Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stupid bruised ribs/strained intercostals
Quote | Reply
Luckily it only hurts when I breathe...sneezing is a motherfucker.

I hate rib injuries. Similar to when you fuck up your back, you don't realize how important and engaged those elements are until you do something basic, like sitting, and it turns into a clinic on pain.

Frustrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid bruised ribs/strained intercostals [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain.
Literally.
I broke several ribs a few weeks ago while installing a post for my kids BBal set. It hurts to sit up in bed.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've bruised/broken ribs on no less than six occasions. It's always the same deal; 5-6 weeks of shallow breathing, plank-like movements, and constrained wincing. Good luck!

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid bruised ribs/strained intercostals [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've broken ribs twice before. I'm pretty sure I didn't break anything this time, _just_ a bruise or strained musculature. Still a literal pain, esp. since I can't stop having to pick up my toddler at least a dozen times a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve torn the intercostals three times in the last five years.

Sucks.

Rest up. Don’t sneeze.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
I've broken ribs twice before. I'm pretty sure I didn't break anything this time, _just_ a bruise or strained musculature. Still a literal pain, esp. since I can't stop having to pick up my toddler at least a dozen times a day.

That sounds miserable. I don't recall ever having this problem when my kids were young, so I guess I should be grateful.

My last experience was a year ago, courtesy of a shoulder to the chest during pick-up soccer. For the better part of a month, I had to wedge a pillow beneath my hips so that I could roll out of bed without using my upper body. As Duffy said, don't sneeze. Or cough.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hit by a pick up truck and had 12 broken ribs and 2 collapsed lungs. Breathing was not easy...
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid bruised ribs/strained intercostals [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
wimsey wrote:

That sounds miserable. I don't recall ever having this problem when my kids were young, so I guess I should be grateful.

My last experience was a year ago, courtesy of a shoulder to the chest during pick-up soccer. For the better part of a month, I had to wedge a pillow beneath my hips so that I could roll out of bed without using my upper body. As Duffy said, don't sneeze. Or cough.

Yah, sucks, and it's my own damn fault. I started doing Brazilian jiu jitsu this summer and am really liking it. Earlier this week I did my first class that wasn't a pure beginner class and was rolling with some bigger and more experienced guys. Since I still have very little idea what I'm doing, I mostly was just struggling and flailing around while I got manhandled, and was often trying to muscle my way out of things for lack of having meaningful skill to apply - seems that wasn't the best strategic plan. Felt ok for a couple hours after, then that evening things started to hurt, and by next morning I was in significant pain.

Tried lying about the cause to mrs wimsey because she's all "you can't do fight club if it means you aren't able to be a basically competent husband/father/person who deals with shit around the house". Tried telling her I hurt myself moving something at work, to which she responded "you're a damn lawyer, what were you moving, a 5000 page license agreement", which was a pretty fair response, though in hindsight I really should have had a better fib lined up.

So now I have to keep doing my husband/father/deal with shit around the house stuff because I want to keep doing fight club, which means I have to pick up the son when he's doing ill-advised things like trying stick his face in the dog's water bowl to blow bubbles. He's learning some good compound curse words though.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid bruised ribs/strained intercostals [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I was hit by a pick up truck and had 12 broken ribs and 2 collapsed lungs. Breathing was not easy...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was an oxycodone poster boy. I took 2 pills every 4 hours for 2 months...still surprised I didn't become an addict.
Quote Reply