Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Escape From Elcatraz still A must do TRi?
Quote | Reply
This race used to be on my to do list, but then they really hiked the price and I think management changed and dates changed one year due to America's Cup. Haven't paid much attention recently but wondering if this is still a "To-Do" race?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Escape From Elcatraz still A must do TRi? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm biased having done it twice that I can say no, simply based on the price. If it was still relatively reasonable, then yes.

The swim - You can do this swim in any number of variations in multiple other races and events. Let's face it, this is really the main iconic attraction of this race.

The bike - Overrated and not great, IMO. Other than the part near the park, it's basically riding crowded urban SF streets. And again IMO dangerous in sections near the Legion of Honor.

The run - I really enjoyed the run. But again can do similar runs and of course do it outside the race. The other iconic attraction of this race is running along Baker Beach with the GG Bridge in the distance and of course the sand ladder. Not worth $750 though

Yeah, it's a well run race, and you do get a big event feel from doing it, but I could not justify it (on top of travel and staying in a very expensive city) at the current price, it'd be near a $3K weekend for two of us, and that's jut coming up from LA.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 16, 17 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Is Escape From Elcatraz still A must do TRi? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, $750 is a STEEP fee for an intermediate distance. I always wanted to do Alcatraz but no way I pay that for it. However, I would definitely consider joining a charity team. Even if I donate the $750 then raise the other $1250 that would be a much better way to spend the money IMO. I raced my first triathlon for Save the Children in Chicago and loved the experience. I really bonded with the sport and the people from Save the Children were so passionate and wonderful. So, I recommend if someone really wants to do Alcatraz pick a worthy charity to support.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you can afford it, absolutely yes.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never interested me, and I live near by

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 8 of these... including last year with the cancelled swim (so 7 2/3?)

And I will keep going back (and I am an east coaster)

I think the bike is really interesting. There are very few courses that I know of that are challenging, between the technical turns and the power demands to get through it fast... its awesome.

And everyone who said its a $3k race is probably right (after travel, airfare, food , etc)... but what big race isn't? when the race was 400 dollars it was stlil a 2700 dollar race from the east coast.

And here's the thing that it comes to for me... Im a short course person... I can raise Alactraz and be happy the entire way through... Don't get me wrong, it hurts... but you can just go and be happy and smile and look around and be like "This is course is rediculous".

People pay the same price for an Ironman... Yeah, an Ironman is longer... but I'll bet a higher percentage of people smile thier way through Alcatraz vs an Ironman... To me thats totally worth something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. It's ridiculously expensive. Seriously, you can swim Alcatraz for < $200 with the local groups like https://waterworldswim.com/ and http://www.odysseyopenwater.com/. Aside from that, you're paying for an 18 mile bike ride. 18 miles!

Ok, rant over. I'm still a little bitter from last year.... $800+ after fees for a duathlon was just a little stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Escape From Elcatraz still A must do TRi? [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daswafford wrote:
$800+ after fees for a duathlon was just a little stupid.

This is the exact reason I'm so happy I skipped it last year and makes me so tentative to do it any year to come... reg fee is ridiculous, let alone the travel and so on...

...but all that being said I still have an illogical itch to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really well run , iconic race. I say yes. The swim is epic....
Quote Reply