Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1x and Crank Spider???
Quote | Reply
Can anyone help me understand what SRAM told me:

No, we do not have plans for a Red level 1x, as the spider needed for a 1x system would make the crank essentially the same as the Force level.

The reason I ask this forum is I am planning on building a 1x build using a 110 BCD Quarq D-zero crank/powermeter. I cannot think of any reason why it couldn't be used for a 1x build by putting a 1x designed 50t chainring on it, but the SRAM response to my question gives me pause. Any thoughts y'all?

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 1x and Crank Spider??? [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got the D-Zero crank and put a 52 NW chainring on it with no issues. Not sure what they really meant but maybe the chainrings are different in the Red vs. NW? But I wouldn't be worried about things not working if that is your concern.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Short answer: Put the SRAM 1x ring on your Quarq)

You or somebody at SRAM is misinterpreting things a little. 1x vs 2x doesn't apply here. Adding a power meter to a SRAM crank (in this case) requires removing the spider and putting a different one on. The RED cranks have a non-removable spider which is why they are so much lighter (and supposedly stiffer) than the next level Force crank. The RED cranks are similar to a Shimano crank where the chainrings come off, but not the spider. The Force, Rival and Apex cranks are similar to a Rotor crank where the spider comes off and can be replaced with a different size spider or a power meter like a Power2Max.

There is no such thing as a 1x SRAM crank. The Force 1 crank is the same thing as the Force 22 crank except for the logo. Same thing with Rival and Apex. SRAM machines their 1x rings out of a thicker piece of aluminum so they can offset the chainring by 6mm. That way you can put a SRAM 1x chainring on any ol' 2x crank and have the chainring sitting in the same place (chainline) as you would with a 1x specific crank and typical 1x ring. SRAM's 1x chainrings are the only thing 1x specific. It's one reason you see them on non-SRAM cranks so often; they make a better chainline with no extra modifications.

For further discussion, you could look at Rotor as an example. They have several 1x chainrings now, but none of them are 'offset' like the SRAM ring. If you following the Rotor rulebook to get 'proper' chainline, you would buy the 1x specific spider ($$$) and replace your current one. Additionally, they use super special chainring bolts for that 1x specific spider ($$$) that nobody else makes. You're now spending $75 to move your new chainring over a few mm on top of the cost of the new chainring (assuming you already have the Rotor removal tool). If you just bought the SRAM chainring, your only additional cost would be shorter chainring bolts that are found for $10-15 at any LBS. That also makes it easier to run a power meter because the SRAM rings would bolt on to any 2x specific power meter. I use a 50t SRAM 1x ring on a Power2Max.

Superstar also makes offset rings and several of the newer 1x 4 bolt Shimano rings are offset too.
Last edited by: dangle: Nov 17, 17 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: 1x and Crank Spider??? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, thst is what i thought, but wasn't sure based on their answer, thank you for all the informative detail!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that just seems like a super weird answer. Good luck with your build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was lucky enough to buy a SRAM 50t 1x chainring with bolts on eBay. So, I am all set on that end, but it was the big crankset/power meter purchase I wanted to make darn sure of. Thanks again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Yeah, that just seems like a super weird answer.

Maybe, maybe not. We don't know what the actual question was.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply