Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

#thatsracist!
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: #thatsracist! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see how people would be offended by that. I don't see what purpose it serves in the display.
Quote Reply
Re: #thatsracist! [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think getting offended by something as stupid as this is pretty stupid.

Having said that, given that half the world is offended by pretty much everything these days, why would anyone think that this part of this display is a good idea?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too.

It would be interesting to know the background of the person('s) who thought that was a good idea.

Duffy, what's your guess?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I can see how people would be offended by that. I don't see what purpose it serves in the display.

Agreed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea. This is going to keep Amazon HQ out of that racist state.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it is from Chicago, so I assume whomever set up the display merely tried to portray a Chicago neighborhood, one of the ones with the off-the-charts crime and murder rates.

At best it's in really poor taste.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: #thatsracist! [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Well it is from Chicago, so I assume whomever set up the display merely tried to portray a Chicago neighborhood, one of the ones with the off-the-charts crime and murder rates.

At best it's in really poor taste.

Somebody didn't read the article
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, gosh, this explains it - it was purely happenstance. I just wonder, if the cops were black and the 'folks' were white what might be the reaction? And why no Mexicans riding on top of the train illegally entering the country? Or a Muslim strapped with explosives? I mean, if you're gonna roll with it why not all the way?

/Dan Heche, President of the Lionel Railroad Club of Southeast Wisconsin, says if their layout offended anyone, it was unintentional, adding, “It certainly wasn’t done on purpose. It just happened to be set up that way.”/
Quote Reply
Re: #thatsracist! [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wonder, if the cops were black and the 'folks' were white what might be the reaction?

You're kidding, right?

There would be no reaction at all, from anyone.

Really, you can't accept the guy's explanation that the toy train set just got set up that way? How many train sets have you seen?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: #thatsracist! [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was joking - I just don't do pink. My entire response was tongue in cheek...
Quote Reply
Re: #thatsracist! [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I just wonder, if the cops were black and the 'folks' were white what might be the reaction?

You're kidding, right?

There would be no reaction at all, from anyone.

Really, you can't accept the guy's explanation that the toy train set just got set up that way? How many train sets have you seen?
Well and that's part of it: it's people who see race - and racism - in everything that get offended by a display like this.

I'd also like to point out that it strikes me as a progressive, #BLM type display if anything...two white state troopers overreacting to three black men minding their business on their property? What's racist are the two white officers!

In other news there was a weird back-and-forth between the Boston Celtics and Lebron James that involved a meme of Arthur scrunching up his first. Read some of the comments here...I swear people are truly losing their minds with some of this shit.
https://twitter.com/...s/930585532190601218
Quote Reply
Re: #thatsracist! [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
Me too.

It would be interesting to know the background of the person('s) who thought that was a good idea.

Duffy, what's your guess?

Here’s my take. In order to be offended by this depiction one would have in some way relate to those depicted. Since I don’t sit around by the train tracks and drink I’m not offended by a depiction of those that do. I just don’t really identify with people who do that.

And since I’m not a cop I don’t identify the depiction of the police officer either.

People who see other’s depicted in a scene like this and infer a connection to themselves based on the skin color of those depicted (and therefore get offended) are racists.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mistake, sorry. It's getting so hard to tell anymore.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, we don't know what the display was depicting. It could have been a small rural town in the 60s south. You know, a display to remind us of days long ago.
Quote Reply
Re: #thatsracist! [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was being sarcastic. Geez, you and Vitus are like my kids- you think if I say something that amuses me that somehow there's a requirement others are amused or get the joke as well. I'm really only here to entertain myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I was being sarcastic. Geez, you and Vitus are like my kids- you think if I say something that amuses me that somehow there's a requirement others are amused or get the joke as well. I'm really only here to entertain myself.

Oh no. I was entertained. So I followed with my own self-amusing reply.

Why join the TDS crowd? They're no fun.
Quote Reply