Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit question - Moving the saddle and stem forward together
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about going from a 90mm stem to a 120mm stem and moving my saddle forward the corresponding amount. That way I can keep my position, but (in my mind) rotate around the bottom bracket and get in a more forward position. I've been having some calf pain on my right leg and I'm wondering if doing this could maybe alleviate some of it but changing the plane on which my lower leg moves. Maybe more similar to my tri bike where I haven't experienced the pain as much.

Does this make any sense?
Quote Reply
Re: Fit question - Moving the saddle and stem forward together [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To Keep the same leg extension, you'll probably need to raise the saddle and bars as well. All dependent on how much you move forward.

With that said, I'm not sure it's a great tactic for dealing with calf pain.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fit question - Moving the saddle and stem forward together [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
To Keep the same leg extension, you'll probably need to raise the saddle and bars as well. All dependent on how much you move forward.

With that said, I'm not sure it's a great tactic for dealing with calf pain.

Thanks! Why do you say it's not a great tactic?
Quote Reply
Re: Fit question - Moving the saddle and stem forward together [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This question depends on so much. What is the setback and overall position right now for starters? I can imagine some instances where what you suggest would accomplish what you hope, but rolling the dice with injuries is not a good long term tactic. I would suggest trying to determine what is actually wrong with you, and then proceeding with possible bike fit or off the bike solutions. If you're setback is "ideal" right now, coming forward 3cm could cause more issues than it solves. If your setback is 11cm and you're 5'9", that's another story. Are you doing any type of pulling up / scraping mud / perfect circle pedaling?

Other questions would be:
1. How long have you been cycling?
2. How much do you ride?
3. Is the pain in one leg or both?
4. What level of pain are we talking about?
5. When did it start?
6. What are you doing about it, and is it helping?
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Nov 14, 17 4:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check your cleat alignment, maybe move them back a little on your shoe and adjust seat height if a toe down peddler.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit question - Moving the saddle and stem forward together [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IOW, just guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit question - Moving the saddle and stem forward together [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
IOW, just guess.

Pretty much, without seeing them in person that is all you can do.
Quote Reply