Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If You Are Hit by a Car--bikewoke.com
Quote | Reply
This is a neat resource put together by the UCLA grad student who was hit from behind a few years ago:

http://bikewoke.com/

It has plenty of sound advice on what to do and what not to do right after being hit. She's clear about the need to collect evidence for your own protection and makes it clear that you should take the ambulance ride even if you don't think you are all that hurt!

Lawyers are a nice resource but they're not going to do much good if you are not seriously injured. So if you are in a crash but not seriously hurt, you'll be fighting this on your own. And that means protecting yourself if they or their insurance company decides to sue you.

Here's the article from bicycling.com

Quote Reply
Re: If You Are Hit by a Car--bikewoke.com [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Tortoise wrote:

It has plenty of sound advice on what to do and what not to do right after being hit. She's clear about the need to collect evidence for your own protection and makes it clear that you should take the ambulance ride even if you don't think you are all that hurt!

So. freaking. True.

I got hit two years ago and ended up short changed because in a concussed cloud of confusion opted to forego the ambulance ride. Had I gone, I would have had evidence that I had a fairly serious concussion... well, evidence in addition to my helmet that split into two pieces.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: If You Are Hit by a Car--bikewoke.com [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Desert Tortoise wrote:

So. freaking. True.

I got hit two years ago and ended up short changed because in a concussed cloud of confusion opted to forego the ambulance ride. Had I gone, I would have had evidence that I had a fairly serious concussion... well, evidence in addition to my helmet that split into two pieces.

That's the primary reason to take the ride.

Too many cyclists act like they're tough because they're cyclists and cyclist are tough. Right?

Not when you've been hit.

When you hit the ground, you must call on your powers of transformation and become a soccer player. Just take the ride and be cool about it. They might find a serious injury that you weren't aware of under all that adrenaline. Either way, the insurance company is also less likely to sue you and far more likely to cover your bike. If you don't take the ride, you will almost certainly get blamed and be left counting your losses.

Traffic laws often placed the insurance company in control of determining fault, not the police. Think about that for a moment and then take a guess whom they are going to blame. If you're on a bike, you are an easy target under many state laws even if you were hit from behind.

Take the ride. It could move the crash to personal injury law which insurance companies fear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for posting this. Everyone should review just to avoid the same mistakes she initially made. Stay safe...you never know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like a good resource, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desert Tortoise wrote:

Lawyers are a nice resource but they're not going to do much good if you are not seriously injured.

Now you are giving out poor and false advice. Plaintiffs’ attorneys file bs claims on minimal to no injury all the time. If you have a potential legal situation, at least try to get a lawyer . Let them decide if your claim isn’t worth it. The rider Should’t make that determination on their own accord.

Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 16, 18 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: If You Are Hit by a Car--bikewoke.com [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Desert Tortoise wrote:

Lawyers are a nice resource but they're not going to do much good if you are not seriously injured.

Now you are giving out poor and false advice. Plaintiffs’ attorneys file bs claims on minimal to no injury all the time. If you have a potential legal situation, ar least try to get a lawyer . Let them decide if your claim isn’t worth it. The rider Shoupdnt make that determination on their own accord.

Where's your conflict of interest disclosure?
Quote Reply
Re: If You Are Hit by a Car--bikewoke.com [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I’m a defense attorney. And I don’t do personal injury. Don’t want the advice, then ignore it. I don’t care.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 16, 18 13:07
Quote Reply