Quote Reply
Re: IM Dublin 70.3 2018 info [zaboaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM 70.3 DĂșn Laoghaire replaces Dublin on 70.3 European calendar
https://triathlonworld.com/...pean-calendar-143625

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, as per the previous poster, the Dublin route has changed and been re-named.
It's now IM70.3 DĂșn Laoghaire.
DĂșn Laoghaire is a seafront town on Dublin Bay just a few kilometers southeast of Dublin city centre. The race started there in previous years but finished in Phoenix Park west of the city.

I think the swim is in the same place as always. The bike route which used to go through the city center and then out into kinda flat and boring countryside is now going where I think it should have been all along - the Dublin-Wicklow mountains. It goes up to Sally Gap which is right around 500m above sea level so there's a bit of climbing on this new route!

The run, which used to be in the Phoenix Park just west of Dublin city, is now near the swim along the seafront in DĂșn Laoghaire.I quite liked the run in Phoenix Park but logistically it wasn't great having T1 and T2 about 16km apart. I think the new format will be an improvement, especially the bike leg, which will be a much more interesting profile and some great scenery up around Sally Gap and Djouce.

I currently live about 5km from Phoenix Park so that was handy for me. But if I was travelling to this race, I'd much prefer this new incarnation!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Dublin 70.3 2018 info [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 that the swim looks to be in the same place as before. Not sure why they are renaming it to be honest. I was born around there (not on the pier) but still have trouble spelling it!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Dublin 70.3 2018 info [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it's not like IM70.3 Dublin would be misleading. It's not going through the city centre anymore but it's still a Dublin race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Dublin 70.3 2018 info [jay2u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and FYI/fwiw for those coming in:
Dun Laoghaire is roughly pronounced "done leery"; Dun Laoghaire is in Dublin.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Dublin 70.3 2018 info [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any insights into the bike course? This looks pretty hilly now with about ~4500ft of climbing.

Thanks! Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The old course was a pain in the arse for spectators, this new one sounds alot better.

Could never understand why it didn’t venture into the Wicklows, raced them in the Credit Union Junior Tour & Ras. Will make for a better race.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: IM Dublin 70.3 2018 info [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
Any insights into the bike course? This looks pretty hilly now with about ~4500ft of climbing.

Thanks! Chris
It's now the sort of bike course they should have used from the start. The Wicklow mountains are great for cycling. The previous course was designed to be fast and to go through the city, but it was pretty boring IMO. The wicklow moutains are great for a sportive but I think the route they've picked will also make for a good challenging tri bike leg.
It won't be terribly fast but it's a good course.
There's one or two spots, particularly the descent from Djouce where some care will be needed (that's about 3km with plenty -10 to -13% with some sweeping bends) and the climbs will be reasonably demanding. But there's nothing super steep that I can remember on that route. Probably a max of about 10-12% for short sections.
The scenery up around Sally Gap and Djouce is beautiful if you're able to appreciate it mid race.
Quote Reply