Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique My Bike Upgrade Plan of Attack
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch Nation:

I currently ride a 2014 Wilier Blade with Reynolds Strike wheels and a moderately aggressive fit. Using best bike split's aero analyzer over multiple races I appear to have a cDa of between 0.24 and 0.245. I am 5'10, 155 lbs and wear an LG course M2 speed suit and Giro Aerohead helmet. From reading around on this forum as well as other wind tunnel testing data, it would appear that there are still some reasonably significant aero gains to be had. Here is my plan of attack to hopefully get down to around 0.22 cDa

Race Wheels: Upgrade from 60 mm Reynolds Strike to Enve 7.8 or Zipp 808
Cockpit: Upgrade from FSA Vision Trimax to Tririg Alpha X or the new Tririg "one" (brake/shifter cables are a mess as it stands, I would clean all of that up as well)
Front Brake: Upgrade from Ultegra side pull to Tririg Omega
Fit: Pay for another Retul fit, this time with the goal of maximizing aero efficiency

As a whole, I expect these upgrades to cost about $4k. My question is - will this get me where I want to be or is my Wilier Blade frame not up to the task? Spending an additional $2-3k to get a "superbike" is not out of the question, but if I can get my current frame to a similar performance level I'd rather save my money. What do you guys think?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Bike Upgrade Plan of Attack [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have any interest in saving money, I don't think the Zipp or Enve wheels are the way to go! Surely a rear disc or wheel cover is a better option and if there's much to be gained over the Strike at the front I'd rather go with HED Jet 9 Plus for the front. Is there any definitive evidence that the extra expense of the Zipp and Enve options gains you ANY performance advantage? The HED should at least equal them aerodynamically and brake better, at a lower cost.

What events are you going to be competing in?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Bike Upgrade Plan of Attack [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be focusing on 70.3s and will be racing in local sprints/olympics as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go see Jim Manton at ERO before you buy or do anything else. Get fitted by him and he will be frank with you if your current bike is going to work for you. Your fit with him may end up needing a few upgrades anyway (new cockpit, bars, etc) in order to make your fit numbers. Or he will tell you that you need a bike that fits you and will give you a list of bikes that will fit your coordinates.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Nov 15, 17 12:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Choosing some pretty expensive upgrades there. You can sell your bike on eBay, take that roll it into your budget and buy a decent new bike. The wheels and bars alone you are looking to get are 3k. Enve 7.8’s are the hottest wheels going right now. Not going to find a used set cheap. I’d do what Steve said and go from there.
Last edited by: mike s: Nov 15, 17 13:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Sell the Reynolds 60 wheels, get a used set of Zipps or HEDS or ENVE or whatever is fastest for you.
  • Sell the frame and get a fast superbike frame and front end.
  • If you really care about CdA, you'll get into a wind tunnel and optimize. BBS aero analyzer is a fun toy, but inaccurate.

If I had 4 grand, this is what I'd do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low hanging fruit:
1. Optimize your fit
2. Optimize your clothing and helmet
3. Optimize your tires, tubes and air pressure
4. Disc cover
5. Cheap front wheel (used trispoke?)
6. Shave your arms

Moderate fruit:
1. Replace front wheel with deep Hed or Zipp or Enve
2. Shoes
3. Remove cables by going electronic
4. Aerobars (tririg?)
5. Tririg front brake

High hanging fruit
1. Aero crankset
2. Ceramic speed stuff
3. Aero pedals
4. Dash seatpost/saddle combo
5. Single ring set up maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique My Bike Upgrade Plan of Attack [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Low hanging fruit:
1. Optimize your fit
4. Disc cover
6. Shave your arms

Moderate fruit:
1. Replace front wheel with deep Hed or Zipp or Enve
2. Shoes
3. Remove cables by going electronic
4. Aerobars (tririg?)
5. Tririg front brake

High hanging fruit
1. Aero crankset
2. Ceramic speed stuff
3. Aero pedals
4. Dash seatpost/saddle combo
5. Single ring set up maybe?

nice summary.
ive been thinking of updating my bike and have spent a lot of time thinking it through. this list confirms what i have come to believe as a pragmatic approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be clear, my ultimate goal is to get down to a cDa where I am leaving seconds on the table instead of minutes. I guess this all stems from Kileyay's study where he managed to get his Felt B series on par with the superbikes. If I can do the same with my mid grade bike and save a few thousand bucks then that's my preference. If it takes ponying up for a superbike then I am willing to take that route as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Low hanging fruit:
1. Optimize your fit
4. Disc cover
6. Shave your arms

Moderate fruit: