically cause a crash with new lowered B.B.

Not sure who you got a fit with but Dave luscious and some guy named Travis appear to be pretty “ok” shop fitters.

Slow man I think is still learning a bit, but appears to have a basic grasp of the essentials.

Have you read any threads by “big”? Slow twitch might not be the best resource for bike fitting but he was pretty good.

Just my 2c
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A buddy of mine is 6'6" on a 61cm P2 fwiw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'10" and ride a shiv, should work for you.

But get a fit
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike for 6'7" please help [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
[
Not sure who you got a fit with but Dave luscious and some guy named Travis appear to be pretty “ok” shop fitters.

Slow man I think is still learning a bit, but appears to have a basic grasp of the essentials.

It's Dave Luscan, but thank you for that. My wife has a new pet name for me!
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike for 6'7" please help [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
[

It's Dave Luscan, but thank you for that. My wife has a new pet name for me!

lol, iPhone spell check!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add something useful, 6'7" is not what I would consider a problematic height. At around 7' or so, yeah, there might be some difficulty. Find out your pad x,y and your seat height. If there's going to be an issue, it would probably be achieving the correct seat height, but you would need to be a very long legged 6'7" to get into trouble.

Most models with a complete size run (at least 5, preferably 6 sizes) should fit you well, in the largest size.
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike for 6'7" please help [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
To add something useful, 6'7" is not what I would consider a problematic height. At around 7' or so, yeah, there might be some difficulty. Find out your pad x,y and your seat height. If there's going to be an issue, it would probably be achieving the correct seat height, but you would need to be a very long legged 6'7" to get into trouble. .

I was at Kona spectating this year and so rode the course with another spectator the day before the race on road bikes. We had a blast and of course noticed a ton of people panic training out on the Queen K. It was *super* windy and we were passing a lot of people when we passed this one guy who jumped into our two-up pace line and wouldn't go away. He was HUGE, and on a 61cm P5 with all the spacers AND the high-V bars, but the kicker was how maxed out his seatpost was... I could see the white line peeking out from under the seat clamp.

Turns out he was NOT panic training but actually doing the whole course the day before the race. I saw him running later on Ali'i that evening on the way to dinner.... very tall dude, probably 6'8".

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Nov 19, 17 6:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mclayton_1984 wrote:
I have been using my road bike for the last couple months as I got deeper into the sport. I have signed up for the Hawaii 70.3 in June, and would like to get into a tri bike as I train.

I have done a lot of research, but have really only found the 2018 Felt B14. Can anyone recommend another manufacturer or specific bike I should be looking at?

Any recommendations for the used market would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you.

Definitely get a bike fit before you buy another bike.

I'm 6'4" tall, so not quite as tall as you but I did have trouble with different brands. I rode a Shiv and a Blue for a while. Both of them caused back pain despite several attempts at a bike fit to get them to fit me. It neve worked. Finally, I went and had a Retul fit done. Based on the measurements, they recommended a few bikes to me and suggested others that would not do as well (Shiv, for example, for me). I ended up with a Felt IA, based on the fit advice and I have loved it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could second the P2/P3. On a 2016 P3 frame in 61 at 6’5” and I’m pretty sure I could easily have made a 58 work well.
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike for 6'7" please help [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6'7 220 lbs, ride XL Shiv, with a little room to spare on seatpost.
Very adjustable. Found the bike works well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike for 6'7" please help [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Echoing the comments above, the most important thing is getting a good fit. I'm 6'7" 195lbs and the 61cm cervelo P2 works great for me.
Quote Reply