Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sauna for recovery?
Quote | Reply
Sauna for recovery??

Anyone do it? My lower back has been acting up for a few days, so after a short lunch brick session I'm sitting in the sauna at the gym. Seems to help a bit, placebo or not, good or bad? What say you all!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for recovery? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sauna makes heart beat faster, introduces a new stress to you (heat stress), increases plasma volume, hyperthermic conditioning. It's a mini workout on its own if you push your limits.

Try doing the opposite -- a 30 day cold shower challenge where all you take is cold showers for a month and see how you feel after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it loosens up my soon to be 64 year old arthritic neck better than anything else I've ever tried including massage. .....almost miracle like in the improvement I see from a 30 minute session.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for recovery? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hung out in the sauna and stretched, with shorts on ;-) for 10 minutes after my workout, and it's like night and day. I was really hoping to use the hot tub, but they don't have it filled yet....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used both the sauna and hot tub for recovery.

Stretch a little, meditate a little...I feel like it helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Saunas are at least good for heat acclimatization

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for recovery? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps it's cultural but here in scandanavia the sauna is semi religious and is a cure all for everything.
I have a sauna in my flat and I don't really like it but it is good for warming up my back before stretching. I do plan on using the sauna to adapt to warm weather next year. But I have said that for 2 years now and if I have one in my flat and don't bother don't hold your breath
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for recovery? [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
Sauna makes heart beat faster, introduces a new stress to you (heat stress), increases plasma volume, hyperthermic conditioning. It's a mini workout on its own if you push your limits.

Try doing the opposite -- a 30 day cold shower challenge where all you take is cold showers for a month and see how you feel after.

Depressed; because I had to look at my pecker get smaller than it already is for 30 days in a row...
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for recovery? [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m also Scandinavian, and use saunas quite a bit. My skin gets a bit dry from training and I feel that some sauna time does wonders for my skin!

Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for recovery? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much time per session, how frequently, and at what temperature?

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Sauna for recovery? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably do it 3x/week for about 10-15 min. Temp is usually 75-80° though I often do it warmer during the winter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on how hot the sauna is my husband and I sauna a lot after workouts but his family has a woodenly finnish sauna we get get piping hot and we stretch in there and it always feels so much better. A lot of the commercial saunas in gyms and hotels aren't hot enough to do much more than cause you to sweat. If you do sauna make sure you drink a TON of water because it'll dehydrate you like crazy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: I'm no doctor and I can't talk too accurately to the science of it all.

I have a two person infrared sauna at my house and using it for recovery is one of my main uses for it. I ran a 50 miler a few weeks ago and for the next few days after I did several really good sessions. I noticed an increase in the speed from feeling like shit to pretty good. I may be wrong but I look at it as sweating out toxins. (this time of year i feel like it helps me from getting a cold or shortening the length of one) I make a very conscious effort while i'm in a session to hydrate. Typically i wait for it to heat up to the 125 degree ball park and sit for two twenty minute sittings. Leaving briefly to cool down in between. I had to build up to have to be able to sit for that long. Usually by the time i'm done it has warmed up to 135ish.

I have had my sauna at the house for a year and half or so and love it. I would recommend it 100%.

I believe someone else in the thread posted about taking a cold shower for a month. I have done this as well and felt like a million bucks when I was done. However it goes without saying that taking a shower went from relaxing to a bit of a challenge. I simply nutted up got in the shower and got done what I needed to do. If not anything else it will save you a great deal of time over the month.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's also night and day regarding muscle soreness.
I use both the sauna and the steam room. I usually do 20min steam room, 5 minutes cold bath, 15min sauna.
Quote Reply