Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Underrated movies? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
mck414 wrote:
burnman wrote:
Strange Brew

One of my all time favorites. I've watched it countless times.

Add me to the list of hosers who feel Strange Brew is underrated. This movie was a staple of my teens along with Christmas Vacation and The Burbs.

That's my addition - The Burbs.

Red Rover, Red Rover, Now let Ray go over!
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Royale Tenenbaums. Wes Anderson flicks aren't everyone's cup of tea, but the random, carefully-curated, layered, uncomfortably awkward humor resonates with me. It's a movie I can watch every so often and not get bored because there's always something new I pick up on and laugh at. It's one of those, "I just need to not think about anything but this" movies I can veg out with.

But one of the most completely overlooked and underrated movies I've seen in the last couple of years is The Railway Man with Colin Firth & Nicole Kidman. The story of facing inner demons and the torments of PTSD and a man's journey to face them, balancing revenge and confusion, is awesome. Firth's performance was up there with his Oscar win and nomination, in my opinion. It's not a perfect movie, but it's a great story.

Scorsese's adaptation of the Shusaku Endo novel Silence didn't get the attention I thought it would. Like the novel, it feels as if it drags at times, slowly acting as a barge to dredge the story from layers of a different cultural perspective. That may be why the movie wasn't as well received as I'd have expected, but it's a necessary component of getting the reader or viewer to go to the place and connect to what Endo was trying to convey. It was beautifully shot and performed.

And I have to throw in Blazing Saddles. Sure, it was popular in the 80's, but I can't believe it's not still more quote-worthy today. It's too bad that our PC-rich culture has torn the "let's offend everyone so nobody is offended" humor of Mel Brooks from wider current acceptance. It's a truly brilliant film.
Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Nov 16, 17 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goon is one of my most fave sports movies ever. So damn funny and Doug Glatt is such a sweet, charming role for Sean William Scott. Totally a-typical for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on the Wes Anderson movie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:

And I have to throw in Blazing Saddles. Sure, it was popular in the 80's, but I can't believe it's not still more quote-worthy today. It's too bad that our PC-rich culture has torn the "let's offend everyone so nobody is offended" humor of Mel Brooks from wider current acceptance. It's a truly brilliant film.

I try to fit in, "scuse me while I whip this out" into daily conversation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:

I get tired of saying this but do you know anyone actually offended by Blazing Saddles?

It's like the whole PC/snowflake thing is taken for granted but I just wonder how often anyone comes into contact with it. Everyone I know who has seen Blazing Saddles thinks it's funny as hell, most people get satire, even in this day and age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tron
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Twelve Monkeys. Brad Pitt is over the top brilliant in it.

Agree. I also like the original french version (La Jetee) which was made with only still photos. Saw them together.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Zombieland

I love that movie! It is probably hard to get stuffy critics on board with comedy zombie movies.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s sad that Blazing Saddles will probably become irrelevant in the new over the top PC world we live in now. So many great scenes, remember watching it with my Dad and never seeing him laugh so hard during the camp fire scene.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's put it this way -- I don't know anyone who's actually seen Blazing Saddles and is offended by it. It isn't a movie that you can really humorously quote without offense today because it's not still watched widely and a ton of people don't know it or the nuances of the humor. If I start quoting the "I'll take your...but I do not want your Irish" line to someone who knows it, they're rolling; do the same to someone who doesn't know the movie or is offended by the fact that it was even in a movie after you explain it, and it's a recipe for problems.

ThisIsIt wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

I get tired of saying this but do you know anyone actually offended by Blazing Saddles?

It's like the whole PC/snowflake thing is taken for granted but I just wonder how often anyone comes into contact with it. Everyone I know who has seen Blazing Saddles thinks it's funny as hell, most people get satire, even in this day and age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 that I enjoyed but you didn't hear much about.

Resurrected (1989) is a movie about a British soldier left behind in the Falklands after the war. It was directed by Paul Greengrass of Bourne movie fame.

Max (2002) a story about Hitler before he came to power.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Nov 16, 17 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Twelve Monkeys. Brad Pitt is over the top brilliant in it.

Good call. I went in with low expectations and was shocked by how good it was. Part of the problem is that it isn't a movie you can watch part of on cable and appreciate it. It's strength is how it pieces the story together over the length of the movie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigger than the Sky
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I don’t know if it qualifies as underrated but I’m going with True Romance.
It was just on the other night. The scene with Dennis hopper and Walken Might be my all time favorite movie scene.
So if that’s a fact, tell me am I lying ?

True Romance was the first one I thought of before opening this thread. Another one that came out around that same time is Red Rock West with Nicolas Cage where he's a drifter in a small town who gets mistaken for a hired hit man and is asked to carry out a job.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
The Game

I remember watching that and thinking damn, that was awesome. I re-watched it and I realized how over the top implausible most of it was. I still remember that feeling though!
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
MTBSully wrote:
The Game

I remember watching that and thinking damn, that was awesome. I re-watched it and I realized how over the top implausible most of it was. I still remember that feeling though!

There are many parallels between it and my pledge experience, you get someone far enough down the rabbit hole, and they will buy into anything.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
American Beer (the 1996 indie movie, not the 2004 documentary). The writers lived just down the street from us so this is somewhat a biased vote.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think The Game was wildly overrated. I saw it when it came out and thought it was ludicrous. Over the top ridiculous, and while I can't remember too many details, I remember thinking how stupid someone would have to be to play the game in the first place.

Which is pretty much how a feel about fraternities and hazing, so maybe that explains why I hated the movie.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some good ones so far, I will add;

Harold and Maude

A Boy and His Dog

Unbreakable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fandango - 1985, Kevin Costner, Judd Nelson, Susie Amis Movie still reminds me of college in the 80s. Road trips and drinking were just part of life in those days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I love Royale Tenenbaums. Wes Anderson flicks aren't everyone's cup of tea, but the random, carefully-curated, layered, uncomfortably awkward humor resonates with me. It's a movie I can watch every so often and not get bored because there's always something new I pick up on and laugh at. It's one of those, "I just need to not think about anything but this" movies I can veg out with.

I have a hard time coming up with a better line from cinema:

Royal: Look, I know I'm gonna be the bad guy on this one. But I just wanna say the last six days have been the best six days of probably my whole life.Narrator: Immediately after making this statement, Royal realized that it was true.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Harold and Maude

A Boy and His Dog

Unbreakable
I'll +1 Unbreakable, I think that got a bad rap and M. Night's spiral (The Village was next, I think, then Signs) didn't help the reputation of that movie. I think there were some real nice cinematic touches in that movie, the way the clothes and colors reflected Willis' and Jackson's characters understanding of their 'powers' and that entire scene at the end was fantastic. Not a GREAT movie, but very good and much better than its reputation.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
monty wrote:

Harold and Maude

A Boy and His Dog

Unbreakable

I'll +1 Unbreakable, I think that got a bad rap and M. Night's spiral (The Village was next, I think, then Signs) didn't help the reputation of that movie. I think there were some real nice cinematic touches in that movie, the way the clothes and colors reflected Willis' and Jackson's characters understanding of their 'powers' and that entire scene at the end was fantastic. Not a GREAT movie, but very good and much better than its reputation.

Did you see "Split" yet? Interesting tie-in to Unbreakable at the end (and his next movie is supposed to tie the two together)
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated movies? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m throwing in ‘Stealing Beauty’.

It’s basically the director in love with an underage Liv Tyler for an entire movie. Now, that’s pretty wrong on many levels, but she’s older than me, so... must be okay,
Quote Reply

Prev Next