Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Future of scandal
Quote | Reply
In case anyone has missed it, there have been a lot of scandals recently, many of the sexual harrassmanet and assault variety.

Several of the people being crucified right now are done so based simply off the words of one or more people. I'm not arguing anyone's credibility. That's not my point.

Al Franken's new Facebook profile pic is not flattering and pretty damning.

People are already crazy good at photoshop.

There are programs that can use your voice to say anything it wants. Only a very limited sample of your voice is needed.

There are programs than can take your handwriting and write whatever it wants.

People would long be buried (metaphorically) before it was realized the evidence against them was totally fabricated. The outrage society is already being used for manipulation. I see things taking a turn for the worse, especially based on bogus evidence which appears to be much more substantial than what is needed now. Going to be so hard to separate reality from fiction.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Future of scandal [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree and think that it is ripe for abuse. If people will commit crimes to gain more power, it isn't a stretch to think that they would commit crimes to keep those they oppose from gaining power. I'm sure many will find a way to rationalize it.

Keeping it just in politics - I see no differences across the aisle when it comes to unethical behavior. I used to think that the Republicans were the good guys. They aren't. Neither are the Democrats. I am sure there are a few good people in national level politics - but I trust none of them. I would love to see all of them thrown out of office. There isn't much baby left in the bathwater - so throw it all out and start over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you mention, with photo-shopping and particularly the fact that the accused is deemed guilty before he has any chance to defend himself, it is going to be a problem that will get worse. It's really easy to see how this can be used against anyone you want to blackmail or simply don't like and want to punish for one reason or another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scandal has no future. Partisanship will crush it.

I'm not arguing anyone's credibility. That's not my point.

It sort of seems like it is your point- much of your post is about the various ways in which evidence can be fabricated. Which theoretically is worrisome, but so far, only theoretically.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Future of scandal [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Scandal has no future. Partisanship will crush it.

I'm not arguing anyone's credibility. That's not my point.

It sort of seems like it is your point- much of your post is about the various ways in which evidence can be fabricated. Which theoretically is worrisome, but so far, only theoretically.

You made my point by refuting it. I love when that happens. Future = theoretical.

One the biggest reasons our scandal culture exists IS because of partisanship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What was that you were saying about proving a point by refuting it? ;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Future of scandal [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not surprise me if small unobtrusive personal recording devices and implants to record your location via GPS become common just for the reasons you cite. The future is all about cya if you're vulnerable at all.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except no one has been crucified on one person's words. And Several people's words are what is known as evidence.

And the people really going down have contemporaneous disclosures to others, yearbooks, pictures, etc. as corroborating evidence. Is it possible someone gets caught up unfairly? Sure. But for the most part I don't think the word of one person won't be taken as gospel in the future any more than it is now.

I actually think the opposite will happen. There are so many of these going around because they have been held back for years that some will be lost in the jumble.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well this thread was disappointing. I got excited thinking the band was back together again.

Quote Reply
Re: Future of scandal [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

What was that you were saying about proving a point by refuting it? ;)

Guess I'm going to need to spell it out for me. Are you saying partisanship will crush it because we will evolve to be more bi-partisan? I took it to mean partisanship will get worse. Which of course would make the scandal culture follow along. I'm obviously missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: Future of scandal [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or this Scandal.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Nov 16, 17 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: Future of scandal [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy in the picture is clearly groping Patty's boob in the picture. His thumb is getting some major side-boob action.

So maybe this is on-topic after all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thing technology can weed out the photoshopped pics, the altered recordings, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Future of scandal [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Except no one has been crucified on one person's words. And Several people's words are what is known as evidence.

And the people really going down have contemporaneous disclosures to others, yearbooks, pictures, etc. as corroborating evidence. Is it possible someone gets caught up unfairly? Sure. But for the most part I don't think the word of one person won't be taken as gospel in the future any more than it is now.

I actually think the opposite will happen. There are so many of these going around because they have been held back for years that some will be lost in the jumble.

I am beginning to feel like my post wasnt stated as well as I had intended.

Several people's words are known as evidence? Maybe used as evidence, but we need to be careful about instantly incriminating someone based on that.

I told you, I'm not arguing about any accusations that have been in the news.

Person shows up with a phone conversation with j p o asking why they committing xyz heinous act and they have digitally altered j p o's voice to admit to it. Same person shows a time stamped security camera video of j p o committing said act. You are saying that person isn't going to be taken seriously? That would take down just about anyone of notoriety. Maybe I have the movie the "the Game" on my mind from the underrated movie thread.

Completely agree that some will be lost in the jumble, but certainly no high profile cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
j p o wrote:

Several people's words are known as evidence? Maybe used as evidence, but we need to be careful about instantly incriminating someone based on that.

I told you, I'm not arguing about any accusations that have been in the news.

Person shows up with a phone conversation with j p o asking why they committing xyz heinous act and they have digitally altered j p o's voice to admit to it. Same person shows a time stamped security camera video of j p o committing said act. You are saying that person isn't going to be taken seriously? That would take down just about anyone of notoriety. Maybe I have the movie the "the Game" on my mind from the underrated movie thread.

Completely agree that some will be lost in the jumble, but certainly no high profile cases.

But those get weeded out pretty quickly. Think Dan Rather and the Bush National Guard papers. Not only did that get found out, but it essentially killed the whole question of the weirdness going on with his Guard duties.

As someone else pointed out, faked recording,pictures, videos, etc. can be detected. Once it is, the accuser loses all credibility. If they jacked with the Roy Moore yearbook, that accuser will not be listened to and in some cases would make the whole thing fall apart.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I thought it was a darn good post.

But I'd rather discuss Patti Smyth. I saw her perform (maybe with Scandal, I don't recall) around 1980-81 in south Staten Island in a big club just across the river form NJ. I don't recall the name of the club. I seem to recall that we'd go there because the drinking age was 18 in NY and 19 in NJ.

My recollection is fuzzy except I very clearly being in a Cadillac in the parking lot of that club one time with a certain girl.

Funny that the girls I don't forget, even from 40 years ago. In fact, I think I can remember every girl I ever made out with. Anyone else like that?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Future of scandal [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes there are so many now it is hard to know which get traction and which do not. Or at which point the public gets bored with it all and gets distracted by the next thing.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Future of scandal [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And there's a hand very near or on the crotch - let's send it to the judges...BLeP? Can we get a ruling?
Quote Reply