Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Aero Wheels for Felt IA16
Quote | Reply
Hey guys/gals. Sorry for rehashing this thread again but in need of guidance on my pending aero wheel purchase and not quite finding the exact answer to my question in other threads.

I've narrowed my aero wheel choices down to a USED set of Zipp 808 NSWs or a NEW set of HED Jet 9 Blacks.

Used Zipp 808s NSW set from a very reputable bike shop for $2280 after discount (about 500-1000 miles fully inspected, year warranty)

New HED Jet 9 Black set for $1469 after discount (standard 2 year warranty)

It's not so much about the budget. My question is am I really getting $800 more worth of speed with the 808s over the HED 9s? This is my first purchase of aero wheels so want to get the most bang for my buck. I own a Felt IA16 if that matters.

Or should I wait until the 2018 wheels are released?!

Any insight the many experts in this forum can provide would be super helpful. Thanks all!!
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Wheels for Felt IA16 [jpc1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpc1982 wrote:
My question is am I really getting $800 more worth of speed with the 808s over the HED 9s?

Short answer is no, over the course of an ironman they are likely going to be separated by seconds.

A couple of things to think about. From everything I've read, the NSW's brake very well for a carbon clincher however the Jet Black series is will be head and shoulders above them in terms of modulation and stopping power. Second, how big are you and how is your confidence handling your bike in crosswinds? And do you anticipat riding them in windy conditions very often? A 90 mm rim up front can be a lot to handle for some people. Switching to a Hed Jet 6 up front will likely only cost you a handful of seconds over an ironman but could make handling it easier.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Wheels for Felt IA16 [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Matt. I'm 5'10" 170lbs. I've ridden rented 808s in several races this year with winds up to 20mph and had no issues with stability. Feel pretty comfortable with them. Will be riding primarily in TX so wind will always be a factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you getting $900 more speed with the NSWs? No, definitely not. Don’t get me wrong, the 808 NSWs are *really* nice wheels but the Jet 9 Blacks are also *really* nice wheels. The only thing I’ll give the Zipps over the HEDs is that they’re easier to install tires on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be running a disc wheel on the back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MyBikeShop.com has new Hed Jet 9 blacks for 1299 right now, go with those.
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Wheels for Felt IA16 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a good point and one I’ve thought about. Idea behind a 808/9 rear wheel is to have a rear wheel for all races. Ultimately I was thinking rolling with a H3 plus disc for races where it makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read and researched all I could find for this, and ditto everyone else's answers. There is likely no discernable difference between the two. In fact, it is possible the Zipps are slower. IIRC, the NSW shape is the same as the Firecrest, which has been the punching bag of "we're better" claims by competitors for several years. Zipp NSW wheels have big sex appeal, but the performance RoI is 0 to negative. Maybe the 858 wheels are faster, but maybe not.

IMHO, between these two choices at those prices, the HEDs are a no-brainer.

Edit: FYI, I have an IA16, and I chose the Flo 60/90 wheels for $1,150. I wish I bought a 90/disc combo, and I will be upgrading to a disc soon. I am considering jumping to the HED wheels with the aluminum brakes. I do not have any issues with my CC Flo braking, but I have only ridden in excellent conditions to date. The aluminum would make swapping to my road bike easier without messing with brake pads.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Nov 17, 17 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Wheels for Felt IA16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the Hed wheels and use the spare cash on a powermeter and or smart trainer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only race that I know of that doesn't allow a disc wheel is Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to this you’ll get forward thrust at certain Yaw angles, of course tire choice come into play
https://docs.google.com/...ANzt8/htmlview#gid=0

This should drive your decision if that’s your budget.
Last edited by: mike s: Nov 17, 17 15:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpc1982 wrote:
Ultimately I was thinking rolling with a H3 plus disc for races where it makes sense.

I've been rolling on a Hed3 and Disc for a long time. I don't think anyone is beating me because of my wheels!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Wheels for Felt IA16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed 3 + Disk has been my setup too. I also occasionally rode a double HED 3 setup. Didnt really notice much difference. Nice wheel choice.

https://retirement944.wordpress.com/
Last edited by: lakesroadsheep: Nov 21, 17 16:34
Quote Reply