Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can we officially call them "gimmick rings" yet? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
Any ideas as to the type of rider who might 'prefer' a pedaling motion with more ankling than they can attain with round chainrings?

My sense is its pretty simple. Non round rings don't improve or hurt performance. So, if you happen to be having a good fitness day the first time you ride them, you may be inclined to attribute your good performance to the chainring. Those having a bad day might conclude they suck. Those having an ordinary day will believe they don't do anything.
EDIT: Of course there is also a large "belief" factor. If you believe, up front, that they will improve your performance then they very well might. If placebo wasn't important we wouldn't have to control for it.
Ride em if you like em.
Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by: Bio_McGeek: Nov 18, 17 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Can we officially call them "gimmick rings" yet? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Are specially shaped chain rings a more efficient way (compared to round rings) to collect this lower leg 'ankling' power?

In the next paper we'll report the efficiency during submaximal cycling. Or you can read the dissertation directly. I won't disclose but the simple answer has already been posted by Alex.
Quote Reply
Re: Can we officially call them "gimmick rings" yet? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:

So he got a PhD for a negative result...I guess it is a little bit easier these days, huh? All one needs is a null hypothesis.[/quote]

Lolwut? If I suspect that some orthopedic surgeries are no better than sham, and get phd funding to research a few common procedures that are not evaluated vs sham I can only get the doctorate if the surgeries turn out to actually be better than sham, because it's not "supposed to be easy"?[/quote]
I think that the highest achievement in academic training should show more than 'this also is not the way things work' type of statement. No?

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:

Then the questions become with upper and lower leg producing power in unison what mechanical setup is most efficient to obtain that power.

In natural pedalling the lower leg cannot produce effective pedal power, it is used in almost the same way as Alex S uses his prosthesis to transfer power from knee to pedal. But with a change in technique together with the foot muscles it can form part of a much more effective extended power stroke that can drive maximal tangential force through 12, 1 and 2 o'c. Circular and non round ring pedalling have somewhat similar problems, in both cases four changes are taking place around the pedalling circle and while the idea may look good in slow motion, as cadence increases any advantages begin to lose their effectiveness.
Quote Reply
Re: Can we officially call them "gimmick rings" yet? [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello perfection and All,

Gotta love that handle!

"Circular and non round ring pedaling have somewhat similar problems, in both cases four changes are taking place around the pedaling circle and while the idea may look good in slow motion, as cadence increases any advantages begin to lose their effectiveness." [sp and emphasis added]

Why?

And what is the measure of loss of effectiveness?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Can we officially call them "gimmick rings" yet? [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
mortysct wrote:

stephenj wrote:

So he got a PhD for a negative result...I guess it is a little bit easier these days, huh? All one needs is a null hypothesis.

Lolwut? If I suspect that some orthopedic surgeries are no better than sham, and get phd funding to research a few common procedures that are not evaluated vs sham I can only get the doctorate if the surgeries turn out to actually be better than sham, because it's not "supposed to be easy"?

I think that the highest achievement in academic training should show more than 'this also is not the way things work' type of statement. No?

Stephen J

No. Academic training should teach you that good science comprises formulating a hypothesis, designing appropriate experiments to test this hypothesis, including appropriate controls, and then truthfully and comprehensively reporting the results. If we knew which hypotheses were true or false from the outset, there wouldn't be any need for research to begin with.
Attitudes like yours are what's causing the very real problems we're having with confirmation bias in science. We need more reporting of negative results.
Quote Reply
Re: Can we officially call them "gimmick rings" yet? [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're quite right, but it's confirmation bias or being a 'yes man' that gets people further on in their careers I'm afraid. Any career where you move regularly is prone to people spinning BS to get promoted, then moving-on before the reality hits their successors.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Can we officially call them "gimmick rings" yet? [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
stephenj wrote:
mortysct wrote:

stephenj wrote:

So he got a PhD for a negative result...I guess it is a little bit easier these days, huh? All one needs is a null hypothesis.

Lolwut? If I suspect that some orthopedic surgeries are no better than sham, and get phd funding to research a few common procedures that are not evaluated vs sham I can only get the doctorate if the surgeries turn out to actually be better than sham, because it's not "supposed to be easy"?

