Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Should I feel bad?

No.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, now I feel better. I'll go and work on a friggin ultra large crude carrier and if we spill some...

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you spill some it’ll get cleaned up.

Unless it’s not in American waters.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Lazy Ben wrote:
Pretty sure we had the technology for wind powered cargo ships quite some time ago...

How’s that working out?

It worked fairly well until those SOBs in greedy corporations wanted to make more money much faster and the oil industry was also greedy SOBs so they built biiiig engines for biiiig ships owned by greedy SOB ship owners who wanted to make money...And I worked on biiig ships, powered by biiiig engines using tons of fuel every day. Should I feel bad?

Only if you used bunker fuel
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
They could have framed it as an equivalent to 11 average sized home swimming pools. See, boys, that's political marketing genius. Nobody would have batted an eye at 11 swimming pools worth of oil. But 210,000 gallons or 3900 barrels is just asking for people to be pissed off.

trail wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:
Funny how 210,000 gallons sounds so much worse than 3900 barrels. The Exxon Valdez spilled 260,000 bbl's.

210,000 gallons does sound pretty bad, doesn't it?

Or the could have said 1/3rd of an olympic pool sized pool, which would also be accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:
Funny how 210,000 gallons sounds so much worse than 3900 barrels. The Exxon Valdez spilled 260,000 bbl's.

210k gallons isn’t really that much. Pretty sure the pool I swim Masters in has more water than that.

And when you think about it the price of oil right now is just under $60 per bbl.

That’s only $234,000 they lost.

They probably pay that out in sexual harassment claims every quarter.

Et tu, Duffy? I'm amazed that a guy who claims to know so much about the oil industry doesn't know how many gallons are in a barrel.

I'll give you some hints:

1) It wasn't a 210,000 gallon spill. It was a 5,000 barrel spill.

2) Life, the universe, and everything.

3) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI I did my calculation based on a 205-210 litre bbl which is about 55 US gallons. Most of the barrel quantities we sell at work are in that size range. Eg, Spray 9 is 205 litres OTOH the touchless car wash soap is a 1/2 bbl and 105 litres.

Either way, the spill isn't the ecological disaster that some in the media are playing it out to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Duffy wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

210k gallons isn’t really that much. Pretty sure the pool I swim Masters in has more water than that.

And when you think about it the price of oil right now is just under $60 per bbl.

Et tu, Duffy? I'm amazed that a guy who claims to know so much about the oil industry doesn't know how many gallons are in a barrel.

I'll give you some hints:

1) It wasn't a 210,000 gallon spill. It was a 5,000 barrel spill.

2) Life, the universe, and everything.

3) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)

A barrel is 42 gallons.

The barrel unit isn’t my issue, math is my issue. I just took RR’s 3,900 number as is without verfying it mathematically.

Oops.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Quite a coincidence it occurs 1 week before a key decision for K2.

That was my first thought too.

Should be easy to investigate. The pipe is underground. Wouldn't there be some obvious signs the pipe had been compromised?
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except that pipelines aren't entirely underground. They have risers, pumping stations, pig traps all need to accessible above ground.

ETA Pipeline integrity is becoming big business, the level of technology being applied is quite impressive. Smart pigs are sent from station to another looking for weak spots. One of the pipeline companies we deal with has moved away from building new infrastructure and is beginning to focus on integrity work. They've been busy through the downturn while another company which chose to stick with infrastructure is definitely not as profitable as it once was.
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The state tree is a telephone pole, thank you very much.

This happened just outside my wife's home town. Ecologically, the farmers have fucked the land up so bad around there it doesn't matter.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greenpeace and sabotage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

Ba-da-Bing! Well played.
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Greenpeace and sabotage?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6485854#p6485854

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
They could have framed it as an equivalent to 11 average sized home swimming pools. See, boys, that's political marketing genius. Nobody would have batted an eye at 11 swimming pools worth of oil. But 210,000 gallons or 3900 barrels is just asking for people to be pissed off.

trail wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

About 1/3 of an olympic swimming pool. Shoot, can't even fill a decent pool with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

trail wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

About 1/3 of an olympic swimming pool. Shoot, can't even fill a decent pool with it.

All wrong!!!!

It is enough oil to KILL AT LEAST 7,980,000 kittens.
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can hear it in the Mother Jones headlines now: “Keystone break has potential to kill 99,999,999,999,999 plankton! Trump remains careless.”

Velocibuddha wrote:
knewbike wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

trail wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

All wrong!!!!

It is enough oil to KILL AT LEAST 7,980,000 kittens.
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
drn92 wrote:
Solar and wind do not leak.

;)

drn92

Sun also doesn’t shine 24 hours and wind doesn’t blow 24/7. Until we can get reasonably priced utility scale battery systems we need fossil fuels. PETA wouldn’t approve of all the large gerbil wheels we’d need otherwise.

How big are those fucking gerbils?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Keystone Pipeline breaks... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Duffy wrote:
I don’t see any actual cargo on those ships. Like most eco-stuff it seems to be a scam :)

Those are libtard cargo ships. We've got illegals hidden down in the cargo hold. Including a fresh batch of young girls for the 'Bama GOP.

Well, if they’re from the Philippines and they are at least 12 years old.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply

Prev Next