Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can't remove stem, what am I doing wrong?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am trying to lower the stem height on my PX TT bike. I basically want to remove the spacers as seen on the photo.

When I unscrew the top cap of the stem and the two screws on the side, the stem doesn't come off. I have also tried to unscrew the stem adjuster.

What am I doing wrong?

I have notice that when I remove the top cap, there is an additional bolt underneath. I have tried to unscrew it but I can't pull it out of the tube.
Last edited by: gazoome: Nov 17, 17 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: Can't remove stem, what am I doing wrong? [gazoome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It might have seized up. Loosen the 2 bolts on the side of the stem, and the one on the top cap. Stand in front of the bike with the front wheel locked stationary between your legs. Swing the bars from side to side. The bars should move without the front wheel moving (as the stem should be loose/ not attached to the steerer tube). Once they move, remove the top bolt/ top cap and work the stem up/off the steerer tube by rocking the bars sideways while pulling upwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's likely seized as mentioned above. Very common in this location if you don't disassemble the stem regularly and regrease it.

I had to actually take mine to the LBS to have them remove it, and it took them an hour with all sorts of stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the stem move a little after loosening the bolts or just won't budge? It could be seized if it doesn't move at all.

Unscrew the top cap bolt and remove the cap to get a better look at what's going on inside. Is it a steel steer tube? Do uou see rust?

Do you ride the trainer a lot?

Should place a towel on top if the stem to kerp the sweat off of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't remove stem, what am I doing wrong? [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. This worked up until a point. I did raise the stem but it didn't quite go all the way. I almost twisted the front brake cable in the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazoome wrote:
I have notice that when I remove the top cap, there is an additional bolt underneath. I have tried to unscrew it but I can't pull it out of the tube.

Loosen that bolt. It's likely the expander plug. When tightened, the expander plug makes it harder to take the stem off.

You also may have to disconnect the front brake (or loosen it) if there is not enough slack in the line to get the stem off the tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't remove stem, what am I doing wrong? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second that! if it's a carbon steerer the expander bolt will cause it to bulge out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what it is.

It looks exactly like this:
https://www.youtube.com/...vgJGGPnJeUDaC1Uq7khf

I guess I will just take it to a local shop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...Or you could just loosen the expander plug it with a 6mm allen key.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like this problem necessitates going to a shop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did loosen the expander plug. The stem goes up quite a bit but I can't seem to pull it all the way out. Even when moving the handlebars side to side and pushing up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you remove the expander plug?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazoome wrote:
I did loosen the expander plug. The stem goes up quite a bit but I can't seem to pull it all the way out. Even when moving the handlebars side to side and pushing up.

I suppose it would be helpful to mention what you think is limiting this movement. Is it an attached cable from the handlebarts, or does it appear to be from the stem clamp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it maybe your brake or shift cables stopping you? Try removing the handlebars first.
Quote Reply
Re: Can't remove stem, what am I doing wrong? [ddsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks you so much!

Yes it was the front break cable. I just disengaged the cable and viola the stem came off!

The expander plug (compression plug) also came off.

Should I apply some kind of grease on the headtube before I tighten everything? What kind of grease?
Last edited by: gazoome: Dec 4, 17 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not use any grease.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazoome wrote:
Thanks you so much!

Yes it was the front break cable. I just disengaged the cable and viola the stem came off!

The expander plug (compression plug) also came off.

Should I apply some kind of grease on the headtube before I tighten everything? What kind of grease?

I'm going to respectfully suggest that you take the bike to a good shop to put it back together.

Any decent shop would probably do it while you wait (especially this time of year), and charge maybe $5-$10.

Any failure or malfunction in that area can result in a really nasty crash, that comes with no warning. You need to make sure the bolts are torqued properly, in the right order, and inspecting the carbon while it is taken apart is a good idea also.

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Can't remove stem, what am I doing wrong? [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Physiojoe,

I'll check what the prices are but where I live (Denmark) taking a bike to shop for any reason costs money. Especially to a shop with an expertise in Carbon.

Can you recommend an online tutorial that shows how to do this the correct way?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend any of the Park Tool videos/tutorials. I don't undertake too many "high level" bike projects on my own, but I've found Park Tool to be easy to understand.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazoome wrote:
Physiojoe,

I'll check what the prices are but where I live (Denmark) taking a bike to shop for any reason costs money. Especially to a shop with an expertise in Carbon.

Can you recommend an online tutorial that shows how to do this the correct way?

With all due respect: There is more possibility to damage things while putting them back together than there is when you're just taking them apart. You had difficulty removing the stem because of a snagged brake cable that you didn't notice... you should probably pay a shop to put it back together so that you don't crush the steerer, strip the bolts in your stem, or set the headset preload too high or too low. Learning assembly skills on a carbon bike is not the way to go.

Less is more.
Quote Reply