Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best College Majors 2017
Quote | Reply
STEM wins! The writing is on the wall for anyone about to go to college. #9 #9 #9 surprises me, and I would really like to see all the sub-categories defined like robotics programmer, VR developer, nano technologist..... How many jobs are coming our way that don't have explicit degree programs available today? How do you become an expert on self-driving cars? What's that curriculum look like. if it even exists? There is going to be a lot of opportunity IF you are in the right field.

1. Civil Engineering
2. Biomedical Engineering
3. Nursing
4. Computer Science
5. Information Security
6. Management Information Systems
7. Finance & Economics
8. Software Engineering
9. Aerospace Engineering
10. Actuarial Mathematics

Read more at https://www.kiplinger.com/...#YcF6AQ4mIhwEwAbC.99

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Best College Majors 2017 [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't STEM always win? [Fill in the blank] engineering has always been at the top of these lists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
STEM wins! The writing is on the wall for anyone about to go to college. #9 #9 #9 surprises me, and I would really like to see all the sub-categories defined like robotics programmer, VR developer, nano technologist..... How many jobs are coming our way that don't have explicit degree programs available today? How do you become an expert on self-driving cars? What's that curriculum look like. if it even exists? There is going to be a lot of opportunity IF you are in the right field.

1. Civil Engineering
3. Nursing
4. Computer Science
5. Information Security
7. Finance & Economics
8. Software Engineering
9. Aerospace Engineering

Your occupations are out of sync with the article. Nursing is ranked #1 in the article and a lot of the rest of your list isn't correct either. Here is the correct listing:

1. Nursing
3. Civil Engineering
4. Mechanical Engineering
5. Computer Science
7. Business Administration
8. Physics
9. Actuarial Mathematics
10. Finance

Note that these are the degrees that are yielding the highest salaries. One notable occupation that isn't listed that would blow all of these away in lifetime income is an airline pilot. Not only that, but the major airlines are gradually loosening up the previous requirement for a four-year degree. Now, it is in the 'preferred' category of pilot requirements for just about all of the majors except Delta.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Best College Majors 2017 [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(Note to self: hire a computer science major to troll the internet for me... can't find pink).

I like to hire people with these majors.
Sure- they are stupid and greedy.
But the handle mind bending boredom well.
That is what their degrees demonstrate.
And that's what I will offer them..
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Nov 17, 17 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Best College Majors 2017 [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

1. Civil Engineering
3. Nursing
4. Computer Science
5. Information Security
7. Finance & Economics
8. Software Engineering
9. Aerospace Engineering

Your occupations are out of sync with the article. Nursing is ranked #1 in the article and a lot of the rest of your list isn't correct either. Here is the correct listing:

1. Nursing
3. Civil Engineering
4. Mechanical Engineering
5. Computer Science
7. Business Administration
8. Physics
9. Actuarial Mathematics
10. Finance

Note that these are the degrees that are yielding the highest salaries. One notable occupation that isn't listed that would blow all of these away in lifetime income is an airline pilot. Not only that, but the major airlines are gradually loosening up the previous requirement for a four-year degree. Now, it is in the 'preferred' category of pilot requirements for just about all of the majors except Delta.

Greg

If you go to the very last page, they list them all in the order that the OP has them in, not sure why there's inconsistency between the two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see the shift that we are starting to see of engineers who went into it for the money vs those who were pure geeks and went into it of interest (and I say geek as an incredible compliment- I love the geeks I work with and geeking out with on really cool concepts).

When I was in engineering school it was the part of campus everyone avoided unless they had a reason to be there. Now “I’m an engineer” is a pick up line. Big shift.
Quote Reply
Re: Best College Majors 2017 [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
It will be interesting to see the shift that we are starting to see of engineers who went into it for the money vs those who were pure geeks and went into it of interest (and I say geek as an incredible compliment- I love the geeks I work with and geeking out with on really cool concepts).

When I was in engineering school it was the part of campus everyone avoided unless they had a reason to be there. Now “I’m an engineer” is a pick up line. Big shift.
I’m currently a freshman, going into Mech Eng. i’m going in because i’m first grade I said, “I want to be an engineer.” And over the years, I’ve only got more and more interested in it.

