Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Running Jacket for Dog?
Quote | Reply
Suggestions welcome:

Old dog was a thick-furred, leisure-loving GSD who didn't want to run and never got cold anyway.

New dog is a 50-lb, hyper, pit-terrier-mystery mix with very little fur, and now I have to get the dog dressed to go out in the cold and wind.

I took her running 4 miles in the sweater shown below and she chafed around the front legs. Most of the jackets I see at pet stores seem to be pretty flimsy or just not for a dog moving too much.

Quote Reply
Re: Best Running Jacket for Dog? [BartLongacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on the IL/WI border and run through the winter with my 55lb lab mix with very short fur and fairly lean. My vet (also an ST'er) didn't seem to think a jacket/sweater was necessary (please correct me if I'm wrong doc), but did give me some good tips to look for to see if the dog gets too cold. Lifting paws/not keeping all four on the ground and licking the lips while looking nervous/unhappy are the only two I remember though. I don't know enough about different breeds to know if yours may be more susceptible to the cold.

That dog is bonkers about running in the cold and seems to do okay with just about anything if he is moving. Even single digit windchill for shorter (30 minutes?) runs weren't an issue. We would go on multi hour jog/hikes in fresh snow and he wouldn't want to get in the car after. Where are you located? Anywhere crazy cold?

Visibility has been the biggest thing. He's black and the cars that see me and my several blinky lights and headlamp may only give me a couple feet of passing room which is no bueno when the dog is on a 3-4ft leash. I had attached a couple safety lights and a bike taillight to his running harness in the past, but wasn't super happy since they usually pointed straight up or straight down. I recently bought the Noxgear Lighthound and it's been the best solution so far. It's really silly how visible he is now. The two of us look stupid, but we're seen. I had an older lady pull over and get out of her car to thank me earlier this week. Somebody hit her dog while they were walking in the dark and she was nearly in tears talking to me.

Sorry to derail this so much. I'm still a little shaken by that lady from Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have the Ruffwear soft shell jackets for our pups and they’re awesome - kind of a spandex bottom that hugs close and allows for freedom of movement/expansion around the chest and then solid warmth/water protection on top. Great for running or just for any time we plan on being out in the cold for a while. As a bonus, it looks way cooler than most of the goofy dog sweaters you typically find - since most people just want to dress their dog up.

Re: Best Running Jacket for Dog? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I'm on the IL/WI border and run through the winter with my 55lb lab mix with very short fur and fairly lean. My vet (also an ST'er) didn't seem to think a jacket/sweater was necessary (please correct me if I'm wrong doc), but did give me some good tips to look for to see if the dog gets too cold. Lifting paws/not keeping all four on the ground and licking the lips while looking nervous/unhappy are the only two I remember though. I don't know enough about different breeds to know if yours may be more susceptible to the cold.

That dog is bonkers about running in the cold and seems to do okay with just about anything if he is moving. Even single digit windchill for shorter (30 minutes?) runs weren't an issue. We would go on multi hour jog/hikes in fresh snow and he wouldn't want to get in the car after. Where are you located? Anywhere crazy cold?

Visibility has been the biggest thing. He's black and the cars that see me and my several blinky lights and headlamp may only give me a couple feet of passing room which is no bueno when the dog is on a 3-4ft leash. I had attached a couple safety lights and a bike taillight to his running harness in the past, but wasn't super happy since they usually pointed straight up or straight down. I recently bought the Noxgear Lighthound and it's been the best solution so far. It's really silly how visible he is now. The two of us look stupid, but we're seen. I had an older lady pull over and get out of her car to thank me earlier this week. Somebody hit her dog while they were walking in the dark and she was nearly in tears talking to me.

Sorry to derail this so much. I'm still a little shaken by that lady from Monday.

We're just south of you, in Chicago proper---so not crazy cold, but your point about visibility is taken to heart, believe me.

She is not a big fan of the cold, especially when expected to sit for stoplights. Haven't seen her lifting her paws out of discomfort, but I've seen her shiver after coming in out of the rain. She's super lean, and you can see her skin through the fur. I guess until I know otherwise, I think I'll try to err on the side of keeping her warm/dry.

The Ruffwear jackets mentioned by IknowEverything look good---no buckles, lightweight, rain proof.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BartLongacre wrote:
We're just south of you, in Chicago proper---so not crazy cold, but your point about visibility is taken to heart, believe me.

She is not a big fan of the cold, especially when expected to sit for stoplights. Haven't seen her lifting her paws out of discomfort, but I've seen her shiver after coming in out of the rain. She's super lean, and you can see her skin through the fur. I guess until I know otherwise, I think I'll try to err on the side of keeping her warm/dry.

The Ruffwear jackets mentioned by IknowEverything look good---no buckles, lightweight, rain proof.

Ah, getting wet and/or obviously being cold certainly changes things. That Ruffwear jacket does look good. They make a really nice waist leash and running harness too. Nice to meet other semi-locals on ST. I work for UIC, but I'm located over in Rockford.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took my 10 month old Pudelpointer from California to Montana bird hunting a week and a half ago. Dove right into single digit temps. I had to get him a jacket and luckily found the "dog chore coat" from Carhartt it seemed to work pretty good, even though it was a little on the big side. I also used a bright orange/yellow shell that covered his chest. Even though he was running hard, I knew he'd get cold without a jacket. I'd love to hear suggestions for how to help keep his "nuts" protected (I'm serious).

http://www.carhartt.com/...rtt-accessories-pets

Dogs are: MANS BEST FRIEND!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Best Running Jacket for Dog? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I Use this coat also. 39.99 on amazon. I’m too lazy to link

manofthewoods wrote:
I took my 10 month old Pudelpointer from California to Montana bird hunting a week and a half ago. Dove right into single digit temps. I had to get him a jacket and luckily found the "dog chore coat" from Carhartt it seemed to work pretty good, even though it was a little on the big side. I also used a bright orange/yellow shell that covered his chest. Even though he was running hard, I knew he'd get cold without a jacket. I'd love to hear suggestions for how to help keep his "nuts" protected (I'm serious).

http://www.carhartt.com/...rtt-accessories-pets

Dogs are: MANS BEST FRIEND!
Quote Reply