Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Fastest Production Car Ever Made? 0-60 in 1.9s [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends a lot where you live (gas prices, government subsidies for EVs, etc) but I think in many cases electric is already more economic than gas for people who either don't make long journeys or who have 2 cars with the second one being gas for the longer journeys. That covers a big enough chunk of the market to see some huge growth in EVs over the next few years. Question is really whether there will ever be sufficient improvements in range and/or charging time for EVs to become feasible for doing >300 mile trips on a regular basis. If not then either a significant chunk of the market will stay on gas or something like hydrogen will have to come along and take it's place.
Quote Reply
Re: The Fastest Production Car Ever Made? 0-60 in 1.9s [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did you move

My wife did not want a raptor. Thought it looked ridiculous

Where did you end up living. My mates in emirates hills.

I will get something. It will take a lot to get the french to move from diesel

Thr cost premium for EV or even small hybrids is so great i dont think i'd ever see a saving given my mileage. Its probably 5 years of petrol before i start saving
Quote Reply
Re: The Fastest Production Car Ever Made? 0-60 in 1.9s [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moved a couple of months ago, ended up in Jumeirah, close to the beach and a nice little community with shared pool and gym and some families with similar aged kids which is cool.

My wife thinks the Raptor looks ridiculous as well but she has her own car so she's humouring me! The kids love it, and it's great for family road trips to just be able to chuck everything in the back.

I crunched some numbers on a Tesla compared to equivalent big performance saloons (5 series, E class, A6) a while back, and was surprised. Not just fuel costs but also lower tax, lower servicing and lower devaluation (not sure how much this is simply down to lack of supply for the Tesla and whether it applies to other EVs or hybrids). All adds up in the long run. There's also a reason why so many taxi drivers in London are driving Priuses - the total cost of ownership per mile is one of the lowest out there.
Quote Reply
Re: The Fastest Production Car Ever Made? 0-60 in 1.9s [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

a) If you're going to drive a car out of a semi (6:55), you have to BACK out while the truck is moving.
b) Black car. Red LED in front. Duh.
c) Totally should've paid the Hoff to do that presentation.

They didn't get Hoff, but they are playing this up as far as they can:
Quote:
Not saying the next gen Roadster special upgrade package *will* definitely enable it to fly short hops, but maybe …

Certainly possible. Just a question of safety. Rocket tech applied to a car opens up revolutionary possibilities.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/932322853009080320
Quote Reply
Re: The Fastest Production Car Ever Made? 0-60 in 1.9s [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
My money is on Hydrogen.
Not gunna happen...and its just plain dumb.
Not gunna happen due to the very small numbers that may get produced, so infrastructure will always be lacking
And just plain dumb when you consider the inefficiencies of splitting water with...you guessed it!...electricity, and the burning it to produce power.
Much more efficient to simply use the power in the form of electricity straight up.

Toyota says that it has made huge inroads in solid state batteries and plan to release their EV around the mid 2020's.
Higher energy density and way faster charging times (Fisker has apparently filed patents for a solid state battery that can charge in a minute!)
Quote Reply
Re: The Fastest Production Car Ever Made? 0-60 in 1.9s [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Fisker was sexy. Too bad it had a spontaneous combustion issue.

I wonder how the new Karma brand will do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next