Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing societies...
Quote | Reply
It seems amazing how quickly American culture changed in regards to gay issues. It seemed like it only took 3 or 4 years for a huge societal shift on how being gay is viewed in the country.

I see the same thing happening in regards to sexual harassment. I don't think I am imagining that more allegations of sexual harassment have came out in the last 3 months than the previous 3 years. And I think this is going to have more legs because it seems that these world class jerks fall across the entire political spectrum.

I think this is good. I wonder what has caused these things to change to quickly?
Quote Reply
Re: Changing societies... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what has caused these things to change to quickly?

More people feeling the need to express outrage over every injustice (some real, some imagined) combined with a means of spreading their outrage with social media.

The mass outrage has made people very wary of offending others because the anger spreads so quickly. People have to say what everyone else is saying out of fear of being isolated and attacked.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Nov 9, 17 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears the #MeToo worked . . . though Trump (very public sexual offender) is still POTUS
Quote Reply
Re: Changing societies... [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
It appears the #MeToo worked . . . though Trump (very public sexual offender) is still POTUS

Not all dinosaurs died from the meteor impact. Some lingered on for a while until the change in climate got them.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's changed or is currently in the process of changing in your workplace in regard to sexual harassment?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Changing societies... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

More people feeling the need to express outrage over every injustice (some real, some imagined) combined with a means of spreading their outrage with social media.

The mass outrage has made people very wary of offending others because the anger spreads so quickly. People have to say what everyone else is saying out of fear of being isolated and attacked.

Younger people are more accepting of social differences and as they age, society changes.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Changing societies... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Younger people are more accepting of social differences and as they age, society changes.

I am reminded of that saying, "If you aren't a liberal when you are young, you have no heart. If you aren't a conservative when you grow up, you have no brain."

This describes me just about perfectly.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Changing societies... [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

Not all dinosaurs died from the meteor impact. Some lingered on for a while until the change in climate got them.

When is it going to affect Bill Clinton? He still lingers...

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Changing societies... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You pretty much nailed it. Young people are hyper aware to the possibility of being stomped on if they step out of line. At least the smart ones are. They worry something might get on the internet where they are labelled and it follows them around.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply