Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman
Quote | Reply
Hi All :
I am new here, and I would like to know what is the recommended cadence for the bike part f the Ironman ? ( the cadence that makes your effort the best possible , without taxing your body for the next marathon run )
Best wishes , and thanks in advance
Humbardi
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [Humbardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cadence is one of the last metrics I'd concern myself with regard to cycling of just about any distance. Let your cadence naturally fall where it feels best. Some people gravitate towards higher cadence, some lower.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [Humbardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sutton says 70

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Sutton says 70

for inexperienced cyclists.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Sutton says 70

Exactly,

For inexperienced I recommend 67.5 to 69.5. For experienced or FOP I go with 70.5 to 72.5.

Basically you really want to stay away from the dead zone of 70.

2c
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if the race is in the Southern Hemisphere?

mauricemaher wrote:
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Sutton says 70

Exactly,

For inexperienced I recommend 67.5 to 69.5. For experienced or FOP I go with 70.5 to 72.5.

2c

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9/10

I think the EN plans suggest 70.5, but I feel that is cutting it awfully close.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
What if the race is in the Southern Hemisphere?

mauricemaher wrote:
sciguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Sutton says 70

Exactly,

2c

Well they all do that weird metric thingy so obviously you would multiply by 3.3 and pedal backwards to get the most event specific power based on current and accurate FTP test.

Having said that I don’t live there so We need to seek out advice from Salmon Steve, Alex s or molina. The most knowledgeable would be tribanter though.

We need more input from guys on the ground down there.

Maurice,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness, there seems to be a lot of debate on this one. I find Adam and Scott on the Training Bible Podcast to be pretty reliable, and they were suggesting to mix it up on an episode this summer. Not sure of the ratio or whatever, but at the desired power sometimes doing lower cadence to lean more on the muscular endurance and some higher to lean on the cardiovascular. Or something like that. They likely used the right terms.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
self-selected cadence is usually fine. unless you are way outside of the norm, 75-95. plenty of winners in the high and low end of that range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In training, low cadence to improve strength, high cadence to improve aerobic conditioning and pedaling efficiency.
In racing, whatever feels easiest at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cadence is a red herring. Thread closed.

If you really want a number or rule of thumb, the best I have ever heard was, very roughly, the cadence for any given effort is somewhat close to the percentage of threshold power utilized for that effort. So sprint racers might be close to 100rpms @ 100% of FTP while IM athletes seem to center around 70 rpms @ 70% of FTP. Cadence is an effect, not a cause. (Like stride rate on the run and stroke rate in swimming)

As a coach and bike fitter, I teach that if the fit (including crank length) is optimized, the right cadence is what feels best. If the athlete is consistently producing runs out of line with what should be possible, cadence would be a lower priority metric that might be examined as we try to figure out why. If the run is in line and the cadence feels correct, I don't care what it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:

Nonsense. The optimal cadence can easily be determined with rigorous indoor testing on a Velotron and Powercranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

Nonsense. The optimal cadence can easily be determined with rigorous indoor testing on a Velotron and Powercranks.

Sweet!
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

That requires two red herrings.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Sutton says 70

No. It's 78. If your male.

83 if female.

End of.
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
9/10

I think the EN plans suggest 70.5, but I feel that is cutting it awfully close.

Is that in metric revolutions per minute? My bike computer displays imperial circumvolutions per hot minute
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
[/quote]
What is this dead zone?

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Optimum Cadence for the the Bike leg of an Ironman [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

What is this dead zone?[/quote]
bad things happen there. really bad, unspeakable things.

I went there once, never again.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
bad things happen there. really bad, unspeakable things.

I went there once, never again.

The fact you made it out is impressive in and of itself, likely due to the prowess of your swim stroke.....

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it has everything to do with an athlete's ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch muscle fiber content. Those with a higher slow twitch muscle fiber content will tend to feel more comfortable with higher RPM's (85-100) while those with a higher percentage of fast twitch muscle fiber will be more comfortable with 70-85 RPM's. If it feels right, then it probably is normal for you. Pedal away.
Quote Reply