Stephen J

No. Academic training should teach you that good science comprises formulating a hypothesis, designing appropriate experiments to test this hypothesis, including appropriate controls, and then truthfully and comprehensively reporting the results. If we knew which hypotheses were true or false from the outset, there wouldn't be any need for research to begin with.
Attitudes like yours are what's causing the very real problems we're having with confirmation bias in science. We need more reporting of negative results.
I agree with what you suggest academic training should be at the levels working up to a PhD. You are missing one important thing...scientists should know that if you are working on your PhD and find your hypothesis is incorrect and are not able to show anything new or unique from the work...well, that scientist needs to start over again if they want that degree. You don't just print up results and get the participation award. That is ANOTHER problem with science today. Scientists need the integrity to say that either this stuff is not for you, or to dig in deeper and figure out what the real answers are with better experimental design to address the shortcomings of the previous experiments. Even if that means you just wasted 3 years or more of your life due to a collaborators error. Your statement about knowing the outcome from hypotheses shows a bit of naivety about how the process works. If you don't have guiding experiments going in multiple directions at the same time to provide some directionality, you become too invested in a single path which forces you to continue down that path due to the investment (time and/or money). This leads to strong temptations to compromise scientific integrity. Don't make comments about my attitude without the data which actually supports your assertation.

Stephen J

Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:

"Circular and non round ring pedaling have somewhat similar problems, in both cases four changes are taking place around the pedaling circle and while the idea may look good in slow motion, as cadence increases any advantages begin to lose their effectiveness." [sp and emphasis added]

Why?

And what is the measure of loss of effectiveness?

Because the interaction between brain and muscles runs out of sufficient time to complete the changes or eventually even start the change. If you don't make a conscious effort to change your technique, how can you expect to gain an advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Don't make comments about my attitude without the data which actually supports your assertation

Your comments make me curious about your training. Where did you do your PhD and in what area?
How many PhD students have you trained?
Last edited by: Bio_McGeek: Nov 22, 17 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Can we officially call them "gimmick rings" yet? [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
stephenj wrote:
Don't make comments about my attitude without the data which actually supports your assertation

Your comments make me curious about your training. Where did you do your PhD and in what area?
How many PhD students have you trained?

If you are curious enough, look it up. Im not hard to find. If you would like to discuss further, please PM me. I don't thing this part of the discussion really adds to the forum.

Stephen J

Last edited by: stephenj: Nov 22, 17 18:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
If you are curious enough, look it up. Im not hard to find.

Yeah right. With your Slowtwitch user name (no real name in your profile) I'm gonna find your whole academic record.
You were willing to criticize Dr. Leong's PhD work but you're not willing to show your own credentials.
I guess its easier to be a critic than a craftsman.
Quote Reply
Re: Can we officially call them "gimmick rings" yet? [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
stephenj wrote:

Yeah right. With your Slowtwitch user name (no real name in your profile) I'm gonna find your whole academic record.
You were willing to criticize Dr. Leong's PhD work but you're not willing to show your own credentials.

Jim,
You must be kidding, or you are just plain incompetent. Your profile gives a dead link and no full name, mine has first and last name and you are criticize me? Even a web hack like me can find you by going to the university site and typing in your last name. If you are interested in my credentials try name with a patent search or even linked; and that is just the very easiest stuff to find. Heck, Ill even point you in the direction of a molecular biology search. Again, if you would like to take offline, PM me. I would be happy to have a spirited discussion about the black hole of academia; which takes more than just snippets typed in this type if interface. In sum, I don't believe that we differ too much in our outlook based on the bits we have written here...it seems we just diverge in the value we place on a degree program. Oh, and one stupid little thing that I hate to point out, but for some reason really annoys me...if you put Dr. before a name, then you do not put Ph.D. as well. That makes a person seem like a degree snob from my experience.

Stephen J

Quote | Reply
Thanks for letting me know I need to update my link.
Interesting that you don't see my name! When I click on your profile I get this. No real name, no location, no email.
stephenj
Hide User's PostsSend Private Message

Status
Registered User - Offline
Registered
Jan 2, 03 12:19
Last Logged On
Nov 23, 17 9:42
Local Time
Nov 23, 17 10:03
Real Name
No name entered.
No email entered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:
stephenj wrote:

Oh, and one stupid little thing that I hate to point out, but for some reason really annoys me...if you put Dr. before a name, then you do not put Ph.D. as well. That makes a person seem like a degree snob from my experience.
Stephen J

Note the possessive 's. I'm pretty sure that can be read as "the work Dr. Leong did during his PhD".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
stephenj wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:
stephenj wrote:

Oh, and one stupid little thing that I hate to point out, but for some reason really annoys me...if you put Dr. before a name, then you do not put Ph.D. as well. That makes a person seem like a degree snob from my experience.
Stephen J

Note the possessive 's. I'm pretty sure that can be read as "the work Dr. Leong did during his PhD".

sorry,
I missed the ' . I should read a little more carefully before I complain. I guess your questioning hit me a little more emotionally than I thought and I was getting careless. My mistake. Thank you.

Stephen J

Prev Next