I was at an appointment with my academic advisor the other day to make my schedule for next quarter, and she says, “you’re going I get your masters right away though right? And go into teaching? That’s where the real money is at in engineering.”

Um... no. Even if that’s where the real money is (which I don’t believe it is, after talking to several employed engineers who are also college profs), i’m going into engineering to do engineering. If I wanted to be a teacher I’d get a teaching degree.

Maybe one day when i’m 60 and retire from engineering, sure I’ll go teach a class or two. But that isn’t the reason i’m getting a BS Mech Eng...
Quote Reply
Re: Best College Majors 2017 [Blee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm going with the list that Greg posted as it has my major listed--good old Business Administration. Good to hear that is still considered a solid choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see Women's Studies on that list In fact, I don't see any Liberal Arts degrees listed. What are so many Millennials going to do?
Quote Reply
Re: Best College Majors 2017 [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
I’m currently a freshman, going into Mech Eng. i’m going in because i’m first grade I said, “I want to be an engineer.” And over the years, I’ve only got more and more interested in it.

I was at an appointment with my academic advisor the other day to make my schedule for next quarter, and she says, “you’re going I get your masters right away though right? And go into teaching? That’s where the real money is at in engineering.”

Um... no. Even if that’s where the real money is (which I don’t believe it is, after talking to several employed engineers who are also college profs), i’m going into engineering to do engineering. If I wanted to be a teacher I’d get a teaching degree.

Maybe one day when i’m 60 and retire from engineering, sure I’ll go teach a class or two. But that isn’t the reason i’m getting a BS Mech Eng...

Congratulations on knowing what you want to do and working towards that goal. You are a step ahead of most of your peers.

I have a close friend from high school who was valedictorian. He knew that he wanted to go into mechanical engineering and went to Georgia Tech, and eventually got his PHD fro Cal Tech (I believe). He worked for Lawrence Livermore Labs out of college, and eventually helped start a company that produces vascular stents. He is doing quite well for himself (and heart patients worldwide).

Best of luck to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

I run a mechanical contracting company. I can assure you the money is not in teaching, especially if you can carry on a conversation with a customer.

I urge you to get an internship; and to utilize the academic advisors to help get you out of college, not to provide you with career advice. Leave that to mentors in the corporate world
Quote Reply
Re: Best College Majors 2017 [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Well, I'm going with the list that Greg posted as it has my major listed--good old Business Administration. Good to hear that is still considered a solid choice.

BA is just a good old vanilla degree that proves you are teachable and I was surprised to see it on the list. That was my undergraduate major, but I went on years later and got an MBA and an advanced graduate degree in Finance. However, those are just the tools you earn. It's up to you to use them. I have told my kids time and time again that you will never really be 'well off' until you get paid for what you know, not what you do. Being a little lucky along the way helps as well as some networking. I was in my 40's before I started making real money and wondered if my ship would ever come in. It did.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
Last edited by: gregtryin: Nov 17, 17 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

An Engineering undergraduate degree with an MBA is a killer combination out in the real world. Lot of work, though. Finish the MBA in your mid thirties, that's when it will do you the most good. You'll have some seasoning and a knowledge base that is very rare.

Cash big checks, retire at 55 or so.

Your welcome,
Greg

Quote Reply
Re: Best College Majors 2017 [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

I came out of school as a BSME. Never used it.

Is hard for me to imagine anyone going into engineering primarily "for the money". We had 90% attrition. 90%! I said goodbye to almost my every buddy in the engineering dept. It was a brutal slog. Interesting sure, but no picnic.

We couldn't get a date to save our lives. The chicks hung around at the "School of Business" building.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

I would think a top engineer would be much like a top computer resource. I know I spend nearly half my time training others. Not in a classroom, but helping them figure out how to solve problems and learn new techniques.
Quote Reply
Re: Best College Majors 2017 [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
I don't see Women's Studies on that list In fact, I don't see any Liberal Arts degrees listed. What are so many Millennials going to do?

Make my coffee.

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply