Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Illiac Artery Endofibrosis sufferers - what things influence your onset?
Quote | Reply
For those with this affliction, are there certain actions, circumstances or conditions that influence the onset of the "wooden leg" feeling? Or specific things that influence the speed or severity of onset?

Love to hear about your experiences with things that contribute to (or mitigate) this symptom. Just as an example ... my experience has been
-it comes on pretty fast (at about 5-8min of LT work) during general heavy load periods of SBR or SB
-it comes on pretty fast in high heat/humidity (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless blood pressure is a contributor?)
-stretching hip flexors immediately pre-run seems to postpone onset, or lessen severity (again, this doesn't make a lot of sense about why ... but it does, all the same)

Others?
Quote Reply
Re: Illiac Artery Endofibrosis sufferers - what things influence your onset? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have it, but one of my most frequent training partners suffered from it for a while. She is near 100% after having surgery. If you suffer, you should look into that.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Illiac Artery Endofibrosis sufferers - what things influence your onset? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I Live in Canada, so Dr. Cherry in VA (who is the go-to guy for this) is out of the question. And the head of vascular surgery at the major hospital in town refuses to do it. So, it’s a management thing for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Illiac Artery Endofibrosis sufferers - what things influence your onset? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also in Canada. I feel like I may have some the symptoms, but I'm not even sure how I could go about getting a diagnosis. What path did you go for a diagnosis?

Mine had gotten so bad that pretty much anything brought it on, and it started so long ago I can't remember anything specific that triggered it or made it better. I know that's not helpful, but what I wanted to say is that there are surgeons in Canada doing the surgery. I know it's a big country and I don't have any idea how to find those surgeons, but I do know of some Canadians who had the surgery. It's not a "minor" problem that will only influence your cycling and running. I suppose there's a chance it won't get worse but my and others' experience was that it will continue to progress. Mine had gotten so bad that even walking was difficult. Do you have options for a second opinion or a consult with a different doc/surgeon?

I found this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4830654/. I know you are a long way from BC, but maybe it's worth a phone call to one of these docs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, it was easiest to bring on while running. Would consistently start between 4 and 5 minutes into my warmup. Before it got really bad, I could nurse my leg through a long warmup with lots of stopping to try and massage more blood into the limb, then be able to run okay once I was fully warmed up. Once it got really bad, it was just there all the time. When running, the big problem was in my calf, with some secondary issues in my quad.

Cycling, it would come on whenever I did anything remotely approaching intensity. When cycling, I only experienced it in my quads.

Swimming, I'd need to be going all out at very high intensity for more than 4 minutes before it would grab my calf and wouldn't let go.

I'm improved now following surgery by Dr. Lee but not all better.
Quote Reply